DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2022

RIPPA

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I imagine it's that someone with alopecia can't be expected to be available as much as someone without alopecia, but I generally spend zero time trying to figure out what disabilites are actual disabilities and which are not.  I just know that alopecia is on the list.

This is an incredible post. “I fully acknowledge that I have done zero research into the facts of this issue, but now allow me to definitively tell you the facts.”

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

This is an incredible post. “I fully acknowledge that I have done zero research into the facts of this issue, but now allow me to definitively tell you the facts.”

do you even america bro

• Like 1

A Michael Rapaport reaction video Tweet would be really funny probably. Just him yelling and cursing about it. 

Anyway, the reason I'm familiar with alopecia is that Martin Van Drunen from Bolt Thrower and Asphyx had it and that led to him leaving BT due to some sort of hair-shame, though he says it was a breakup out of lack of respect. He's got his long hair back so I suppose he isn't wearing a wig. It goes into remission.  

EDIT: It would be pretty crazy to lose ALL THE HAIR ON YOUR BODY though. Like, my eyebrows? Really? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 3/30/2022 at 5:24 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Update re: Will Smith, the Academy released a statement saying he was asked to leave and refused. Does not get any more specific. 

TMZ is disputing this, saying three different sources "with direct knowledge who were present" told them the producer of the Oscars (Will Packer) told Will Smith "we don't want you to leave" - but others involved backstage wanted him to be booted, some didn't. Of course, these sources could be Will Smith's team or something, who knows, but still. CNN mentioned earlier that they're already having discussions about Chris Rock hosting next year and how all of this could boost the ratings, so, y'know... shot themselves into a work? I fully expect something next year with the two of them on stage at this point.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

TMZ is disputing this, saying three different sources "with direct knowledge who were present" told them the producer of the Oscars (Will Packer) told Will Smith "we don't want you to leave" - but others involved backstage wanted him to be booted, some didn't. Of course, these sources could be Will Smith's team or something, who knows, but still. CNN mentioned earlier that they're already having discussions about Chris Rock hosting next year and how all of this could boost the ratings, so, y'know... shot themselves into a work? I fully expect something next year with the two of them on stage at this point.

Whoopi Goldberg, who is a governor for the Academy, has said they didn't ask Will to leave.  She said they didn't because it would have delayed the show (somehow) and would asking a black man to leave would have been a bad optic.

As goofy as that reasoning is, it makes a whole lot more sense than "well, we asked him to leave and he said no so *shrug*".

• Like 1

And, in case anyone was wondering, Rock basically ignored the whole thing with Smith at his first comedy show afterward.  Said he had a whole show written and wasn't going to talk about it but at some point asked "so, how was your weekend?"

Anyways, what's the ideal length of time for Chris Rock to appear as a presenter at a future Academy Awards, only to do a bit where "wait, this isn't the right envelope" and then Will Smith comes out to give him the right envelope?

Guess we'd have to see how everybody feels after they do the somewhat predictable joke where Chris Rock gets exaggerated security dudes.

It just hit me that there was probably a moment a few weeks ago when you could have gone to that weird place that takes bets on any situation and laid a bet that "This year both the Razzies and the Oscars will have to rescind their top acting award." and they would have given you like 500 billion to 1 odds and you'd be sooooo close right now.

55 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Domingo is double super cancelled, make it Yo Yo Ma dueling Bela Flek with cello bows.

And yes, the opera world has pretty big "handsy old man" problems.

Oooooo... forgot about Placido. That seems so long ago now

James

I know this is an unpopular stance,  but maybe slapping comedians needs to happen more often (not really,  but still). This same person says she was traumatized and in the fetal position from seeing Will Smith slap Chris Rock,  but wants to joke about someone accidently killing someone. Slapping someone is an extreme reaction,  but we should probably stop acting like people should be able to get away with saying anything as long as it's in the firm of a joke. I really hate the righteous indignation this whole thing has brought out in people. Between Jim Carrey, who doesn't have a moral leg to stand on,  Amy Schumer, and Bill Maher, the reaction is way worse than the crime at this point. Will Smith should not have slapped Chris Rock,  but I don't find myself disliking Will Smith for having one bad public moment in 30 years of fame. Most of these people who are reacting to the slap are making me dislike the fuck out of them. People can do bad things and not be bad people,  the piling on is unnecessary. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Countdown to the announcement of a new actor "The Midnight Rider", starring in Wild Wild West 2.

No no, to outdated. Will is just gonna shave and pretend to be his own brother

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• RIPPA unfeatured and locked this topic
  • RIPPA unlocked this topic

Three months later and I think I can safely reopen this.

Jennifer Hudson reached EGOT status by winning a Tony last night - the 2nd youngest woman to do so

She was a producer on A Strange Loop which won Best Musical (RuPaul, Don Cheadle, Mindy Kaling, Billy Porter, and Alan Cumming are also producers)