DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Well, according to those always beloved "sources" WB were absolutely shocked by the negative reaction from critics, and the mixed reactions from audiences. They reportedly thought it would be widely adored.

It's also going to have the biggest domestic open of any movie not to cross the billion dollar mark worldwide ever.

It's not a failure, but it's really hard to call it a success.

You could say It accomplished a couple things.  

1. Most people liked Batman and are looking forward to the Affleck solo

2.  Though limited in screen time, Wonder Woman was a success and sets up her movie.

Audiences have been introduced to this new universe and if Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are financial/critical successes then maybe Justice League will be the hit they want it to be.

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not sure what they were expecting. I thought around a billion was what it'd do so it's definitely going to underperform some but if they were expecting around 1.3 then that's a mistake.

According to Deadline's sources, execs would have been happy/content with $800 million, even though the film won't be "theatrically" profitable until $925 million (i.e. it won't be). It'll climb out of the red with Blu-ray sales, PPV buys and such.

9 hours ago, Dog said:

According to Deadline's sources, execs would have been happy/content with $800 million, even though the film won't be "theatrically" profitable until $925 million (i.e. it won't be). It'll climb out of the red with Blu-ray sales, PPV buys and such.

$800M seems light for what they were spending but maybe they did realize getting this whole thing off the ground wasn't going to be easy and nobody at WB wanted to play the long game of here's some origin stories let's hope people like them..

Jungle Book has one more weekend to make all of the money.  Keanu is 81% FRESH~! and that makes me feel really good.

I need to find someplace that is showing Green Room...

Civil War is at 93% Fresh.  I suspect the RT rating will drop a bit before next week.  That shouldn't prevent a $180+ Million opening weekend.

Zootopia is only about 1.5 million behind BvS domestically

It made roughly $5 million this week. BvS only did 3.8

Of course at the rate it is going - Jungle Book is going to blow by both of them

• Like 1

Per Variety - Huntsman: Winter's War will end up costing Universal between $30 - $70 million

Basically $30-$40 seems certain - the rest depends on how much Universal actually spent on marketing (figuring that once it tanked in the first week - they pulled most of the advertising)

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per Variety - Huntsman: Winter's War will end up costing Universal between $30 - $70 million

Basically $30-$40 seems certain - the rest depends on how much Universal actually spent on marketing (figuring that once it tanked in the first week - they pulled most of the advertising)

All that talent for such shit. . . .

Captain America did as expected (very well), now it is just a test to see what its week to week drop is. Zootopia re-passed BvS, and Jungle Book will still catch both of them domestically unless it suddenly tanks for no reason (its theater count actually went up, so unlikely). That's my weekend recap.

Disney shattered the records Universal set last year for fastest to 1 billion domestic and 2 billion worldwide.  With Finding Dory and Rogue One still on the schedule, they have an excellent chance of breaking Universal's domestic single year record of 2.4 billion, also set last year.

• 2 months later...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-analysis-warcraft-avoids-910268

Can someone smart explain the numbers here to me.  Apparently the Warcraft movie cost $160 million to make and pulled in $430 million worldwide.  But they're saying it will lose $15-30 million.

So how does a movie that cost $160 million to make need to make $450 million to break even?  advertising can't cost $300 million can it?  Or can it nowadays?

Is this one of those things where the producers are playing with numbers so they don't have to pay people points or something?

Yeah. Theater chains get screwed the most when a movie like that performs poorly, because by week 3 or 4 when they're getting 80% of the sales there's maybe two people in each screening. The ticket economics are why a trip to the concession stand costs the same as visiting an Applebees or Fridays. 

And depending on contracts, some of what the studio brings in might go to royalties, especially in this case with Blizzard quite possibly have points on the gross.

Also Hollywood Accounting is a thing.

Also also some countries (China) the cut to the studio is a lot less than here.

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - if folks wonder why they keep making Purge movies

Estimated $10 million budget - currently has made $71 million

The Purge is this generation's BEACH BLANKET BINGO.

Actually, as I type that as a joke, it starts to make sense. 

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Secret Life Of Pets is a massive hit. Mojo predicted its win, and I think so did pretty much every other box office tracker.

Fair enough. I don't follow box office predictions, and hadn't seen much advertising for Secret Life. I just figured Ghostbusters had a decent chance of being the summer's top hit.