DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Now that Arrow has wrapped up the Ra's Al Ghul/League of Assassins stuff (for now) and positioned the Sarah Lance character so they can use her more regularly, is there really any reason to keep Laurel Lance around?  The character doesn't really add much, they don't seem to know what to do with Laurel, and Katie Cassidy strikes me as being really limited as an actress.

I really was rolling my eyes at Laurel's spoiled brat tantrum at the end of this past week's ep.  Sister returns from dead and Laurel's first reaction is a hissy fit over how people fuss over Sarah.  Really?  Couldn't hold off on that a day or two?  Granted that is the writer's doing, not the actress, but....

I'd prefer to see any of the other female characters get Laurel's story time - even Felicity (who, in general, I could do with less of).

Considering how unlikable she is, I have to think they will be killing her off by the time the season ends.

Will say Laurel wasn't pissed at people fussing over Sarah so much as she was pissed that her sister, whose death sparked the downward spiral of the Lance family, was actually alive and could have possibly come back to them at any point. No of course we know Sarah's reasons, but Laurel, not so much.

I can totally buy Deathstroke killing Laurel as phase 1 to bring Ollie down.  You could extend the Deathstroke story next season with Roy and Sarah dragging Ollie back to sanity.

There's more to Moria then we've been led to believe though.  She was a little evilish with Felicity, even if the secret was important and will probably lead to a ton of friction between Ollie and Felicity (even though that's already gonna be there with Sarah back full time).  There's a reason she knows that Merlyn quoted a League Motto and knew about the League and that making a call to Ra's that Merlyn is still alive was a good way to rid herself of him.  I can't figure out what.

Considering how unlikable she is, I have to think they will be killing her off by the time the season ends.

Will say Laurel wasn't pissed at people fussing over Sarah so much as she was pissed that her sister, whose death sparked the downward spiral of the Lance family, was actually alive and could have possibly come back to them at any point. No of course we know Sarah's reasons, but Laurel, not so much.

True.  I didn't frame her reaction all that accurately.   But..... if my sibling came back from the dead after five or six years, my first reaction would probably be joy that they were still alive.  The recriminations and "shoulda/woulda/coulda's can wait a couple days.  The flashbacks in the same episode to the Lance household pre-boat accident made me think Laurel's reaction was just the latest in a bout of sibling rivalry and was a typical reaction from Laurel.  Basically, they wrote the scene so Laurel reacted like a petulant teenager, not a 20-something professional.

I don't really see where they go with the character aside from the cliched sibling rivalry/sibling reconciliation plotline.

In Laurel's defense, she's a substance abuser in denial in the middle of a massive downward spiral nearing rock bottom right now, so Sarah being back, and her connection to the League and shit that it brought down is a pretty good scapegoat for Laurel's own problems.  It was subtle, but Laurel actually *was* drinking at the time she had her tantrum, and Papa Lance pointed it out.

Exactly, Laurel acted ridiculous, but its pretty much about her denial of her life spiraling out of control being any fault of her own.

And yeah they made Laurel look even worse with the scenes from the past. Its why I won't be surprised if she doesn't make it to the end of the season as it feels like they are going out of their way to make her look bad this season.

I had a mild negative reaction to the Laurel thing, but decided it was fine for the reasons listed above plus general "prodigal daughter" envy and knowing that her parents are thrilled to see Sarah at the same time she's fucking up her life.  Yeah, it's childish but I've seen sibling rivalries (and parent/child relationships) that lead normally-mature people to regress.

What I liked least was Ollie saying to Moira "How dare you keep that secret from Thea? You're dead to me!  Oh, by the way... I, too, will be keeping the secret from Thea."

I also thought they wrapped up the "Ollie switches allegiance in the mayoral race" thing a bit too neatly, but whatever.  Not sure who I'd vote for, though.  The semi-evil rich lady who represents the business community or the full-on supervillain who's running on populism? 

Who happened to be totally evil, killed a quarter of the city, and killed said best friend during a fight between the two...  Yeah, Ollie's probably rightously pissed.

Probably moreso when he finds out that Merlyn is the reason that Moria isn't in prison, and that the only thing keeping him from Thea is the threat of Ra's sending Nyssa, Talia, Shiva, or one of the Seven after his head.

Looks like Ben McKenzie will be playing Gordon in FOX's Gotham series. He voiced Bruce Wayne in Batman: Year One.

And more Gotham casting - including Alfred and The Penguin

Robin Lord Taylor (Accepted, "The Walking Dead") joins the cast as Oswald Cobblepot (aka The Penguin).

Sean Pertwee (Alan Partridge, Event Horizon) will appear as Bruce Wayne's butler, Alfred Pennyworth

The series has also cast Zabryna Guevara ("Burn Notice") as Gordon's boss at the GCPD, Captain Essen, and Erin Richards ("Being Human", "Merlin") as Gordon's fiancee, Barbara Kean​.

A bunch of people I've never heard of have been cast in GOTHAM. Only thing that sticks out to me is the guy they cast as young Penguin is skinny.

Hoping The Penguin we get is either based on the brilliant Batman: The Animated Series or the great Batman: Arkham City with Penguin calling people wankers!

Moira is probably more dead to Ollie for cheating on his father with his best friend's father opposed to keeping the act a secret.

Didn't he already know that they had an affair?  Or am I confusing things?   I thought Ollie knew about the affair, but not Thea's parentage - in which case his anger is a little over the top, since he isn't going to tell Thea either.

Looks like Ben McKenzie will be playing Gordon in FOX's Gotham series. He voiced Bruce Wayne in Batman: Year One.

I just saw this on AICN and came here to see if I missed somebody posting it. Yep, I guess I did.

I'm not sold on the premise of this show but, damn, they already won about a billion points with me for that casting. I was a big fan of Ben's when he was Ryan on the OC - the only time I ever listen to a Bill Simmons podcast anymore is when he's discussing The OC -  and thought he was awesome in the Best Show Nobody Watched , Southland.

Also, the OC Nerd in me is having a big chuckle over the fact Ryan Atwood gets to play Commissioner Gordon in a Batman TV show. Seth would totally be losing his shit.

And more Gotham casting - including Alfred and The Penguin

Robin Lord Taylor (Accepted, "The Walking Dead") joins the cast as Oswald Cobblepot (aka The Penguin).

Sean Pertwee (Alan Partridge, Event Horizon) will appear as Bruce Wayne's butler, Alfred Pennyworth

The series has also cast Zabryna Guevara ("Burn Notice") as Gordon's boss at the GCPD, Captain Essen, and Erin Richards ("Being Human", "Merlin") as Gordon's fiancee, Barbara Kean​.

The more I see the castings and little plot blurbs, the less interested I become in this. Really wish they just did a proper Gotham Central series.

A bunch of people I've never heard of have been cast in GOTHAM. Only thing that sticks out to me is the guy they cast as young Penguin is skinny.

Hoping The Penguin we get is either based on the brilliant Batman: The Animated Series or the great Batman: Arkham City with Penguin calling people wankers!

Didn't sound like either going off of the little blurb I read on BC.

Moira is probably more dead to Ollie for cheating on his father with his best friend's father opposed to keeping the act a secret.

Didn't he already know that they had an affair?  Or am I confusing things?   I thought Ollie knew about the affair, but not Thea's parentage - in which case his anger is a little over the top, since he isn't going to tell Thea either.

The entire city knows she had an affair.  It was brought up in the court case (by Laurel).  Yet another reason why it's extremely implausible that Moira could be a viable mayoral candidate.

Fox and Warner Bros. Television have announced that Donal Logue ("Terriers," "Sons of Anarchy") has been cast as Harvey Bullock in their upcoming series "Gotham." Originally rumored for a different role in the series, Logue's Bullock is described as Jim Gordon’s partner and mentor. The rough-around-the-edges detective plays loose with police procedure, but he gets results … and he does it with old-school, forceful panache.