DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Out of them, otherwise I'd certainly up vote your infinite-number-of-monkeys-typing-Shakespeare logic.

So you've been to the Hanna-Barbera compound.

Sadly, I've seen all (13?) of the 79 Godzilla series. They were on in the afternoons during mid 1990s from time to time. These were dark times.

• 2 weeks later...

Frozen passed Iron Man 3 to become the 5th highest grossing movie of all time (worldwide)

It apparently has been #1 for 11 weeks in Japan

Looking through some of the older box offices but it only took like 11 weeks but the 2nd Muppets movie eked past it's reported $50K budget (it has made $50.6K)

Now to be fair - it has made another $27 million worldwide but still 

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, despite being out on blu-ray/dvd/streaming/etc, The Lego Movie is still selling tickets, and actually went back ahead of Winter Soldier for #1 on the year, by a little less than 20,000 bucks.

Deadline is saying the new Transformer movie might finished right at the line of the $100 million barrier.  They probably won't know until tomorrow, but it's going to be pretty close.  I find this fascinating because no film this year has cracked the $100 million opening release barrier yet.

For some reason, I think this Transformer movie will drop off fairly fast in the coming weekends.

I wouldn't even hate Bay so much if it wasn't for the TRANSFORMERS movies. They are that bad. He'd still kinda suck without them, but when he does more human scale stuff like the BAD BOYS movies or PAIN AND GAIN, there are at least some things to like about those movies. I get nothing out of his hideously designed robots having endless, indecipherable fight scenes while obnoxious humans scramble around beneath them.

I can't even enjoy them on a "Turn your brain off and enjoy the robots and 'splosions" level because the robots are that atrocious and lifeless-looking and the action is incomprehensible.

Fuck those movies. It's 2014. I could close my eyes and wander down the halls of a cineplex, and odds are I'll stumble into a movie with robots and/or explosions. No one should have to settle for this shit anymore.

I would go back and stop his obsession with making everyone glossy in his movies. Everybody looks like they used a honey baked ham as a pillow the night before filming. I mean he has used like three DPs for the Transformers series, but everyone has that same look. I know Mokri kinda did it in Man of Steel so Bay and him were a natural fit for the 4th movie.

Visually, his films are just absurd in every way imaginable. I watched Pearl Harbor on AMC a few months back and was just blown away at the action sequences (the scene where Guy Torry dies was also fucking hilarious). In terms of story content, just a lot to be desired. These movies are a CHORE to get through. Pain and Gain is the only one I can watch multiple times.

Dear America:

Please stop encouraging Michael Bay.

Actually, dear industrialized world:

Please stop encouraging Michael Bay.

(It had the best opening day for a non-domestic film in China ever this weekend as well, part of making 80 million at the foreign box office on Friday alone.)

I used a free pass to see Bayformers 4 since my friend wouldn't stop bugging me about going to see it last night. It was so stupid and long that by the time they got to the Hong Kong scenes, I was getting acquainted pretty well with the back of my eyelids. Bay's penchant for making every human into colossally stupid assholes in these things made me want to put my head through a wall. Also, there's a kill early on that's so Michael Bay that I laughed out loud for a good minute.