DVDVR Message Board

2022 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 9/15/2022 at 1:01 PM, Mister TV said:

I would have just turned 8 when I went with my parents to see Stripes, that's the first R rated film I remember seeing in the theater, also saw 48 Hours later that year. My parents went with the "they won't get it" when it came to the more adult things in R and even PG rated flicks back then, but we'd get the "Even though it's funny don't repeat what Bill Murray or Eddie Murphy said to ANYONE!". 

I love that RIPPA posted the trailer for the new Walter Hill film and someone is talking about the time they saw 48 Hrs in the theaters as a kid. Just for the racism component alone with Nick Nolte, I would say your parents made a dubious decision at best. Still one of my favorite films of all time just for James Horner's Ennio Morricone lite score alone, but that's not something you let your kid see.

Re: Whitney

I stated this in past and I saw Dolfan say the same thing recently: I don't want to see "Your Wikipedia Entry: The Movie". For me at least, I take most of these biopics with a grain of salt anyway especially now when it seems like the estates are heavily invested in the cash grab. I mean they've been working on a Richard Pryor biopic for at least 15 years after he passed away. Guess what? They made a biopic already. It was called Jo Jo Dancer: Your Life is Calling. That's his story and the most honest portrayal we're ever going to get. That doesn't mean Mike Epps or Marlon Wayans or whoever else was rumored to play him wouldn't have done an admirable job. However, no one is going to top Richard Pryor playing himself or Debbie Allen's brief but unforgettable cameo in the film. It won't happen. Films are made entirely different now.

On top of that, it feels like people are trying to play it safe (with a few exceptions) instead of going the way of the 70s, 80s, and 90s by weaponizing biopics. If you're of a certain age, your only reference for Joan Crawford is Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest. If I didn't know better, I would think Laurence Fishburne IS Ike Turner. I mean 95% of black people seem to think he is. There are more pictures of Larry as Ike Turner than Ike Turner based on the memes. And that's sort of the issue of depicting folks as over the top cartoon characters instead of actual people. Fishburne did an AMAZING job, but now spousal abuse is a meme because he made some amazing faces with that ridiculous mod haircut wig. What should have been Tina telling her truth is now reduced to memes thirty years later because Hollywood got way too creative with the storytelling. A lot of that stuff didn't happen (matter of fact, a lot of the timelines don't add up as well). Based on what actually did happen, they could have made the same film with a more resounding effect especially for women who have been abused. On one hand, I don't want to see sequential events with some passable acting. On the other hand, I don't want to see real people made caricatures when the truth would have sufficed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I keep joking that I need create a Video Game adaptation thread - the latest

Gran Turismo

Directed by Neill Blomkamp

David Harbour has been cast as the lead

The film has also added Orlando Bloom and Archie Madekwe (based on descriptions, it looks like Bloom is playing the lead villain)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I love that RIPPA posted the trailer for the new Walter Hill film and someone is talking about the time they saw 48 Hrs in the theaters as a kid. Just for the racism component alone with Nick Nolte, I would say your parents made a dubious decision at best. Still one of my favorite films of all time just for James Horner's Ennio Morricone lite score alone, but that's not something you let your kid see.

Re: Whitney

I stated this in past and I saw Dolfan say the same thing recently: I don't want to see "Your Wikipedia Entry: The Movie". For me at least, I take most of these biopics with a grain of salt anyway especially now when it seems like the estates are heavily invested in the cash grab. I mean they've been working on a Richard Pryor biopic for at least 15 years after he passed away. Guess what? They made a biopic already. It was called Jo Jo Dancer: Your Life is Calling. That's his story and the most honest portrayal we're ever going to get. That doesn't mean Mike Epps or Marlon Wayans or whoever else was rumored to play him wouldn't have done an admirable job. However, no one is going to top Richard Pryor playing himself or Debbie Allen's brief but unforgettable cameo in the film. It won't happen. Films are made entirely different now.

On top of that, it feels like people are trying to play it safe (with a few exceptions) instead of going the way of the 70s, 80s, and 90s by weaponizing biopics. If you're of a certain age, your only reference for Joan Crawford is Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest. If I didn't know better, I would think Laurence Fishburne IS Ike Turner. I mean 95% of black people seem to think he is. There are more pictures of Larry as Ike Turner than Ike Turner based on the memes. And that's sort of the issue of depicting folks as over the top cartoon characters instead of actual people. Fishburne did an AMAZING job, but now spousal abuse is a meme because he made some amazing faces with that ridiculous mod haircut wig. What should have been Tina telling her truth is now reduced to memes thirty years later because Hollywood got way too creative with the storytelling. A lot of that stuff didn't happen (matter of fact, a lot of the timelines don't add up as well). Based on what actually did happen, they could have made the same film with a more resounding effect especially for women who have been abused. On one hand, I don't want to see sequential events with some passable acting. On the other hand, I don't want to see real people made caricatures when the truth would have sufficed. 

I saw 48 hours as a kid and it wasn’t till I saw it again as an adult that I noticed all the racism. Not trying to say when your a kid it all flies over your head but I was watching the movie for Eddie Murphy so Nolte was the secondary background character for me. 

31 minutes ago, FourPostMassacre said:

I saw 48 hours as a kid and it wasn’t till I saw it again as an adult that I noticed all the racism. Not trying to say when your a kid it all flies over your head but I was watching the movie for Eddie Murphy so Nolte was the secondary background character for me. 

Yeah as a kid it was all about Eddie Murphy, I doubt I was even paying attention to the movie when he wasn’t on the screen.

22 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It’s not like Siskel & Ebert, Leonard Maltin, or Gene Shalit said anything about Nick Nolte’s character being super racist in their reviews. I think the thing that got me to be able to go is that I was a huge Eddie Murphy fan(most Saturdays were movies then the first 30 minutes or so of SNL), and it was pushed as an Action-Comedy. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

It’s not like Siskel & Ebert, Leonard Maltin, or Gene Shalit said anything about Nick Nolte’s character being super racist in their reviews. I think the thing that got me to be able to go is that I was a huge Eddie Murphy fan(most Saturdays were movies then the first 30 minutes or so of SNL), and it was pushed as an Action-Comedy. 

Sure, but at the same time, it's not you can only see a film once during the first week of its theatrical release and/or word of mouth doesn't spread even pre-internet. Keep in mind, Eddie's stand up comedy at the time was definitely not PG or PG-13. It's not like he was a Bob Saget where once he became a star all his TV stuff was mostly kid oriented but all of his standup was still him working blue. Add in the fact, Walter Hill's movies were pretty damn graphic before 48 Hrs. He was also one of the guys behind Alien as well. You probably should preview it just to be on the safe side before you bring your kids along.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Sure, but at the same time, it's not you can only see a film once during the first week of its theatrical release and/or word of mouth doesn't spread even pre-internet. Keep in mind, Eddie's stand up comedy at the time was definitely not PG or PG-13. It's not like he was a Bob Saget where once he became a star all his TV stuff was mostly kid oriented but all of his standup was still him working blue. Add in the fact, Walter Hill's movies were pretty damn graphic before 48 Hrs. He was also one of the guys behind Alien as well. You probably should preview it just to be on the safe side before you bring your kids along.

In 1982 Eddie Murphy’s stand-up wasn’t something most Americans had seen or even really knew of, his first album came out around the same time as 48 Hrs, Delirious didn’t hit HBO until October 1983 and the Comedy Club boom hadn’t really started yet. Murphy was THE star of SNL back when that meant something, plus a star from SNL doing a movie was a huge deal, that’s the main reason 48 Hrs. was a hit. It was 1982 and very few people left the theater talking about how racist Inspector Jack Cates was, it was all about Eddie. With that all said, one of the movies theaters we used to go to usually had a video game or two in the lobby, so my parents may have counted on me and my cousins(we usually hit the movies as a group with my family, my aunt & uncle and cousins) would be playing Defender or Centipede.

This was before PG-13 and while 48 Hrs. would have been an R in any era, it also lead to a lot of kids going to R rated movies that might not have after PG-13 hit the scene.

3 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

It was 1982 and very few people left the theater talking about how racist Inspector Jack Cates was

Eh, they probably should have. That's definitely my point. Maybe I am just super attentive to it as a black person, but it's even super jarring 40 years later because you don't even have that type of dialogue in film in the last 10 or 15 years. You can argue Tarantino films, but that's his lane and people expect that going in. That film is still groundbreaking. I get that Eddie was a star especially considering he wasn't just on SNL, he was SNL along with Joe Piscopo in sort of that down era. However, unless your parents are just stupid or blissfully ignorant, I don't see why anyone wouldn't see Nolte's character as anything but problematic. That said, Jack Cates is somehow a little bit more tame compared to Nolte in Q&A. Still a very dubious decision to let your kids watch that type of stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Eh, they probably should have. That's definitely my point. Maybe I am just super attentive to it as a black person, but it's even super jarring 40 years later because you don't even have that type of dialogue in film in the last 10 or 15 years. You can argue Tarantino films, but that's his lane and people expect that going in. That film is still groundbreaking. I get that Eddie was a star especially considering he wasn't just on SNL, he was SNL along with Joe Piscopo in sort of that down era. However, unless your parents are just stupid or blissfully ignorant, I don't see why anyone wouldn't see Nolte's character as anything but problematic. That said, Jack Cates is somehow a little bit more tame compared to Nolte in Q&A. Still a very dubious decision to let your kids watch that type of stuff.

Going in my parents would have been ignorant of the things Jack Cates would have said, afterwards during the talk about not repeating things said in the movie could it have come up, I straight up don’t remember.

Circling back to what started the discussion, a lot parents let kids watch R rated movies back then, that’s why Beverly Hills Cop 2 won a Kids Choice Award. 

We can have this discussion on the SNL thread, but the Eddie Murphy era of SNL wasn’t a down time, it was as big as the show ever was, Lorne Michaels went to the Vince McMahon school of re-writing history. 

32 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Going in my parents would have been ignorant of the things Jack Cates would have said, afterwards during the talk about not repeating things said in the movie could it have come up, I straight up don’t remember.

Circling back to what started the discussion, a lot parents let kids watch R rated movies back then, that’s why Beverly Hills Cop 2 won a Kids Choice Award. 

We can have this discussion on the SNL thread, but the Eddie Murphy era of SNL wasn’t a down time, it was as big as the show ever was, Lorne Michaels went to the Vince McMahon school of re-writing history. 

Oh, I definitely accept that's part of what shaped Gen X which makes it all the more hilarious when you get all these articles about something being wrong with millennials. I dunno why someone who is probably an older Gen X (or maybe on the cusp of Gen X) would be surprised that their kids are rebellious, profane, irresponsible, socially inept, or just plain out of control. It's basically a science experiment. Yes, there are bunch of kids who would somehow be able to absorb that content they saw growing up from films, TV, music videos, etc. and come out completely normal. A lot of them though? Not so much.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:46 PM, The Natural said:

Nostalga, money, trying to use the popularity of Cobra Kai.

I remember watching the first Karate Kid movie as a kid, a little of the sequels to it, ditto the Jackie Chan reboot. Never seen Cobra Kai.

Cobra Kai is amazing. Seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2022 at 3:44 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

That may have been me!  I watched it on cut rate Baltimore cable, though, not in the theater.  And hey, I grew up in a whiter, lower middle class section of the city.  Racism was a feature, not a bug.  Nick Nolte's character was typical of most middle aged guys there at that time.  It's pretty horrifying to reflect on it and realize my parents had absolutely zero awareness of how racist it was as opposed to "that's how we talk."  Oof.

My wife and I tried to watch it a few years ago (I hadn't seen it since I was a kid) and we turned it off in short order.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths

Next film from Alejandro G. Iñárritu

Hits theaters on Nov 18 and then hits streaming Dec 16

Looks like Inarritu has outdone himself, there's some insane camerawork going on just in the trailer. Looks Jodorowsky influenced too.

Paramount has officially pulled Star Trek 4 from its release schedule

Not necessarily a surprise since Matt Shakman left as director last month

The movie had been scheduled for Dec 22, 2023

Oh god, please let the reviews on that be awful.  I don't know if I can sit through two hours of weeping like a little kid at...

Well...

Spoiler

The full name of the movie is Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies.  

That being said... yay, mainstream gay cinema?