DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

On 2/5/2022 at 7:52 PM, odessasteps said:

Another wacky YT recommended mash up. Works pretty well. 

I would think so given they are essentially the same song but I think that's the joke.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Always nice to hear wrestling crop up in lyrics. I had always just listened to the first two Wire albums, never got round to the third until today:

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Interesting stuff. I've only heard Chairs Missing and Pink Flag too; for some reason Chairs didn't catch on with me though I love love love Pink Flag.

The third one is well worth a listen, it's more similar to CM than PF. 

Still haven't gotten around to the Wire (I need to put it on my car's thumb drive) but I pulled this out of the mothballs of my downloads. If you like Bad Religion/early Husker Du style melodic hardcore with a rougher edge then this will hit the spot. 

In that spirit, I would also recommend the following album which flat blew me away when I first heard it. 

• Like 2

At my first live show since the Before Times: once again catching Lera Lynn, who I've been seeing since 2008 and some pandemic isn't going to stop me. Lowlight: it isn't stopping anyone else either, as the world is full of jackasses who think things are just going to go back to normal. This is why we can't have nice things.

Got through about half of the Wire record, not bad. I imagine a lot of then-current listeners weren't happy with the synths. It's still got that angular/dissonant style of theirs despite that. 

Of course I have been listening to Discharge and Meanwhile otherwise for the last little while regarding recent occurances

American Song Contest contestants from each state have been announced including Jewel, Michael Bolton, Macy Grey and The Crystal Method.

.... ok.

https://eurovision.tv/story/american-song-contest-acts?fbclid=IwAR3Ms5Ysq9-KmiNEAaFbpXv5-9gXGtt8XpSaBTKd9FxnX9TCyj8EnzxB4L8

Spoiler
  • Alabama: Ni/Co

• Alaska: Jewel

• American Samoa: Tenelle

• Arizona: Las Marias

• Arkansas: Kelsey Lamb

• California: Sweet Taboo

• Colorado: Riker Lynch

• Connecticut: Michael Bolton

• Delaware: Nitro Nitra

• Florida: Ale Zabala

• Georgia: Stela Cole

• Guam: Jason J.

• Hawaii: Bronson Varde

• Idaho: Andrew Sheppard

• Illinois: Justin Jesso

• Indiana: UG skywalkin

• Iowa: Alisabeth Von Presley

• Kansas: Broderick Jones

• Kentucky: Jordan Smith

• Louisiana: Brittany Pfantz

• Maine: King Kyote

• Maryland: Sisqó

• Massachusetts: Jared Lee

• Michigan: Ada LeAnn

• Minnesota: Yam Haus

• Mississippi: Keyone Starr

• Missouri: Brett Seper

• Montana: Jonah Prill

• Nebraska: Jocelyn

• Nevada: The Crystal Method

• New Hampshire: MARi

• New Jersey: Brooke Alexx

• New Mexico: Khalisol

• New York: ENISA

• North Carolina: John Morgan

• North Dakota: Chloe Fredericks

• Northern Mariana Islands: Sabyu

• Ohio: Macy Gray

• Oklahoma: AleXa

• Oregon: courtship.

• Pennsylvania: Bri Steves

• Puerto Rico: Christian Pagán

• Rhode Island: Hueston

• South Carolina: Jesse LeProtti

• South Dakota: Judd Hoos

• Tennessee: Tyler Braden

• Texas: Grant Knoche

• U.S. Virgin Islands: Cruz Rock

• Utah: Savannah Keyes

• Vermont: Josh Panda

• Virginia: Almira Zaky

• Washington: Allen Stone

• Washington, D.C.: NËITHER

• West Virginia: Alexis Cunningham

• Wisconsin: Jake’O

• Wyoming: Ryan Charles

Listening to the new Tears for Fears album, The Tipping Point.  I'll need more listens to definitively assess it but it's pretty good.  A little soft and laid back.  It's definitely no Songs From the Big Chair but few albums are.

If your tastes are more melodic and/or hard rock, I suggest the new albums from Giant and Degreed.  Both are very good with the Giant album being fricking great.

42 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

This happened in 2020. Have we discussed here before and I had forgotten? 

this is the first i've heard of it!

i'm really only familiar with his stuff that's been on a couple Dr. Demento mixtapes: "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park", "Masochism Tango", etc. but they're definitely fun.  I wish more artists would do this. the public domain system in the USA is woefully inadequate and anathema to what it was intended to be. 

I was watching a streamer from Santa Cruz and he mentioned famous people from there and I said well, Tom Lehrer teaches/taught at UCSC. Of course, since he's young, didn't know who he was so I did a quick explanation about The Element Song and that's when I saw that story.

• Like 1

Pusha T wrote an Arby's commercial that's a diss track on McDonald's, which is how I found out that Push co-wrote both McDonald's "I'm Lovin It" and Arby's "We got the meats" jingles. 

Sure, fuck it, why not?

• Like 1

Pusha exposed Drake for being a deadbeat dad and trying to use the reveal of having a kid for a Nike sneaker line, so he's good in my book.

In other news that I'm sure nobody but me cares about - just found out that ††† (Crosses) put out a new song. They've been doing a song a year since 2020 - WHERE IS THE NEW ALBUM, CHINO?!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...