Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

Yup. I know Tessa is an idiot but i would add her to the list. It's a lot easier to build up the Statlander, Rose, and Baker types if they have reliably good wrestlers to play off of than to work each other. That match on Saturday, bowling shoe ugly doesn't even begin to describe it but it's obvious for everyone to see that both of them have a tonne of potential. I have a hard time seeing Charlotte leaving, but if they can get at least one more very good woman from WWE and maybe another from Japan, they are suddenly sitting pretty. Asuka would be the dream but I imagine she signed a long term deal in the past year or two, right? Was it before they started to panic sign everybody to 5 year deals? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should look directly at STARDOM for potential stars. That company is so heavy on talent, that I’m sure most of the women feel they could get a bigger spot in another company.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hana is the obvious mega star in terms of personality. Plus they'd assure themselves of getting one viewer on board. She's not a mega worker yet but she's still only a few years into wrestling and has charisma for days and has had a few excellent matches from what I've seen. I know relying entirely on Japanese women isn't ideal but they are so far ahead of the game with their dojo system and mentality and it's going to take the others a while to get better especially if they don't have superior workers to learn from. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yup. I know Tessa is an idiot but i would add her to the list. It's a lot easier to build up the Statlander, Rose, and Baker types if they have reliably good wrestlers to play off of than to work each other. That match on Saturday, bowling shoe ugly doesn't even begin to describe it but it's obvious for everyone to see that both of them have a tonne of potential. I have a hard time seeing Charlotte leaving, but if they can get at least one more very good woman from WWE and maybe another from Japan, they are suddenly sitting pretty. Asuka would be the dream but I imagine she signed a long term deal in the past year or two, right? Was it before they started to panic sign everybody to 5 year deals? 

I still keep thinking about Charlotte and La Sombra securing their own copyrights however many months ago and could see those two making the leap together. They could look at both of them being big fish in a smaller pond. Plus, she's a Flair. She has to go to the competing company at some point, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Hana is the obvious mega star in terms of personality. Plus they'd assure themselves of getting one viewer on board. She's not a mega worker yet but she's still only a few years into wrestling and has charisma for days and has had a few excellent matches from what I've seen. I know relying entirely on Japanese women isn't ideal but they are so far ahead of the game with their dojo system and mentality and it's going to take the others a while to get better especially if they don't have superior workers to learn from. 

Maybe it’s just because I’ve seen a pic of her a day for the past two years thanks to this board but Hana does seem to have a lot of charisma going. Top worker? Maybe not, but I think she’d be more engaging as a character than Riho or Shida. She’s great with a gang, they could use a soft invasion angle to carry the women who aren’t challenging Nyla.

I’m still out on Tessa. I believe in forgiveness but she’s shown zero remorse so I’m not there yet.

Rather than Charlotte I think AEW are more likely to pick up someone like Deonna Purrazzo, people with a lot of talent who aren’t being featured as well because they have so many great women and only so much time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hana was their #1 pick but because roh sponsored and paid for her three year work visa stardom didn’t think it was right to let aew use her. We’ll see what the future holds. 
 

Exciting main event tomorrow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

 


Oh wow...

I think this is the time to give Darby the big win over a major star and have Jericho drop the fall to him. Having Sammy drop the fall at this point won't do anything and it would be a major let down to have the faces lose hot off big wins at the PPV. Darby hasn't really gotten over on any of the big stars despite multiple chances. Giving him the win here would propel him to a singles match with Jericho on a later date. It can also project Jericho into a world of even bigger desperation as he's lost the World Title and now lost to 'this nobody'.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

But they could also be leading up to the Moxley Vs. Jericho TV rematch I’ve predicted. So I think somebody on the face side will take the fall. I guess it’ll depend where they book it on the show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Hana is the obvious mega star in terms of personality. Plus they'd assure themselves of getting one viewer on board. She's not a mega worker yet but she's still only a few years into wrestling and has charisma for days and has had a few excellent matches from what I've seen. I know relying entirely on Japanese women isn't ideal but they are so far ahead of the game with their dojo system and mentality and it's going to take the others a while to get better especially if they don't have superior workers to learn from. 

Hana also speaks english.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was also thinking Jungle Kyona. Cute, infectious personality, and is probably one of the, if not the best women’s wrestler in the world. Her reason for maybe wanting to go are that she’s older(28), and that to STARDOM is a death sentence to your potential climb up the ranks, so her chances of getting a bigger role are slim. Getting her wouldn’t be that difficult. But I don’t know about her personal life, she might be thinking of retirement soon, like Kairi, and start a family.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any chance of Sasha Banks going to AEW, or did she renew her contract recently? She has star power and is an excellent (albeit sometimes scarier than Darby Allin to watch) wrestler. And she seems like enough of a wrestling nerd to go to a company that'll give her more creative freedom, even if its crop of female wrestlers is much worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Is there any chance of Sasha Banks going to AEW, or did she renew her contract recently? She has star power and is an excellent (albeit sometimes scarier than Darby Allin to watch) wrestler. And she seems like enough of a wrestling nerd to go to a company that'll give her more creative freedom, even if its crop of female wrestlers is much worse.

She renewed her contract. I don’t believe there was ever a chance of her coming.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Maybe it’s just because I’ve seen a pic of her a day for the past two years thanks to this board but Hana does seem to have a lot of charisma going. Top worker? Maybe not, but I think she’d be more engaging as a character than Riho or Shida. She’s great with a gang, they could use a soft invasion angle to carry the women who aren’t challenging Nyla.

I’m still out on Tessa. I believe in forgiveness but she’s shown zero remorse so I’m not there yet.

Rather than Charlotte I think AEW are more likely to pick up someone like Deonna Purrazzo, people with a lot of talent who aren’t being featured as well because they have so many great women and only so much time.

To be honest the constant mentions on here (and by that I mean countless photos and gifs)  have soured me a bit on Hana and that's no fault of her own.  Sometimes it's best to just keep it ones pants.  But that aside it does seem like she has a ton of upside so I wouldn't be opposed to her doing AEW if that happened.  But @LoneWolf&Subs's suggestion of Jungle sounds really great too.

As for Tessa I'm with you in that unless she changes her tune I'd rather not keen on her with AEW.  Plus I sense they wouldn't wanted her anyway unless she tried to actually make things right.

And Deonna's a good call though I don't know her contract status.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What are Deonna's strengths? I don't watch WWE so I'm going off of her work prior to signing, but she struck me as a pretty generic indie women's level talent. Okay to mediocre in the ring and not a lot of personality. Am I way off? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What are Deonna's strengths? I don't watch WWE so I'm going off of her work prior to signing, but she struck me as a pretty generic indie women's level talent. Okay to mediocre in the ring and not a lot of personality. Am I way off? 

She rarely makes television, so hard to say. 

AEW needs to put more work into developing characters for the women. Outside of Dr. Britt, there's approximately one female promo a month. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What are Deonna's strengths? I don't watch WWE so I'm going off of her work prior to signing, but she struck me as a pretty generic indie women's level talent. Okay to mediocre in the ring and not a lot of personality. Am I way off? 

You're not too far off though I do like her submission-based style which would make for a nice addition to the matches.  I haven't seen much personality in NXT though there were glimpses of it at least while in ROH.  I think with the right opportunity she might have a chance to shine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What are Deonna's strengths? I don't watch WWE so I'm going off of her work prior to signing, but she struck me as a pretty generic indie women's level talent. Okay to mediocre in the ring and not a lot of personality. Am I way off? 

As Dewar said, there isn’t a lot of recent stuff to go on but from what I’ve seen she’s a really good mat and strikes style wrestler and with 7 years and some NXT polish under her belt she could be a great asset with greener women even though she’s still pretty young. Can’t speak to promos or anything but there’s ways around that.

edit: I’m not saying Deonna is the be all and end all, she’s just someone underutilizes and skilled and more likely to leave WWE than Charlotte or Sasha.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers all. Nyla gets promo time and they do some packages for Shanna and Swole on Dark occasionally as introductions but there isn't a lot of character work for the others. Some of that may be because they aren't capable of speaking convincingly but they do need to define their personalities better. 

Thanks for the feedback on Deonna. Not a game changer but could be an asset. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The best chance of AEW working with any women in Stardom (beyond the gaijin) is actually forming a working agreement with Stardom. I don't see any of them leaving with Bushiroad money backing them. They were already paid decently well by Rossy Ogawa even before the buyout so they either have to feel incredibly unfulfilled or really want to work in America. Hana doesn't have that strong desire (she already mentioned having no WWE aspirations despite being a fan), and Kyona seems like a lifer. If Kairi leaves WWE it will be to go back to Japan so Stardom is more likely then anything assuming she doesn't want to start a family now that she is married.

I thought I recall something about Hayter and Bea working AEW this month so they aren't gone yet and have only gotten better the past 6 months in Stardom. They are a particularly nice tag team.

Deonna is supposed to be a good-great mat wrestler/grappler type like Madison Eagles. She just happens to also have little personality and charisma. She was only just building her rep in the indies when WWE picked her up. it was a mistake for her to join then because its likely WWE only  saw her as a solid hand based off of her previous work with them. She should have stayed on the indies and continued to build her rep up. She just started to get onto US NXT tv this year though so I wouldn't expect her to want to jump quite yet.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a woman like Kimber Lee would be a most excellent addition to the division. Maybe she can come in with her older brother Brodie.

I have only seen Jamie Hayter the twice that she was on Dynamite, but she fucking RULED. I can kind of take or leave Bea Priestley, but that is more about her overall affect bothering me, I think her in-ring work is plenty fine. They probably aren't bailing on STARDOM, but I would be full-on invested in them in AEW.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw rumors that she might have signed a new deal but if she does become available I think Sasha is the move to build the women's division around. I feel she has the most crossover appeal and can generate interest in all the key demos.  Plus,  she would work her ass off to help everyone there.  

Also, she seems to be interested in outside ventures and AEW would give her more time to do that only having to work once a week. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Casey said:

I see it’s that time of the month again where we fantasy book the women’s division.

Sorry, I saw Kairi was coming to the end of her deal and she's my second fave of current women rasslers. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...