Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage: The First Dance - 8/20/21


Recommended Posts

Yeah, Jericho put over MJF big time. 

1 minute ago, just drew said:

Rumors are abound on the twitter machine that TAFKA Bray Wyatt was in the audience last night. His 90 day running out the week of Halloween seems too good to be true...

Didn't really look like him. The tattoos were missing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Yeah, Jericho put over MJF big time. 

Didn't really look like him. The tattoos were missing. 

I can't tell. I think I want Wyatt to be somewhere where he can create characters to his heart's desire so bad that my mind might be making that guy look more like Wyatt than he does...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

I can't tell. I think I want Wyatt to be somewhere where he can create characters to his heart's desire so bad that my mind might be making that guy look more like Wyatt than he does...

If all he wants to do is create characters, he should just sign up for Brandon Cutler's D&D group, and try to die every session.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn’t have the opportunity to watch live today but got caught up with the multi-million viewed Twitter and YouTube clips. You really couldn’t have hoped for a better reaction/timing and content/delivery from the man himself. Like I posted previously, Punk is the guy who kept my wrestling fandom through the mid 2000’s, until I discovered this wonderful place (and lurked for 13 years).
To see all the pieces fall as they have in the last 2+ years, and presumably winning Punk over with every turn from his self-proclaimed paranoia to ‘hey, I could do something with these guys, I could be something for these guys’…it really is the goldilocks scenario. A year later and COVID kills the infant in its crib. A year earlier and the free agents aren’t there for a Movement. Fair play to Punk, and it was the classy tight lips over Brodie’s condition by all accounts that won him over in the end.

Anywho, the anticipation/speculation + grown men crying in the moment = why I love this sport.

Edit to add: I may or may not be responsible for at least 10 of those views of each of the vids screenshotted by @The Natural

Edited by Custos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Custos said:

Didn’t have the opportunity to watch live today but got caught up with the multi-million viewed Twitter and YouTube clips. You really couldn’t have hoped for a better reaction/timing and content/delivery from the man himself. Like I posted previously, Punk is the guy who kept my wrestling fandom through the mid 2000’s, until I discovered this wonderful place (and lurked for 13 years).
To see all the pieces fall as they have in the last 2+ years, and presumably winning Punk over with every turn from his self-proclaimed paranoia to ‘hey, I could do something with these guys, I could be something for these guys’…it really is the goldilocks scenario. A year later and COVID kills the infant in its crib. A year earlier and the free agents aren’t there for a Movement. Fair play to Punk, and it was the classy tight lips over Brodie’s condition by all accounts that won him over in the end.

Anywho, the anticipation/speculation + grown men crying in the moment = why I love this sport.

Edit to add: I may or may not be responsible for at least 10 of those views of each of the vids screenshotted by @The Natural

Same, my friend. Well put.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

4,4 million views after about 12 hours. I think this PUNK guy moves the needle after all. 

If even a quarter or half of those people start tuning in consistently, it would be hard to paint this as anything short of legitimately game-changing

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, DeathyBoy said:

That will go down as one of the greatest wrestling moments of all time. To quote Magneto… “the war has begun.”

Yeah, well, y'all will be eating so much shit tomorrow when Logan Paul's Raw appearance outdraws Punk's return.  I mean it, Vince is serious!!!

  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Rumors are abound on the twitter machine that TAFKA Bray Wyatt was in the audience last night. His 90 day running out the week of Halloween seems too good to be true...

This picture was posted on Twitter there’s speculation that it’s Bray Wyatt or Windham Rotunda if you’re into using Government names

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know a lot of the enthusiasm for WWE has died on this board, but the fact that there's fewer replies in the Smackdown thread, than there is PAGES of replies in the Rampage thread, really says a lot. And SD was the go-home show for a Big 4 PPV, no less.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love that they simply opened the show as per usual and then let those chants ring out for just a moment before that iconic music hit.  Excellence of execution.  It was a simple thing, but letting that crowd reaction just soak in for one segment before the promo was absolute perfection.  

All that said, beyond the groundshaking Punk segment, hilarious how weak this card actually was for this huge crowd.  You'd think they'd put a little mustard on the Dark tapings, but no dice.  Looks like just run of the mill Monday-Tuesday stuff.  Not to mention a super rushed (tho completely acceptable) Rampage card.  Ha, not that any of that matters in the least.  It'd be pretty difficult to find anybody disappointed by being there for what is likely to be looked back upon as a pivotal point in the pro wrestling industry going forth.  

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

E9SZ3dsXEAcaUit?format=jpg&name=small

P.s. Loved watching Tony Khan's glee during that media scrum.  What an absolute hero!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

I know a lot of the enthusiasm for WWE has died on this board, but the fact that there's fewer replies in the Smackdown thread, than there is PAGES of replies in the Rampage thread, really says a lot. And SD was the go-home show for a Big 4 PPV, no less.

And it has already been like that for a few weeks or months before this. The waning interest has been going on for years now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched it again last night in the front room and it was even better to watch the second time around. I think my mind was too in the moment (and also we were on the Discord) to appreciate it fully. That image of Darby and Statue Sting in the rafters is powerful as hell.

EDIT: I have to admit though... I'm waiting for Danielson. THAT is when I will completely and totally lose my shit.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the end, all a pro wrestling fan ever really wants is to feel like they're part of the show. It's created senses of entitlement at times. It's gone out of control as they try to lead the product instead of following it, but that's not really their fault; it's the fault of the company and wrestlers not understanding them, anticipating them, shaping them, guiding them, and yeah, manipulating them. It's true for someone in 1986 who is cheering for Ricky Morton (or 81 for Tommy Rich) to try to get him empowered for a comeback, or someone who's chanting Larry Sucks to get under Zbyszko's skin or Paula at Orndorff (or Beach Bum at Muraco) to get him them react. It's true for someone in 1999 singing along with the Rock's catchphrases or carrying the sign that they hope gets on TV. It's true for someone shouting What or Yes or yeah CM Punk. And like I said, when it goes wrong, it's the fault of the wrestlers and the company, usually at least. Don't quote me on this next time I fume at some entitled fans, but deep down, I blame the guys in the ring and the creative forces behind them. 

There are serene moments where it all comes together and the fans really get what they want. Hogan beating Shiek, Warrior beating Honky Tonk Man, WMX, XX, XXX. XXX had the bonus element of really making them feel like they were behind it, that they had contributed, that this was them as part of the win as well, that they diverted the flow of history. That played out last night too. It was a company that they basically crowdfunded into existence. Khan's money and TV connections were the fuel, but All In was the match that lit it. They supported it through the pandemic. They watched the show, interacted on social media, bought tickets when they could, bought merch. And they were rewarded by getting what they wanted for years. Just like the fans empowered Ricky Morton to come back against Flair in 86, they brought something of themselves into existence in AEW, and they brought CM Punk back to a life in wrestling. It was a hell of a thing.

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently a few people were trying to dunk on the fan who was crying on camera. Some people in the business, even. Which has caused a few people in the business to decide they really want to embrace the guy. Like this:

 

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apparently a few people were trying to dunk on the fan who was crying on camera. Some people in the business, even. Which has caused a few people in the business to decide they really want to embrace the guy. Like this:

 

The people dunking on him are pathetic losers who live in a sea of anxiety over what people think of wrestling. I’ve seen it a lot on Twitter and Reddit, these are the sort of people who are almost embarrassed to admit they watch wrestling because they think people will make fun of them for it. It’s actually kind of hilarious, grown ass adults worried about what strangers think of their hobbies.

Which is why I give crying guy props. He literally does not give a fuck about what people think of him, he’s reacting genuinely to a heartwarming moment. I’d take a million fans like him over the Twitter, Squared Circle, Scott Keith brigade.

 

  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apparently a few people were trying to dunk on the fan who was crying on camera. Some people in the business, even. Which has caused a few people in the business to decide they really want to embrace the guy. Like this:

 

Good on Tommy Dreamer. Cool seeing how much it meant to that fan seeing CM Punk return to wrestling after seven years.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apparently a few people were trying to dunk on the fan who was crying on camera. Some people in the business, even. Which has caused a few people in the business to decide they really want to embrace the guy. Like this:

 

Tommy Dreamer is truly one of the good guys in wrestling.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we're all clear, when I brought up crying guy last night, that was just an example to show the bigness of the moment. The last thing I want is to be lumped in with these assholes giving him a hard time. I myself was very nearly a little choked up, the only reason I made it through was because I had to give my girlfriend 8 years of backstory in that 90 second break, so I got real fired up going THE ROCK WAS THERE AND SO WAS KANE AND THERE WAS A PODCAST AND Z PAKS AND FEDEX AND LAWYERS AND AEW TRIED TEXTING HIM AND THEN FOX AND THEN...

  • Like 6
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I know a lot of the enthusiasm for WWE has died on this board, but the fact that there's fewer replies in the Smackdown thread, than there is PAGES of replies in the Rampage thread, really says a lot. And SD was the go-home show for a Big 4 PPV, no less.

Just had a look and you have to put together the threads for the past 5 WEEKS of Raw and Smackdown (25 hours of TV) + the Summerslam thread just get the same amount of discussion this 60min of Rampage has generated (so far). 

Even if interest on WWE is down here, it’s still pretty ridiculous how stark the difference is. Even the weekly Dynamite episodes get 10-15 pages of chat on the regular.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention, buddy of mine texted me last night asking "what happened with the whole CM Punk thing". The other day I had to describe to him what AEW was because he'd seen commercials and noticed Sting. His roomie said "well if it's not Sting then it's some guy who looks like the Crow" haha. So, there's you view from the super casual perspective (he's familiar mainly through my interest). 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...