Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?


Gonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Peck said:

MLW is downsizing. They just got rid of 5-10 people over the past 1-2 weeks, some of whom were just signed a month before. Granted, I'm sure they didn't know this was coming but I'm not sure if that changes their business model.

If there's ever a time to ramp things it's up it would be after they sign some of those released.  I think they can do really well if they wanted to.  And if ROH decided to snap up quite a few even under Sinclair I would consider watching.

As for those cuts I expected them all to be gone at some point because that's just how WWE is.  Yes, even Nia though I have a theory as to why though don't want to derail the conversation.  But she's the only one I'm not sad to see cut for obvious reasons.

EDIT:  This was mentioned on Discord by somebody but the majority of those cut being POC isn't the best look either.  I don't think that factored into it but if it was it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

If Sinclair is wanting to be done with ROH this would be a great opportunity. It's an established brand and there's plenty of talent they could bring in. If they could find a competent booker they'd have a shot at being successful.

Wasn't the last season of Lucha Underground exclusive to Netflix or am I totally mis-remembering?

Not sure but Lucha Underground was said to have had a successful run on Netflix.   Streamers should really look to wrestling for content. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Not sure but Lucha Underground was said to have had a successful run on Netflix.   Streamers should really look to wrestling for content. 

DAZN spent a bajillion dollars on Canelo Alvarez only for him to become a free agent and say he will fight on every platform (including Showtime where's fighting this weekend lol) that's willing to pay him ridiculous sums of money. They also paid for other big names boxers who honestly aren't big box office attractions and bunch of international boxing shows no one is watching. They also paid Bellator real currency at possibly their lowest point in company history for the rights to stream their events before they realized that was a huge mistake.

Why they never explored wrestling is truly baffling.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

there's so many random releases that it seems difficult to guess the other 3 unvaccinated firings without accidentally libelling someone.

So, Low Ki opens his own antivax indy fed with some of the talent released today?

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Metalik is no surprise since he wanted his release. Glad he got it. 

Lince Dorado was the least charismatic guy in Lucha House Party so no surprise he is gone with Metalik and Kalisto gone.

Lee is only a surprise due to them trying to build up the Bearcat stuff. His release is dumb, but at least he had a chance to shine elsewhere. 

Kross was so bland that I wonder how he ended up getting hired in the first place. Scarlett had potential, but she was tied too much with her boyfriend. 

Eva Marie debuted dead in the water. She never really got the chance it feels like.

Yim and Moon felt like only a matter of time. They have never really known what to do with either. I think both either head to AEW or run around the indies while still dipping into to places like AEW and Impact. They will be fine.

Probably was only a matter of time for Kamea and Taya. Kamea had been on NXT forever like Aliyah without doing anything of note, and Taya had basically been regulated to mid carder just a few months into her debut.

Nia would have likely been released long ago if not for her relation to the Rock. She showed good promise her first few years, but she has ranged from inoffensive to terrible for 2-3 years now. Curious to see if she just retires or tries elsewhere.

B-Fab is the biggest WTF to the point where I wonder if something happened there. I worry for Hit Row with this one. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

B-Fab had that horrible match on NXT a few weeks back so that probably was an issue despite the call-up and, I mean, that act was never gonna be allowed to work on the main roster. Top Dolla is gonna be dancing and smiling in a few months and Swerve and the other dude will be a team on Main Event against Cedric and Shelton for the next year.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

there's so many random releases that it seems difficult to guess the other 3 unvaccinated firings without accidentally libelling someone.

suspect there might be a few "I'm vaccinated!" tweets among the released talents that could narrow the pool of candidates to accuse of being unvaccinated

But yes, nice of them to ax 15 other people to create some mystery about who the unvaccinated releases were.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bix is claiming that one of the reasons Nia Jax was released is because she’s not vaccinated. Might have something to do with Biden’s January deadline for businesses with over 100 employees to have their entire staff vaccinated or face fines per each un-vaxxed employee, maybe?

It also might explain Scarlett and Kross.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

you forget that WWE wrestlers are "independent contractors".. so the rules might differ for people in the office compared to talent until the time that they get told to stop abusing independent contractor law.

Perhaps they’re bracing for a new edict from OSHA about independent contractors? It’s entirely possible at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Bix is claiming that one of the reasons Nia Jax was released is because she’s not vaccinated. Might have something to do with Biden’s January deadline for businesses with over 100 employees to have their entire staff vaccinated or face fines per each un-vaxxed employee, maybe?

It also might explain Scarlett and Kross.

I work for JB Hunt corporate, one of the biggest employers in the state of Arkansas. They've gotten a bit feisty about folks not being vaccinated and breaking all types of rules being unvaccinated, but even they haven't gotten to the termination yet. I'm safely assuming they are some individual cases were people were just too flagrant and had to go. However, the policy we have as of the last 3-4 months is vaccinated people don't have to mask up or socially distance. Not vaccinated: KN95 mask when you're up and about and you have to socially distance. 

In the case of a company the size of WWE and with their business tactics, I'm pretty sure we would hear a company wide mandate (to be vaccinated) in place before they start letting people go for it. That would be out by now. 

Now it's quite possible that they feel that some people who are unvaccinated are just a bit too careless and put people at risk. Even with that, I'm assuming people would see a pattern where ALL the folks who are rumored to be that way get released. It wouldn't be just 3 or 4 people.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Perhaps they’re bracing for a new edict from OSHA about independent contractors? It’s entirely possible at this point.

I suspect the overall vaccine mandate stuff might play out a bit similar to ACA mandates.

Perhaps the WWE wanted to reduce the likelihood of losing some talent (either vaccinated or unvaccinated) due to Covid and it's more socially acceptable to be a breakthrough case than someone who didn't get vaccinated and then got Covid?

Also, at the risk of speculating.. Keith Lee's one of the most well-known stories of someone in the WWE getting Covid. What's the usual timeline for people getting vaccinated if they've had a recent case? Since there has been some people who use recent cases to say they have antibodies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

I suspect the overall vaccine mandate stuff might play out a bit similar to ACA mandates.

Perhaps the WWE wanted to reduce the likelihood of losing some talent (either vaccinated or unvaccinated) due to Covid and it's more socially acceptable to be a breakthrough case than someone who didn't get vaccinated and then got Covid?

Also, at the risk of speculating.. Keith Lee's one of the most well-known stories of someone in the WWE getting Covid. What's the usual timeline for people getting vaccinated if they've had a recent case? Since there has been some people who use recent cases to say they have antibodies.

I believe doctors want you to wait about 3 months to get vaccinated after recovering from COVID.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vince seems like the rare overlap of being an older conservative-ish male that might not exactly understand Covid vaccines but isn't shy about injecting himself with a needle to stay healthy. Like he got that shot and immediately started pumping weights because he's Vince damnit.

"Goddamn pal, I don't know what's in this, but it's not the first time I've done something like this and it worked before"

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

you forget that WWE wrestlers are "independent contractors".. so the rules might differ for people in the office compared to talent until the time that they get told to stop abusing independent contractor law.

You know what it is 

Spoiler

Goodfellas GIFs | Tenor

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...