DVDVR Message Board

2013 WORLD SERIES - GUARDIANS vs OUR LAST BEST HOPE

Dolfan in NYC

I can't feel bad.  The Cardinals have been to four World Series in ten years and won two of them.  To paraphrase Whitey Herzog, I'd rather be 2-2 than 0-0.

Sincerest congratulations to the Red Sox and their fans.  They're most certainly deserving.

Now back to lurk mode till Spring Training.

At the end of the day, you can't go against the will of the people.  They always get what they want in the end and good triumphs over evil.  If the Cardinals had won the Series, it would have been as though they bombed that marathon themselves.

Yeah seriously when did Red Sox fans become Yankee fans. YOu have won 3 championships in the last 10 years.  Stop playing the tortured soul card like Babe Ruth is hovering around the team to destroy them. Stop acting like Cubs and Indian fans. 

I think when you have been programmed to think your the plucky cursed underdog for so long, its hard to break out of that mindset.  Double so when the media keeps playing up that crap with the "haven't won at home since 1918"  storyline.

People never learn.  Much like when Ultimate Warrior trusted Jake Roberts to help him defeat The Undertaker and got burned, baseball fans trusted a team with an obnoxious fanbase to defeat another team with an obnoxious fanbase.  Enjoy it, old man who runs that convenience store.  Have fun, little tykes who were bummed that the Sox hadn't won in six long, torturing years.  You've won the right to be irritating.

Out of every team in the playoffs, the bottom two I wanted to win would go Boston and then Cardinals by sheer divisional rivarly, outside of that I don't give a damn about Boston winning it. Next year it'll be KC/St Louis with the Royals sweeping!

Out of every team in the playoffs, the bottom two I wanted to win would go Boston and then Cardinals by sheer divisional rivarly, outside of that I don't give a damn about Boston winning it. Next year it'll be KC/St Louis with the Royals sweeping!

Only if they can resurrect Denkinger to work alongside Joyce.

The Red Sox were pretty damned epic.

They faced Verlander, Scherzer, Wainwright, Wacha a total of seven times. They went 6-1 in those games.  That's kind of insane.

And in the ALDS, they also beat Matt Moore and David Price. Not bad.

God the whole THEY FINALLY WON A WORLD SERIES AT HOME!!!! shit really needs to go away.

Because those other two championships meant shit

Totally.

The vast majority of the fan base -- for any team -- is going to be at home or in a bar watching it on TV anyway. 

The vast majority also doesn't care as long as they Actually Get It Done.  Especially if it's a team that's had to wait a long time.  Which applied to the Red Sox until rather recently.  I know I as a Giants fan do not care in the slightest that both 2010 and 2012 were finished on the road:  I'm too busy being grateful they even happened (honestly, winning on the road might be even more fun, as it sort of underscores the "shook up the world" "not supposed to be here" "Gotcha!" angle to the victory).  When the Cubs finally get one, is any Cubs fan gonna whine if it gets clinched in the American League park instead of Wrigley?  I highly doubt it.

That was a bizarre -- but not entirely surprising -- instance of FOX being FOX.