DVDVR Message Board

2022 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

We were one of those families where the only thing in R rated movies that was off limits for us as kids to watch was sex, which I’m sure has made me very normal. My mom rented the Robert Englund Phantom of the Opera and Bram Stoker’s Dracula for me when I was 6 on the condition I let her know if a titty popped up so she could fast forward. 

• Haha 2

I've mentioned it before, but I was watching Caddyshack regularly around the age of 4 or 5. I have no idea how, but I don't think I even registered the nudity and sex scenes in that movie until I got closer to my early teens. I'll just chalk it up to caring more about literally everything else about that movie being hilarious and not caring about nudity or sex at that young of an age.

I watched Halloween a lot as a little kid too, but Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th were a bridge too far for my parents. My parents and what they would let me or not let me watch was fucking weird and made no sense.

And I think my first R rated movie in a theater was Alien 3. Again, really fucking weird that my parents would be fine with me watching Alien or Aliens on repeat, but Nightmare on Elm Street? Get the fuck out of here. Also, the massive disappointment of being an Alien fan, going to Alien 3 in the theater, and the first thing you see is that all of the cool people that survived from Aliens except for Ellen Ripley died. What a stupid, stupid movie. I left that theater with my dad asking him why didn't they make a good final Alien movie.

Final, lol.

I don't think I was ever specifically told that I couldn't see something. I watched a lot of stuff, but I was always scared of being in trouble as a kid, so I kind of policed myself. That didn't last once I got into music. I was forbidden to have stuff with the parental advisory sticker on it. That was until my friend Shane showed me the simplistically genius work around of just blacking out the sticker with a Sharpie.

The funny thing with my generation (I'm 44) is that we'd watch things that weren't necessarily inappropriate for kids, but that just weren't intended for kids at all. Everyone I know watched Golden Girls growing up. I used to watch like St. Elsewhere with my mom. I watched Empty Nest regularly. Why the fuck would any 10-year-old want to watch Empty Nest?

• Like 1

I was the youngest of 3 and had pretty permissive parents so I watched a bunch of shit as a kid that I probably shouldn't have.  The one that fucked me up the most was watching Robocop at 9 or so, which I only saw because there was a line of Robocop action figures that I thought were cool.  

The only things I remember my dad ever barring me from watching were Natural Born Killers and Beavis & Butthead, both of which I immediately watched anyway.

• Like 1

At the risk of being unpopular... I'm really not liking what I'm seeing there.  And as soon as I saw "Writer of Bohemian Rhapsody", I knew why.  

First, it doesn't look like Naomi is doing the singing (if she is, she's locked up the Oscar because she sounds like an exact copy of Whitney).  

Second, it doesn't look like there's any conflict in the movie for Whitney to struggle with. Aside from "not being black enough" which is delicately put, problematic. 

It looks like the Super Bowl performance is going to be the climax and that's just going to be boring. Because, at least for me, most of the interesting stuff in her life happened after that.  Starring in The Bodyguard (with the side of getting the highest selling single of all time), the relationship with Bobby Brown, the cast-off of radio play for her in the late-90's, subsequent problematic behavior, the re-rise of her career in the late '00's, and eventually, her accidental death.  

There's *SO MUCH* there... but it looks like a hagiography (...like Freddy in Bohemian Rhapsody) and not a dramatic re-telling of the actual life of a woman who is arguably, the greatest singer of the 20th century. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This will answer a couple of your questions and confirm some of your suspicions

I Wanna Dance With Somebody is a co-production by The Whitney Houston Estate and Primary Wave. Due to the blessing of Houston’s estate and Davis, the project has been authorized to use the late singer’s catalog and vocals.

So Ackie isn't singing and its doubtful the Estate is gonna be all AIR ALL THE DIRTY LAUNDRY~!

• Thanks 1

I would have just turned 8 when I went with my parents to see Stripes, that's the first R rated film I remember seeing in the theater, also saw 48 Hours later that year. My parents went with the "they won't get it" when it came to the more adult things in R and even PG rated flicks back then, but we'd get the "Even though it's funny don't repeat what Bill Murray or Eddie Murphy said to ANYONE!". 

• Haha 1

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  And there are ways of doing her struggles without being exploitative.  Struggles with addiction are a real problem in society writ large, and telling the story of someone who had all the gifts in the world and could still be brought down by her own addictions, is a very important story that should be told at some point.  

Of course, yeah, the family's going to want no part of that, so we'll get a two hour music video.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

They made Whitney: Can I Be Me and that's all you need from a movie about Whitney. Dramatizing that stuff would be super exploitative... which means it probably needs to happen, but I'm sure the family doesn't agree. 

Related to this, I hate it when there is a dramatic movie made about a story that already has a great documentary. The most recent one I can think of is Man on Wire->The Walk.

• Like 2

Seriously, soooo many inappropriate movies as a very young child.. No doubt a by-product of being poor white trash growing up in the boonies of Florida and having few options for movie-going. Probably saw every stewardess, cheerleader, and nurse film ever made. And both of my parents smoked like chimneys with the windows rolled up so that we could hear the speaker better. Some kids had Farrah posters. I was lucky enough to have somehow acquired a beat up print of Gator Bait.  This was balanced out by a heavy dose of the classics on the Million Dollar Movie-type TV programming. And summer children's films at the nearest walk-in theater that you could get cheap tickets for through your school. Films like Ring of Bright Water (That ending! Yikes!!!) and other slightly weird European films, as well as Disney films like The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes

As inappropriate as it may have been, I credit that upbringing with my very wide-ranging tastes in cinema. Thank (insert your favorite deity here)!

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think the very first movie I ever went to wasn't proper for a child! Masters of the Universe, which I saw when I was five, had a DEAD PARENTS subplot. Surely Dad had to be groaning when he was watching that (aside from the groaning related to the rest of the movie). 

I loved He Man and was so excited for that movie. Then I went, and it was like, "Who the fuck are these people? Why does everyone look different?" I was so disappointed. This may have actually been the first time I saw a movie I was excited for and hated it.

Cut to this year. My son is really into He Man. He sees this movie is streaming on HBO Max and wants to watch it. I'm busy, so I let him watch on his own. He comes downstairs after its over and says, "Dad, that movie was not good. Why'd you let me watch that?"

• Haha 3

On 9/15/2022 at 10:38 AM, (BP) said:

We were one of those families where the only thing in R rated movies that was off limits for us as kids to watch was sex, which I’m sure has made me very normal. My mom rented the Robert Englund Phantom of the Opera and Bram Stoker’s Dracula for me when I was 6 on the condition I let her know if a titty popped up so she could fast forward. 

LOOOOOOOOL my mom would watch with my brother and I and would cover our eyes at the sex parts.  We could watch Nazi Lycanthropes tear a dude's throat out in American Werewolf in London but a shower sex scene with Jenny Agutter and the Dr. Pepper commercial guy was just a bridge too far.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:59 AM, Craig H said:

I watched Halloween a lot as a little kid too, but Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th were a bridge too far for my parents. My parents and what they would let me or not let me watch was fucking weird and made no sense.

My older sister and her boyfriend took us to see Elm Street in the theater, so I would have been 10.

22 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I would have just turned 8 when I went with my parents to see Stripes, that's the first R rated film I remember seeing in the theater, also saw 48 Hours later that year. My parents went with the "they won't get it" when it came to the more adult things in R and even PG rated flicks back then, but we'd get the "Even though it's funny don't repeat what Bill Murray or Eddie Murphy said to ANYONE!". 

I know I saw 48 Hours on the aforementioned SuperTV, so I was probably 8 or 9 maybe?  I definitely remember hanging with a friend the same age and quoting the movie.  "There's your goddamn dinner!" 

• Like 1