DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Six man titles hold little to no prestige and would end up being just another useless set of belts.  Even back in the days of World Class the title was repped by a pretty insignificant trophy.   

I get the consisitent interest in a mid-card belt, but it does feel refreshing to only have 1 major singles title for each the men and women.  I prefer it this way.  I'd rather simply 1 than a whole bunch of meaningless belts being passed around weekly.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

QT has no business being in the Match Beyond, in kayfabe and real life. If the match is Elite/Inner Circle (which I feel was announced but I must have dreamed it), Bucks, Cody, Kenny, Page against Jericho, Hager, Sammy, PnP is infinitely stronger and sticking in a guy to lose is the kind of lazy matchmaking I'm trying to get away from. Or you could throw him in as a red herring but even then, I don't think it would add to the match.

• Like 1

You don’t need QT in there. Darby is already a scrappy underdog, that has potential to be more. If you need one he’s your guy. QT doesn’t have the support of the crowd yet. He’s a potential Barry Horowitz, but he’s not there yet with fans. Putting him in there would be like how the WWE  forced the shitty B-Team push that ended up being one of my last straws with the company.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

But the Elite aren’t feuding with the Inner Circle right now.  Would make way more sense for it to be either Mox putting together a ragtag team to go after them, or the Elite against MJF & Co.  Elite/IC would take a pretty drastic swerve to get to by the end of the month.

Edited by EVA

This conversation highlights how stupid it was to announce the match for the sake of announcing a cool match. They should've gotten to the destination organically kayfabe-wise. The Newark show was sold out at that point, was it not? I appreciate they want to create these destination episodes of Dynamite between PPVs. It's a great idea. But we all know having gimmick matches just 'cause it's that time of year or just 'cause fucking sucks. They need to be better than this and the Archer bait and switch. I hope they never do anything like this again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, EVA said:

But the Elite aren’t feuding with the Inner Circle right now. 

The company seems pretty comfortable juggling multiple feuds and angles at once for their stars. With Cody, Matt, and Page getting physical with the Inner Circle this week, it won't take much to rope in Kenny and Nick and make it work. It's not like the Inner Circle feuding with Cody and the Bucks or the Omega-Jericho stuff was so long ago that people have forgotten. 

It definitely could be MJF/Wardlow/Butcher/Blade/??? for the heel team. But I feel like they've invested to much time and energy into the Inner Circle to not have them play the Horsemen.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

This conversation highlights how stupid it was to announce the match for the sake of announcing a cool match. They should've gotten to the destination organically kayfabe-wise.

I was gonna say--in all the excitement about AEW doing their own version of War Games, people seem to have missed that this is exactly what WWE does with Hell in a Cell: announce that they're going to have a big stipulation match and then assign a storyline to it later.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I don't think many missed it. A number of us commented on how WWEalike this was.

Cody actually announced The Match Beyond months ago when they were feuding.  But for whatever reason it's happening now.  This was before they announced 'Blood & Guts'  I like that people in here want to conveniently forget that this match was already announced because  "AEW is NO DIFFERENT THAN WWE!!!"  but..   let's at least acknowledge that the match was already setup prior to the naming of the episode. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

With no premise of the match actually happening. The feud was then put to the side and there has been no incident to rekindle it. 

I assume you mean besides the brawl they had this past week but I'm just saying to me this wasn't out of thin air. 

On 3/7/2020 at 3:14 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

Six man titles hold little to no prestige and would end up being just another useless set of belts.  Even back in the days of World Class the title was repped by a pretty insignificant trophy.   

I get the consisitent interest in a mid-card belt, but it does feel refreshing to only have 1 major singles title for each the men and women.  I prefer it this way.  I'd rather simply 1 than a whole bunch of meaningless belts being passed around weekly.  

The only midcard belt I like is the NWA TV title.  That has a purpose and is something unique.  I'd like to see AEW rip that off (minus draws counting as wins), make it like the Dragonstar from WMAC or something.

Maybe throw in a twist that you can also go for the tag belts if you meet the condition, so tag guys would want in on it.  (you'd get to pick your partner)

• Like 1

Given his love (to be nice) of his fathers booking history, hard to believe Cody would not want a TV title, given how effectively Dusty used it in JCP. And hes got two of best TV champs right there to advise him. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed this one after finally watching it. Everything had a real nice flow and only the PAC match pissed me off when he kicked out of that brutal piledriver. 

As far as the belt thing goes them having a trios title did cross my mind considering all the trios teams they now have. It might not be useful beyond a tourney though. 

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Didn't Kenny announce on the boat they were going to have a trios title tourney next year on the cruise?

Kenny and Cody both say a lot of things they probably shouldn't. It seems like the Bucks are the only ones with any sort of restraint. I get it though. Kenny and Cody are both probably really excited about this stuff and can't help but throw ideas out to their audience, like Cody bringing up a secondary championship (now he says maybe not), Kenny talking about a video game, and Kenny talking about something with trios.

• Like 1