DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Yeah because no politician has ever been unfaithful to their spouse before.

Is it possible to come back from that, especially an affair 20 years ago?  Yes.  But it's a negative.  And I suspect it would be tougher for a woman to overcome than a man.

I mean, she cheated on her first husband, who then died.  Then she married the guy who took over the dead husband's company, which could easily be seen as gold-digging.  Then husband #2 gets kidnapped, making her acting CEO of the company (AFAIK, the only thing on her resume), then when hubby #2 is returned, he promptly files for divorce.  Then she's shown to have been involved in a plot that killed hundreds of city residents, but gets off in controversial OJ-like fashion.  She holds a get-out-of-jail party that only a few people attend (far fewer than her previous parties).  Obviously the only thing to do at that point is run for elected office.

Really, all they needed to do was tweak a few little things.  Like the party -- they should have had her expecting nobody to show up, but it turns out a ton of people are there.  The Not Guilty verdict swung people's opinions in her favor -- she's a tough mama grizzly who made the hard choices to protect her family.  Then it would be semi-logical that the business community would rally behind her as a candidate with a newfound wellspring of support.  Oh well.

Some questions about the affair: how did the DA's office know about it?  They seemed to have positive proof, but they didn't indicate that the proof had anything to do with Thea's parentage.  And Laurel has never acted like she knows that part of the story.  Also, how do we know that Merlyn is Thea's bio-dad?  I believe the only evidence is the DNA test that Merlyn did, which he could easily be lying about.

I'm amused that, in this discussion, a 20 year-old affair is more of an impediment to running for public office that being involved with a secret criminal organization that, in the past year, attempted to ruin the city and rebuild it to suit themselves.

I'm willing to overlook all of these logic gaps in her candidacy on the grounds that I like Susanna Thompson as an actress and she looks great for 56.  Clearly, I am the sort of shallow, ill-informed voter Starling City needs more of.

• Like 1

I'm actually amazed Ollie and/or Thea and/or Laurel didn't figure out the Merlyn is Thea's father thing, since it took Felicity all of 5 minutes to figure it out.  

"I had an affair with Merlyn 20 years ago"

"Wait a second, I'm 20 years old!"

Moria's whole Mayoral run screams Slade setup, since he's dead set on completely destroying Ollie in every way possible, and tearing his family apart is a pretty good start.  He's made it clear he's not impressed with Blood, outside of finally figuring out how to replicate Miriculu.  Also doesn't seem like Blood's really *that* upset/scared that Moria is running and that he could possible lose and piss off Slade.  I wouldn't be suprised is Moria's image is totally destroyed right before the election.

• Like 1

I honestly believe that Moira is the absolute worst part of the show with Laurel a close second.

The biggest problem with Moira is that she's an adult character on a WB show.  Played by an actress in her mid-50's, no less.  Which means the network has little use for her and will likely instruct the showrunner to ignore her character in favor of younger characters.

The "Moira runs for mayor" plotline is pretty dire, though.  Almost as ridiculous as an underage 19 year-old running a bar (I know Ollie owns the bar, but the only way a 19 year old acts as manager is if Starling City either doesn't have an alcohol and beverage commission, or if they're too lazy to ever vitist Ollie's bar).

To be fair, if Moira's platform was "I'm going to destroy all the poor people and also I'm a billionaire" instead of that being an event in the past, she would probably be a viable conservative candidate. I kid, I kid. Please don't take this as me starting a political discussion.

Also, is it just me or does the actress who plays Laurel look....Unhealthy this season? Either some bad plastic surgery or a lot of weight loss or something.

• 2 weeks later...

That reminded me of the scene on the pilot of the "Flash" TV show, you know the one.

Iris: "Well, that was over quick."

Barry: "... yeah." (sigh)

... and they were watching a boxing match!

Of course, this was post-origin event of Flash's powers, and I knew at the time that, if "that" had really been "over quick," Iris would have been less dejected, more suffering from friction-baked labia.

Well, GOTHAM is officially shit.

Bruce Wayne is the kid from Fox's failed Keifer Sutherland vehicle TOUCH.

Selina Kyle is a non-actor who's claim to fame is being on a season of AMERICA'S BEST DANCE CREW.