DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Its possible it is her.  I mean, she's in the current Suicide Squad lineup.  That'd go a long way to supporting the "Arrow takes place in the same new DCMU" argument.  

And the week after that we're a Batgirl/Oracle away from a full-on Birds of Prey lineup existing in Arrow (Huntress vs. Canary)

OK so let me get this straight:

Sara Lance, who Ollie was boinking on the side, never died and was rescued by some pirates.  She becomes an evil pirate/mastermind's apprentice for some reason and an antagonist to Ollie on the island.  Then she turns on her master Dr. Ivo because she still loves Ollie.  

Then somehow she "dies" again which Ollie is convinced of when he returns to Star City.  And now she's back as the Black Canary.  Sara Lance is the Black Canary now?  What?!  Couldn't Ollie have told someone, anyone about Sara not dying in the shipwreck?  

How is a rebel teenager becoming a mastermind pirate in a matter of months and then recruited into an Assassin league?

This is the most contrived show on the planet.

Sara Lance, who Ollie was boinking on the side, never died and was rescued by some pirates.  She becomes an evil pirate/mastermind's apprentice for some reason and an antagonist to Ollie on the island.  Then she turns on her master Dr. Ivo because she still loves Ollie.  

Then somehow she "dies" again which Ollie is convinced of when he returns to Star City.  And now she's back as the Black Canary.  Sara Lance is the Black Canary now?  What?!  Couldn't Ollie have told someone, anyone about Sara not dying in the shipwreck?  

How is a rebel teenager becoming a mastermind pirate in a matter of months and then recruited into an Assassin league?

She became Ivo's apprentice more for survival, choosing to blind herself to his clear madness until faced with either saving Ollie who she cared about or leaving Ollie to die.

Ollie lied about Sarah dying because of choices she made that lead her to a darker life. Sarah herself didn't want that truth getting out.

Its only a been maybe a year and a half since the Queen's Gambit sinking. She was on the pirate ship for at least a year, and has yet to be recruited into the league at this point in the 5 years Ollie was gone form Starling City.

Its no more contrived at this point than comics usually are.

There are absolutely contrived parts to Arrow, but I don't think it's as bad as all that.

I don't think Sara was ever best buds with Ivo.  She just worked with him because that was the only option other than rotting in a cell.  Once she saw another option (Ollie) she took it.  Correct me if I'm forgetting how some of the plots went when she first showed up in the flashback.

I assume we'll see Sara "die" again in flashback.  Ollie didn't say anything since he didn't want to say much of anything about his time on the island.  No reason to say "She survived, but I thought she was dead, but then she wasn't but then she died again."  It raises too many questions he doesn't want to get into -- much easier to say she died in the wreck.  Heck, he hasn't even told anybody that his father shot himself, has he?  

The flashback time is 5 years.  I think one year has passed, but she's still got 4 years to learn to be a badass.  Well, actually 5 since she still could have been training during the first season.

To me the contrived stuff revolves around the political plot, some of the Laurel stuff (like being a prosecutor on a case involving a family friend; she'd obviously have to recuse herself from the case), and Thea being a teenage bar owner.  Oh, and the fact that Ollie is supposed to feel super guilty over how Ivo shot Shado.  I can buy Slade being pissed at Ollie since he's crazy on the Miracle drug, but it's silly for Ollie to feel guilt over how that went down.  Honestly, I wish they'd have handled Shado's death better if it was supposed to be this big morally ambiguous plot point.

(Oops, I typed this last night and never hit Post.  Eivion hit many of the same points.)

• Like 1

To me the contrived stuff revolves around the political plot, some of the Laurel stuff (like being a prosecutor on a case involving a family friend; she'd obviously have to recuse herself from the case), and Thea being a teenage bar owner.  Oh, and the fact that Ollie is supposed to feel super guilty over how Ivo shot Shado.  I can buy Slade being pissed at Ollie since he's crazy on the Miracle drug, but it's silly for Ollie to feel guilt over how that went down.  Honestly, I wish they'd have handled Shado's death better if it was supposed to be this big morally ambiguous plot point.

Shado's death isn't supposed to be morally ambiguous. Its pretty blatantly clear that Ivo is the cause. Ollie feels guilt because the way Ivo set it up he can't help but feel he chose Sarah over Shado despite it not being the case. Ollie would be in the same position if Sarah had been shot. This would be how it is for most people in such a position. Not sure why that is so hard to believe.

Shado's death isn't supposed to be morally ambiguous. Its pretty blatantly clear that Ivo is the cause. Ollie feels guilt because the way Ivo set it up he can't help but feel he chose Sarah over Shado despite it not being the case. Ollie would be in the same position if Sarah had been shot. This would be how it is for most people in such a position. Not sure why that is so hard to believe.

Well, to each his own.  I'd think any possible guilt would be far outweighed by rage toward the actual shooter.  But the shooter was able to guilt Ollie into sparing him.  Just didn't work for me.

They can bring me back around a bit if Sarah is like "Why didn't you kill him like I told you?  We talked about this!!" and Ollie says he hesitated to kill someone in cold blood (or at least, someone who wasn't an imminent threat).  So this is where Ollie learns to be a killer.  Of course, Sarah and Ollie are separated now (in the flashback), so that can't happen immediately.

Speaking of the Ollie/killer thing, they never followed up on him killing Count Vertigo, did they?  I was okay with him going back to killing as long as that was part of a bigger plotline, but it seems like he's saying, "Well, I'm mostly not a killer now."  I'd prefer some misplaced guilt in this case!

Well, to each his own.  I'd think any possible guilt would be far outweighed by rage toward the actual shooter.  But the shooter was able to guilt Ollie into sparing him.  Just didn't work for me.

They can bring me back around a bit if Sarah is like "Why didn't you kill him like I told you?  We talked about this!!" and Ollie says he hesitated to kill someone in cold blood (or at least, someone who wasn't an imminent threat).  So this is where Ollie learns to be a killer.  Of course, Sarah and Ollie are separated now (in the flashback), so that can't happen immediately.

Speaking of the Ollie/killer thing, they never followed up on him killing Count Vertigo, did they?  I was okay with him going back to killing as long as that was part of a bigger plotline, but it seems like he's saying, "Well, I'm mostly not a killer now."  I'd prefer some misplaced guilt in this case!

Ollie isn't at the cold blooded killer phase yet, especially since the last time he went crazy like that both Shado and Slade looked at him so disappointed.

I wholeheartedly agree on them never really doing any sort of proper follow up to Ollie killing Vertigo.

I don't know why, but blimps have always felt right to me in Gotham. Guess it was all those years of programming by TAS in my childhood.

The thing I'm most excited about with GOTHAM is that, being a modern crime drama, there is a high likelihood that the old "Gordon has a beer and cheats on his wife" AICN meme will become a reality.

So Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock?

I'm... I'm just not sure about that....

James

Seriously? That is the only casting in the show I actually like for sure so far. He is a solid actor, isn't in the greatest of shape and looks sleazy enough that I can buy him as a semi-dirty cop with the best of intentions like Bullock. I'm still probably not watching the show as the more plot revealed the less interested I become.

I started watching Arrow not too long ago maybe two months ago. I'm into the fourth episode of the second season. I heard a lot of people on here saying how the first season wasn't that good and things get better in the second season etc. I also didn't see a lot of love for the flashbacks to the island. 

The island flashbacks are hit or miss. I didn't really like the payoff with Yao Fei. They kind of build this guy up as the guy that basically keeps Oliver alive. Then he's capture and it gets kind of lame from there. Then just a random bullet to the head after kind of building him up as an important part of the story seemed lame. The whole Shado/Oliver love story is pretty lame as well. I do enjoy Slade in small doses.

I don't know how everyone else feels but I'm digging the Roy story arc. I was a bit bummed they got rid of Merlyn in the first season since I was under the impression he was Arrow's ultimate big bad. I enjoyed the Huntress story arc for the most part. I enjoy the interactions with Detective Lance. I think the only thing I don't enjoy is how they make it a point nearly every show to show just how many levels bellow Arrow that Diggle is. I get that Arrow is a bad ass but they kind of pile shit on Diggle constantly. I really don't know why Arrow would keep him around all he's ever done is get his ass kicked and have to either get saved by Arrow or just left alone by Deadeye or any number of other things. I'm glad they dropped the Diggle is in love with his brothers widow that was always a bit weird to me.

I absolutley love the minor character they bring in as weekly big bads. The Dollmaker was awesome for an episode.

Overall I can't help but think that the guys that write this show really wanted it to be a Batman Origins show in a lot of ways. Not that its a bad thing and I suppose that Arrow does share a lot of the C list villians/heros that Batman has.

The thing I enjoy most about the show is something I enjoyed from Buffy. You have your season big bad that slowly plays out and we learn more about throughout the season building to a show down and then you have your weekly big bads thrown in there as cannon fodder all while advancing the season story arc. The show is well done I'm excited its already been renewed for a third season but looking around it looks like the season finale of season 1 got 2.77 million viewers and even that was one of if not the third lowest rating behind a couple of 2.6 million viewed shows. However season 2 has dipped quite a bit below season 1's low with 2.2 and 2.3 million viewers on a few occasions. Looking at it so far it looks like this season has already taken a 25% drop in the ratings from the first season. I'm not sure whats normal and whats not and what ratings the CW expects it to get. 

I tried to watch Smallville and that shit bored me to tears I skipped half the first season and still couldn't get interested in it. I'm hard pressed to think of a better live action comic book series that I like better than this one. Not that there have been all that many to pull from. 

Almost caught up with season 2 of Arrow.

With all of the groundwork DC has laid out with their TV universe, if season 2 doesn't end with someone saying 'turn on the news!' and it's footage of Metropolis being turned into dust from Man of Steel, then I strongly disagree with their decision making in the strongest message board active fan way possible. 

Almost caught up with season 2 of Arrow.

With all of the groundwork DC has laid out with their TV universe, if season 2 doesn't end with someone saying 'turn on the news!' and it's footage of Metropolis being turned into dust from Man of Steel, then I strongly disagree with their decision making in the strongest message board active fan way possible. 

I would honestly loath that. The tv universe and movie universe should not remotely mix. I feel this way mostly because of level of actors, the way too Batman feel of Arrow, and the fact that I still want CCH Pounder as Amanda Waller in a live action Suicide Squad film and Ron Perlman as Deathstroke in something.

Also is Laurel Lance punishment for watching this show instead of doing something constructive with our lives?

Its probably more trying to do something with her after botching the character so badly they were unable to turn her into Black Canary proper.

So when does Arrow get better? Because that premiere is super dreadful.

If you think the premiere is super dreadful I don't know if the show would ever get better for you. But I would say if you're looking to give it a shot give it to probably the eighth episode.