DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Meltzer mentioned that now would be a good time for a trios title.  I've personally never been keen on six man titles...like, it's a tag title with one more guy, who cares?  And it just takes focus off the normal tag division.  But at the same time, I might be down with it if they made the division stand out by doing something different, like conduct all matches under traditional lucha tag rules.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I saw someone on twitter saying how ironic it would be if Jake was managing Harper, after Harper was allied with Dollar Store Jake for years in WWE.

Naylor said recently he and Bray had tried out a Sullivan "x on the forehead" look in FCW and Dusty shot it down quick.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I saw someone on twitter saying how ironic it would be if Jake was managing Harper, after Harper was allied with Dollar Store Jake for years in WWE.

Naylor said recently he and Bray had tried out a Sullivan "x on the forehead" look in FCW and Dusty shot it down quick.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Completely fair. I think they gave Chuck a shot here on Monday and while the match was pretty good, I don't think he won over detractors or doubters. Awful Waffle worked well though and I think it was the first time JR was on board so maybe I'm being a bit too harsh. I'm anxious for Chuck to succeed! 

I also fully understand the dislike of both the WWE influenced wall with Darby and the jericho/mox back and forth. But the main event was heck of good and the Mox stuff prior to the interruption had Jon looking like a star.

Edit: in general this was the most WWEalike episode they've done and I get that after a big show you need to inhale for the next set of shows but I hope we don't veer towards this stuff regularly and they learn from some of the mistakes on this show. They've done a great job of adapting so far, so I have hope. On the other hand, some people enjoyed the layout.

It was probably smart to do a more WWE like show when you’re over a mile high above sea level. I’ve seen a lot of WWE guys get blown up quick —and after the first UFC show here Dana White vowed to never book heavyweights here again.

I was actually pretty impressed with how everyone did, no one appeared visibly bothered by the altitude. 

I also don’t have a problem with JR commenting on his frame and the ability to add mass. He’s already gotten into better shape since he debuted. But, at least to me, it’s still a little incongruent that he’s in visibly worse physical shape than a guy with a sloth gimmick.

Also, don’t get the complaint about him wanting to make more money as a singles competitor. He was just trying to give an explanation to the tag wrestler (in a top 5 tag team) being in singles competition instead of trying to move up the ranks to become #1 contenders. Also, in AEW storyline terms, AEW winners get a winners purse—so if the tag titles and HW championship are treated equally the purse would be the same, so you’d have to share. I think it’s just math that you’d make more money on your own, not a dismissal of the tag team division.

• Like 2

Was watching the Blood & Guts tease brawl again. 1) It’s nice to see faces clear a ring of heels again. I thought wrestlers forgot the art of babyfaces punching a heel out of the ring. 2) The Buckshot is still awesome. 3) That beer on the post during the Buckshot did not move an inch. They really tested the sturdines of that ring. You can put a glass of wine on that post, then drop a bowling ball in the ring, and it probably won’t move.

Has any of the wrestlers talked about the stiffness of the AEW canvas yet?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I'm still not sure what your babyface line-up is for Blood & Guts. The Elite vs Inner Circle would be my personal choice, if just to see that group all together once in AEW before we really start playing with anyone's face/heel alignment. But they could easily sub in Darby or Dustin or Mox. 

The only feud that feels right is MJF and Cody but that is not happening. Second closest thing is still Mox/Jericho. The one set of faces that has the most interesting dynamic is The Elite with Hangmin Adam potentially beating the shit out of Matt before, during, or after he takes out the Inner Circle.

I'm guessing at some point between now and the next ppv, Cody either costs MJF a number one contender's match or a title match to get that feud back up again.

Mox/Darby/Cody/Dustin/QT seems best set up to take on the Inner Circle at B&G, but it wouldn't be a stretch to just put The Elite in there.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That beer on the post during the Buckshot did not move an inch. They really tested the sturdines of that ring. You can put a glass of wine on that post, then drop a bowling ball in the ring, and it probably won’t move.

Has any of the wrestlers talked about the stiffness of the AEW canvas yet?

Stiffness of the mat wouldn't matter. It's physics. The beer was also on the post and so the thing that would move it is something crashing into that corner or the actual shape of the ring racking/twisting. If the ring is doing that, then they have bigger problems.

• Like 1

I feel like those involved in the brawl are the ones involved in Blood & Guts with maybe one other. Cody & Dustin feel like musts for it. I would think the Bucks are in as the natural opposition for Ortiz & Santana. Hangman seems the most likely fifth, while Darby would make sense, but could also see Kenny in there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Stiffness of the mat wouldn't matter. It's physics. The beer was also on the post and so the thing that would move it is something crashing into that corner or the actual shape of the ring racking/twisting. If the ring is doing that, then they have bigger problems.

You know how whenever a big guy does the charge into the corner, and the commentator marks out about how the whole ring moved, even though it doesn't look like it moved on TV?

Yeah, it does move.

After revisiting Pac-Orange Cassidy I am pondering the question: What if... Orange Cassidy scored the victory that sent Jericho packing for 90 days!?

I feel for @Technico Support and others whom despise JR. I'm mostly enjoying senile grumpy ol JR, but I get the impression he sounds to you all like how Gabe Sapolsky sounded like to me trying to watch Ring of Honor shows in the aughts.  Tho, I think you'd have to agree, he's nowhere near as bad as that.  I've hated a lot of commentary over the years.  Schiavone in WCW (late 90s-00s) also comes to mind.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Haha 1

Schiavone (on the AEW podcast this week) was talking about how he used to dread Mondays twenty years ago. Whereas now he can't wait for Wednesday to roll around.

His MLW stuff before AEW started, it kind of felt like he didn't really want to be there and was just taking a payday. But being back in big building with a lot of people making a lot of noise, that got his juices flowing. And some of the MLW matches he called weren't necessarily, like, dramatically lower in quality than your AEW TV matches. But whether it's being around JR and Dustin (and sometimes DDP) again, or just the bigger buildings, it's a dramatic increase in motivation.

• Like 1

If you follow his podcast w/ Conrad you hear the evolution of Tony falling back in love with wrestling. 

In regards to JR - I'm watching Wrestlewar 92 right now. Jesse & JR on commentary - and it's night and day how much JR has lost a step or two. He also only made less than 6 football references the whole show - and half of those was for his argument with Jesse over the nonsense of Brian Pillman being a nose tackle when Ron Simmons was also a nose tackle. ?

• Like 2

For Tony it’s definitely got to be the big crowds. He was always the kind of commentator that fed off the energy of crowd heat. If the fans were quiet, the more artificial he sounded. If the fans were big into it, the more authentic, and personally into it he’d sound.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Schiavone (on the AEW podcast this week) was talking about how he used to dread Mondays twenty years ago. Whereas now he can't wait for Wednesday to roll around.

His MLW stuff before AEW started, it kind of felt like he didn't really want to be there and was just taking a payday. But being back in big building with a lot of people making a lot of noise, that got his juices flowing. And some of the MLW matches he called weren't necessarily, like, dramatically lower in quality than your AEW TV matches. But whether it's being around JR and Dustin (and sometimes DDP) again, or just the bigger buildings, it's a dramatic increase in motivation.

I dreaded Tony on Mondays (or Wednesday afternoons here in Canada) maybe as much as he did.  I like his enthusiasm these days and it’s a heart warming story.  That said, he too often still feels the need to convince the audience of things that they’re already convinced of.  Oversell issues.  But mostly I dig Tony 2020 just fine.  

And I get the difference in enthusiasm between calling MLW and AEW.  I would suggest there is a dramatic quality difference. MLW matches seem to find a way to suck even when they shouldn’t.  Bad booking, shotty finishes, hokey promos, etc. They do have a neat roster tho.

23 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Meltzer mentioned that now would be a good time for a trios title.  I've personally never been keen on six man titles...like, it's a tag title with one more guy, who cares?  And it just takes focus off the normal tag division.  But at the same time, I might be down with it if they made the division stand out by doing something different, like conduct all matches under traditional lucha tag rules.

Trios matches under lucha rules would be really cool. They actually have a pretty stacked trios division unofficially right now with The Elite, Best Friends and Cassidy, Lucha Express, The Newly formed Death Triangle, SCU, The Strong Hearts (That's the name of Cimas group right?) and The Inner Circle pairing of Guevara, Satana & Ortiz. Plus Cody, Dustin and QT could be a trio, The Dark Order with 4 members could be an inner changing trio. A Trios Division would also be a great opportunity to introduce AAA talent to a national U.S. audience.

• Like 1

Pulling a Freebirds Rule in a trios division by having four or five members eligible is brilliant.

• Like 2

Six man titles hold little to no prestige and would end up being just another useless set of belts.  Even back in the days of World Class the title was repped by a pretty insignificant trophy.   

I get the consisitent interest in a mid-card belt, but it does feel refreshing to only have 1 major singles title for each the men and women.  I prefer it this way.  I'd rather simply 1 than a whole bunch of meaningless belts being passed around weekly.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus