DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Looking it up, shit, it even counts the first Iron Man. So strike that, Marvel then Star Wars.

Jesus he's been in big franchises.

Sam is also in the upcoming Tarzan movie with Stellan Skarsgård's son and Skull Island. How many dudes are on studio speed dial like him?

I don't imagine it touching Avatar, I actually think it will be lucky to pass Titantic. Star Wars was always more of a US IP than a Global one, not saying it wasn't popular in other countries but even before this movie came out that was always my impression. All the prequels hovered around 47% of their total coming from domestic (which is around where VII is) while Avatar was 72% and Titantic was 70%.

All this may change if VII re-releases at some point, like other movies in the top few have (Avatar, Titantic, and Star Wars). But I think for this run, 900 domestic and 2 billion global are realistic goals at this point (we will know more this weekend, depends on how much Star Wars drops).

Assuming this counts, but i bet it picks up some money in a couple years as a re-release when part 8 comes out.

This is fair though, it might get there in a later run. This is how a ton of Disney's animated properties got so high on the list and since Disney owns Star Wars now...

The Revenant took number one Friday by a healthy margin over Star Wars. TFA might not cross 800 until Monday or Tuesday instead of Sunday.

Yeah, never mind all that. Did about 31 combined Saturday and Sunday estimated to hold off The Revenant 41-38, and Storm past 800, now at 812.

900 domestic looks likely, and 1 billion isn't completely out of the realm of possible.

53 million in two days in China.

Also, domestically at least, The Hateful 8 is kinda sorta bombing. Just 41 million through its second weekend.

That isn't a huge surprise, or I assume it shouldn't be. Tarantino has never been a big box office guy, his movies are a bit too 'out there' for the average movie goer. 

I may be wrong on this but I remember Iinglorious and Django both feeling like bigger deals, like they did more to promote them and maybe this time felt like all they had to do was run a few commercials this time saying 'hey the new Tarantino!" and it would be automatic.

Like, for Inglorious there was a pretty big buzz and Django was all "OMG it's going to be so controversial Nword!!!!"  Jamie Foxx hosted SNL.  Like, they did more stuff.

I also remember being straight up told before each of those opened that they were amazing.