DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Oculus made $12 million this weekend. It's budget was only $5 million so it already is one of the few WWE related movies that will turn a profit.

It made more than Draft Day - which made less than $10 million which clearly is not good

Winter Soldier also passed $200 million. I wonder how much extra can be attributed to coming out earlier to get the jump on everyone (vs. being a better movie or other factors)

Unsurprisingly considering the timing - Heaven is For Real made $21 million

Haunted House 2 - while only making $9 million - had a budge of $4 million. So we will probably see 8 more of them

Oculus is up to over $21 million so I am sure the WWE will rave about it eventually on an investors conference call

Winter Soldier also passed $200 million. I wonder how much extra can be attributed to coming out earlier to get the jump on everyone (vs. being a better movie or other factors)

Unsurprisingly considering the timing - Heaven is For Real made $21 million

Haunted House 2 - while only making $9 million - had a budge of $4 million. So we will probably see 8 more of them

Oculus is up to over $21 million so I am sure the WWE will rave about it eventually on an investors conference call

I would bet that the timing is a factor. Its much better than the first one, but not having any competition for the action movie market is sure helping. Same thing for Frozen. I would imagine that means the summer movie season is going to begin in April from now on. . . 

"What if computer Johnny Depp could use more than 10% of his brain?!??"

ScarJo will try to answer this question in Lucy aka Transcendence's more badass cousin with an equally hilarious plot.

If the 100% of your brain drug really does allow you to access the internets with no device or stop bullets with your mind, I'd take that injection..

When my friend told me that Transcendence doesn't even have the comic decency to have Depp finish his sentences with, "End of Line," I knew it was a worthless movie.

Would have settled for:

BE VIGILANT

Anyone who understood the above, good for you.

Sadly, no.

It's an adaptation of the "true story" book about a kid who had a near death experience and woke up saying he had been to heaven.

With Son God (reusing footage from an already aired tv show!), God is Not Dead (a film about philosophy that would apparently fail a 101 course in philosophy!) and now this, the relatively low budgeted Christian indie film market is booming right now.

Although I would love to know the numbers of actual attendance vs. tickets sold, since apparently a lot of the larger churches in the country are buying tickets for these movies in bulk.

"Heaven is for Real"

I assume this is a movie about a 12 year old boy discovering his dad's giant hidden stash of Playboy magazines?

I was at a friend's house once and we stumbled on exactly this...his old man's stash.  But the first page we turned to had a cartoon of the Fonz, (what?  It was like 1979) but with a huge cartoon schlong fully erect..and he was looking at us with a huge smile on his face, giving the thumb's up and saying "EYH!!!!"

We couldn't stop laughing for like two years.

Sadly, no.

It's an adaptation of the "true story" book about a kid who had a near death experience and woke up saying he had been to heaven.

With Son God (reusing footage from an already aired tv show!), God is Not Dead (a film about philosophy that would apparently fail a 101 course in philosophy!) and now this, the relatively low budgeted Christian indie film market is booming right now.

Although I would love to know the numbers of actual attendance vs. tickets sold, since apparently a lot of the larger churches in the country are buying tickets for these movies in bulk.

Son God sounds like a way better film than Son of God. 

Also, the South Park Faith+1 logic totally applies to movies now. That's hilarious.

Posted this in the Marvel Studios thread but it also belongs here:

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Captain America: The Winter Soldier has now stormed past the $600 million mark worldwide, outperforming the first instalment of the Marvel Studios franchise by an incredible 158%. After earning over $100 million in China (its second highest grossing territory outside of North America), the movie has also earned a whopping $205.3 million domestically. Add the latter to the $396.3 million overseas - meaning that, yes, it is just a day or so away from passing $400 million internationally - and you have a $600 million haul which makes this one of Marvel's most successful solo outings yet. Now it just remains to be seen whether or not it will surpass Thor: The Dark World ($644.8 million) and Iron Man 2 ($623.9 million)! The site believes that Captain America: The Winter Soldier will in fact double Captain America: The First Avenger's $371 million though, so it more than likely will beat both of those by sailing past the $700 million mark in the coming weeks. That would make it the second highest grossing Marvel Studios solo movie behind Iron Man 3. How much do you guys think it will go on to earn worldwide?

Credit: comicbookmovie.com

That's some going by Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Posted this in the Marvel Studios thread but it also belongs here:

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Captain America: The Winter Soldier has now stormed past the $600 million mark worldwide, outperforming the first instalment of the Marvel Studios franchise by an incredible 158%. After earning over $100 million in China (its second highest grossing territory outside of North America), the movie has also earned a whopping $205.3 million domestically. Add the latter to the $396.3 million overseas - meaning that, yes, it is just a day or so away from passing $400 million internationally - and you have a $600 million haul which makes this one of Marvel's most successful solo outings yet. Now it just remains to be seen whether or not it will surpass Thor: The Dark World ($644.8 million) and Iron Man 2 ($623.9 million)! The site believes that Captain America: The Winter Soldier will in fact double Captain America: The First Avenger's $371 million though, so it more than likely will beat both of those by sailing past the $700 million mark in the coming weeks. That would make it the second highest grossing Marvel Studios solo movie behind Iron Man 3. How much do you guys think it will go on to earn worldwide?

Credit: comicbookmovie.com

That's some going by Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

I have no clue what Hollywood is going to do when the superhero bubble bursts.

"OK, I've got it: How about a movie based on...Snakes and Ladders! With Liam Neeson."

Oh no, it's just fortunate timing that is fueling Cap 2's roll through the box office. Surely it cannot be the quality of the incredibly well received movie. All pure luck.

"Quality" is relative.