DVDVR Message Board

2013 WORLD SERIES - GUARDIANS vs OUR LAST BEST HOPE

Dolfan in NYC

I think the issue wasn't his inability to get out of the way, it was he lack of effort compounded with counterproductive measures on his part. If he misses the ball and lies flat and Craig still trips because he is an oaf, I doubt there is a call. Whether or not the legs going up was a nefarious tactic by a cheating Red Sock, it basically forced Joyce's hand.

Also, a lot of Boston Facebook friends are complaining about the Beltran hit by pitch. Even if he wasn't wearing the pad, the ball was riding in with no break. It just would have hit him on the forearm.

I'm disappointed in my fellow Cardinals fans.  Whatever happened to "when in doubt, blame Matt Holliday"?  He's the guy who went 0-for-4 and left Carpenter and Beltran stranded in the 7th after the Cards cut the lead to 4-2.

Also, apropos of nothing: who let the loud, obnoxious Packers fan on the Metrolink ride home last night?  It was a train full of good-natured shouting between the Cards and Sox fans until he started running his mouth.

I figure there is a better chance of a St Louis person answering this here

How close are Busch Stadium and the Edward James Dome to each other?

I only realized this morning that both games where in St Louis tonight and basically the same time so I was wondering what that might be like.

God I'm not looking forward to the MLB networkt breakdown.  It's the same every year...just flip the teams:

Harold Reynolds:  Don't worry about this Cardinals club.  They are a great young ball club and they'll be back next year.  They've got a great core in their pitching staff.  They've got these young relievers that they have signed for awhile now.  And a great group of young hitters that are going to be around.  this team will be back in this next year.

Al Leiter: I agree!  Sure the bats didn't get it done in this series, and they tightened up with runners in scoring position and chased some bad pitches.  But this is a team we will be talking about again next year.

Greg Amsinger:  But enough about that.  Let's. Go. Back. To. The Winnging locker room.

same thing they said about the Tigers.  Same thing they said about the Rangers.  Ugh.  It's the worst thing to have to sit and listen to when you're crying in your bucket of Halloween Smarties.

He keeps saying the most obvious shit, is that the major reason most people hate him? I'm sure there's others, but I tune him out.

It's all kinds of stuff.  It's a huge air of arrogance based on having played 21 seasons* in the majors, including a stint in St. Louis as Bob Gibson's catcher during his ridiculous 1968 season.  It's McCarver's insistence on micro-analyzing absolutely everything to try and find a cause ("well, you can see there that he had a 4.32" crease in the mid-thigh of his uniform pants.  Because that threw off the aerodynamics of his pants, he was exactly 11" slower than normal when rounding first.  Thanks to a throw on the correct trajectory by the rightfielder, he was out by exactly 5.68" on that play" and so on.  There's also his habit of stating the super-obvious.  And the fact that his analysis is often wrong and that his mindset is stuck in the 1960s baseball he played.  And so on.

* - a lot of people bag on McCarver for his former player status and talking about the old days.  I don't hear very much of him doing that.  In fact, I don't think he does it enough.  He caught Bob Gibson at the absolute peak of his greatness, during the greatest season by a starting pitcher EVER - he SHOULD share stories about that.  He got 2 rings with St Louis and played on a 3rd WS team - he's got stories to tell.  It's OK to share that insight.

I figure there is a better chance of a St Louis person answering this here

How close are Busch Stadium and the Edward James Dome to each other?

I only realized this morning that both games where in St Louis tonight and basically the same time so I was wondering what that might be like.

They're six blocks or so from each other, but they're short "downtown" blocks.  Can't be much more than half a mile.  I'm guessing since the World Series can't end tonight, there will be more fans at the Rams game than they were predicting over the weekend.

He's still the better half of that broadcast team.

This is true.  McCarver has never had a moment anywhere near as bad as Joe Buck when Randy Moss mooned the crowd.

Oh, I wish just once the Cardinals could just take an advantage when they had it and not screw it up.

You know, I'm running out of allowable times to use the Grand Moff Tarkin quote.  But, hell, I think it will hold one last time:

Posted Image
 Evacuate?  In our moment of triumph?

I think you overestimPosted Image