Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION


Recommended Posts

The Rock (and his wife and youngest kids), Kevin Nash and AJ Styles have all caught the Coronavirus. Also, TJP and Flip Gordon are morons.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AxB said:

The Rock (and his wife and youngest kids), Kevin Nash and AJ Styles have all caught the Coronavirus. Also, TJP and Flip Gordon are morons.

Austin Aries and Low-IQ to the morons stable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd normally be rooting for Big E but I want Big E vs. Roman Reigns for Reigns WWE Universal Championship to be saved for WrestleMania next year. Put Matt Riddle in and let Reigns run right through him. Fuck no to Corbin/Reigns. God that feud dragged and dragged. Reigns/Sheamus would be good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AxB said:

The Rock (and his wife and youngest kids), Kevin Nash and AJ Styles have all caught the Coronavirus. Also, TJP and Flip Gordon are morons.

The Rock's family first became aware that they were symptomatic around dinner time. 

They all suddenly realized that they couldn't smell what the Rock was cookin'. </dadjoke>

For real, though, I hope they all get over it without incident.  Nash, too.  

Edited by Log
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Log said:

The Rock's family first became aware that they were symptomatic around dinner time. 

They all suddenly realized that they couldn't smell what the Rock was cookin'. </dadjoke>

For real, though, I hope they all get over it without incident.  Nash, too.  

Sure, we are all hoping they will have no long-lasting effects from the infection, but that WAS a good joke!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a big fan of wrestling names that are constructed like this:

 

[wrestler's name] [the] [description of wrestler's character]

 

The perfect examples, in my mind, are: 

Andre the Giant (he's a guy named Andre who is a giant)

Abdullah the Butcher (he's a guy named Abdullah who will carve you up, like a butcher)

and Dick the Bruiser (he's a guy named Dick who will leave bruises on your body)

Less perfect but still pretty good examples (in my opinion) would be:

Kamala the Ugandan Headhunter (not his official name, but he was announced as such often enough... and his character was certainly a guy named Kamala who was a headhunter from Uganda)

Nord the Barbarian (because Nord is his surname, which I like slightly less... but Barbarian works well as a description of his character)

 

I just get a huge kick out of names like that. They make me happy. I wish they were more common.

Unacceptable examples in my book would be stuff like Dwayne the Rock (because he was never called that and because "the Rock" is his nickname rather than a description of his character) or Tommy Billington, the Dynamite Kid (because that's what you'd call him if you were writing an obituary, not if you were introducing him on his way to the ring) or Bret the Hitman (because that was always followed up by his last name) or Chris the Obnoxious Rock Star (because I am probably the only person who thinks that should be Jericho's wrestling name) or Randy the Ram (because he was an awesome movie character rather than an actual pro wrestler, and "The Ram" is also more of a nickname).

Can anybody think of any more examples of pro wrestling names structured like [name] [the] [description]? I'm hoping there are a ton of them that I just can't think of at the moment.

Edited by gordi
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of [Nickname][Full Name], too.

"Stunning/Stone Cold" Steve Austin

"Macho Man" Randy Savage (this is the proper formation of his name, not Randy "Macho Man" Savage!)

Big John Studd (so simple, so elegant)

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair/Buddy Rogers/Buddy Landell

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Log said:

I'm a fan of [Nickname][Full Name], too.

"Stunning/Stone Cold" Steve Austin

"Macho Man" Randy Savage (this is the proper formation of his name, not Randy "Macho Man" Savage!)

Big John Studd (so simple, so elegant)

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair/Buddy Rogers/Buddy Landell

 

Absolutely. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. "Ravishing" Rick Rude. "Superstar" Billy Graham. Classic names. Descriptive and evocative.

But it's still my second-favourite naming structure, by quite a bit. 

Edited by gordi
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This topic reminds me that I hate most modern wrestling names.  I don't know if all of the good ones just got used up or if the current crop of guys are just too cutesy for their own good.

The Archer of Infamy?  Fuck that.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gordi said:

I am a big fan of wrestling names that are constructed like this:

 

[wrestler's name] [the] [description of wrestler's character]

 

The perfect examples, in my mind, are: 

Andre the Giant (he's a guy named Andre who is a giant)

Abdullah the Butcher (he's a guy named Abdullah who will carve you up, like a butcher)

and Dick the Bruiser (he's a guy named Dick who will leave bruises on your body)

Less perfect but still pretty good examples (in my opinion) would be:

Kamala the Ugandan Headhunter (not his official name, but he was announced as such often enough... and his character was certainly a guy named Kamala who was a headhunter from Uganda)

Nord the Barbarian (because Nord is his surname, which I like slightly less... but Barbarian works well as a description of his character)

 

I just get a huge kick out of names like that. They make me happy. I wish they were more common.

Unacceptable examples in my book would be stuff like Dwayne the Rock (because he was never called that and because "the Rock" is his nickname rather than a description of his character) or Tommy Billington, the Dynamite Kid (because that's what you'd call him if you were writing an obituary, not if you were introducing him on his way to the ring) or Bret the Hitman (because that was always followed up by his last name) or Chris the Obnoxious Rock Star (because I am probably the only person who thinks that should be Jericho's wrestling name) or Randy the Ram (because he was an awesome movie character rather than an actual pro wrestler, and "The Ram" is also more of a nickname).

Can anybody think of any more examples of pro wrestling names structured like [name] [the] [description]? I'm hoping there are a ton of them that I just can't think of at the moment.

The man, the myth, the legend: Ken the Box

latest?cb=20150309144253

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes me so happy. 

A perfect example. He's a box named Ken, who is... a box

(and if persistent rumours are to be believed, he is a box named Ken who is actually: Osaka Pro's Black Buffalo)!

Edited by gordi
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing will ever top ICP explaining the origins of Fat Fuck Barrel Boy's name.

"He's fat. He's a fuck and he wears a barrel to the ring. What more do you want?"

  • Like 3
  • Haha 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gordi said:

Can anybody think of any more examples of pro wrestling names structured like [name] [the] [description]?

wrestling lore tells me that Taker was originally "Cain the Undertaker"

and there's always Kowabunga, the Ninja Turtle

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Log said:

I'm a fan of [Nickname][Full Name], too.

"Stunning/Stone Cold" Steve Austin

"Macho Man" Randy Savage (this is the proper formation of his name, not Randy "Macho Man" Savage!)

Big John Studd (so simple, so elegant)

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair/Buddy Rogers/Buddy Landell

 

Apropos of nothing, this reminded me of a PWG card where everyone had a nickname in the middle of their first and last names, and Eddie Edwards was billed as:

Eddie "Eddie Edwards" Edwards

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gordi said:

I am a big fan of wrestling names that are constructed like this:

 

[wrestler's name] [the] [description of wrestler's character]

Gordi the Muscular Bald Adonis?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...