DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

• 3 weeks later...

Batman vs. Superman had a pretty epic second week drop and is projected to make between 350 and 400 million domestic (but probably not hit 1 billion International). It should pass Deadpool but it isn't a lock, should have a better idea after next weekend. Obviously still a money maker and a success but not on the level of the bigger super hero movies the last few years, should land it in the Top 10 for comic adaptations but below the last two Batman movies.

I am too lazy to go back multiple pages but I think that is about where a few people said it would land, with it not reviewing well it got the big first weekend but it won't have much holdover power. Not sure where the franchises go from here, I don't think they have announced a stand-alone movie for either. But I can't keep track of all the combined Justice League etc. movie plans.

Edited by Kevin Wilson
Realized calling it a 'big' money maker might be too generous since it probably cost 300+ to make with marketing. Thank God for International sales.

There's an article on Deadline that's pretty outlining how if it breaks even at the box office (estimated at $900M worldwide which is crazy that they spent $400M on this) then at minimum they will still profit around $200M on all the other shit like blu ray sales and whatever. 

I think the universe is safe and Justice League will happen and everything else BUT you have to think WB is going to be a little disappointed and will be watching Snyder like a fucking hawk.

If nothing else, this is some ammo against the trolls who keep whining that nobody is going to see the new Ghostbusters movie.  Even all by herself and in a movie which looked like shit and had zero preexisting fanbase, Melissa McCarthy is still a Draw with a capital D.  

Jungle Book opened with $103 million (2nd largest April opening ever)

Barbershop made just over $20 million which was below projections but most admit that was due to under estimating the force of nature (pun intended) of Jungle Book. Still has pretty much made it's budget and has good reviews so should continue to make a nice little profit. 

Huntsman bombed hard with 20 mil domestic (but 80 mil International), I guess that is not the direction the fans wanted the franchise to go. It still may make its money back if the International market stays strong but definitely not what they had in mind. I think this makes it clear that Chris Hemsworth is not a draw, he better keep re-upping those Thor contracts and not decide he wants to do something different. I know actors don't like being typecasted but if your typecasting nets you 5 mil a year for 10 years (my made up numbers) I'd say enjoy it and retire early.

I thought the only reason the original Snow Wight did well was because all the Twishite fans went to see it? Why would a sequel without Kristen Stewart be expected to succeed?

• Like 1

So unless there are any openings I've missed, the fact that Zootopia is earning more worldwide and domestic than B vs S this weekend means that at least the global box office will end higher. I consider this a victory for good over evil.

31 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Zootopia is over $900M worldwide now. It could cross a billion.  Batman v Superman is over $850M now. It's done well in foreign markets. If the U.S. numbers were a little better it would have crossed a billion pretty easily.

I dunno if I would consider over 100 million away by the time the final numbers are in just "a little better."  Obviously both franchises are fine, I am just sure that isn't the number they were hoping for from a movie featuring two different major franchises. Whether that was due to tepid reviews, the general storyline, Batman fatigue, etc. I am sure that is something they are looking into. It made money of course, but it won't be a Top 5 movies for 2016.

I'm not sure what they were expecting. I thought around a billion was what it'd do so it's definitely going to underperform some but if they were expecting around 1.3 then that's a mistake. It's a new Batman and it's a Superman that some people liked and some people didn't like. They couldn't have thought it would receive universal praise. There was no reason to spend as much as they did on the project but it made enough to move forward so I guess that's going to be okay. If Justice League underperforms then there's a serious problem.