DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I know everyone loves Bobby and I do also but Ventura has to be the greatest color Guy ever right? He put over everyone, added all the realistic little touches we discussed and he called out hypocrisy..

Both are great but Bobby's my favourite of the two.

Yeah, Bobby gets a lot of praise around the internet, but when he had to work with someone other than Monsoon he really struggled. Ventura on the other hand could work with the worst, and the best and make them all sound like all time great commentary teams. Monsoon, Vince, Mean Gene, Schivonnie, and Jim Ross all benefited when working with Ventura. 

I know everyone loves Bobby and I do also but Ventura has to be the greatest color Guy ever right? He put over everyone, added all the realistic little touches we discussed and he called out hypocrisy..

Jesse was quite possibly the best heel color man ever (which to my mind is like being the world's tallest dwarf, but I digress).  But he got really REALLY bad in WCW.  How many times did we have to hear "Texicans! HA!" during a Dustin Rhodes match?

So maybe Heenan was better after all.  I dunno.

Jesse was quite possibly the best heel color man ever (which to my mind is like being the world's tallest dwarf, but I digress).  But he got really REALLY bad in WCW.  How many times did we have to hear "Texicans! HA!" during a Dustin Rhodes match?

I don't know what the hell you're talking about? Jesse was just as awesome in WCW. 

Now if you want to talk about commentators who couldn't make the transition, then Bobby Heenan is your guy.

• Like 1

You can actually tell when he started to personally hate Hulk Hogan. 

Ventura may be the best, but surely we can all agree the single greatest heel color call of all time is Heenan during Hogan's turn.

You mean when he bungled up the heel turn before it happened?
That's overblown in my book. It was completely in line with Heenan's hatred of Hogan.

Ventura may be the best, but surely we can all agree the single greatest heel color call of all time is Heenan during Hogan's turn.

That's overblown in my book. It was completely in line with Heenan's hatred of Hogan.

I'm with Jonny, the "he spoiled the heel turn" talk is nonsense.

• Like 1

I'm with Jonny, the "he spoiled the heel turn" talk is nonsense.

Isn't it generally accepted that WCW didn't tell their announcers WTF was going on most of the time? So this was just an in-character comment with no foreknowledge.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about? Jesse was just as awesome in WCW. 

Now if you want to talk about commentators who couldn't make the transition, then Bobby Heenan is your guy.

Regardless, my favourite Heenan commentary moment was not the Royal Rumble, but rather some random Jim Duggan match in WCW. Before the match, Schiavone told Heenan that Duggan had a university degree. Heenan started laughing and kept laughing throughout the entire match and aftermath. It was glorious.

• Like 3