DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Spent the $20 for 48 hours rental for the new Trolls  movie that dropped today, and considering I spent 80% less than I would have taking the kids to see it in the Theater, they liked seeing something brand new, and they can still watching for another day and a half, I can get behind spending $20 for new releases at home. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Spent the $20 for 48 hours rental for the new Trolls  movie that dropped today, and considering I spent 80% less than I would have taking the kids to see it in the Theater, they liked seeing something brand new, and they can still watching for another day and a half, I can get behind spending $20 for new releases at home. 

We thought about doing the same, but ultimately didn't because I don't think we would have gone to see it in the theater. My daughter was young enough to like the first Trolls movie, but she's less than a month away from being 10, she was unsure about seeing this one, and we figured if we wouldn't see it in the theater then there's no point in spending $20 to rent it.

The $20 rental is a great idea though, to spare you from the theater.

• Like 1

Folks had speculated that Disney might release Soul directly to Disney+ instead of the theater. Nope - Disney just announced a new release date

June 19, 2020 to November 20, 2020

This also moves Raya and the Last Dragon (new date is now 03/12/21)

That reminds me of the Capone episode of Drunk History where they get into him fishing in his swimming pool. “He was a syphillitic moron,” absolutely killed my wife and I, and we still randomly say it to each other. 

Few notes about Capone

It was originally titled Fonzo

It is being directed by Josh Trank who did Fantastic Four and Chronicle

And it appears that the are going to end up releasing it straight to VOD (I mean the movie is like 4 1/2 years old at this point)

1 hour ago, happjack said:

Is it just me(half Sicilian) but these English dudes trying to play Italian-Americans is just wrong and always comes off as a caricature. 

See also:  French

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Few notes about Capone

It is being directed by Josh Trank who did Fantastic Four and Chronicle

And it appears that the are going to end up releasing it straight to VOD (I mean the movie is like 4 1/2 years old at this point)

Josh Trank just can't catch a break.

Though, if the stories about him and Fantastic Four are true, he probably doesn't deserve one.

Capone will release VOD on May 12. Looks like it is similar to the Trolls World Tour model where the purchase will be good for 48 hours

And @Curt McGirt - part of the reason was Hardy doing Venom

It was originally announced in 2016 and was going to film in 2017. But then Hardy filmed Venom instead. It was after finishing Venom that Hardy said this would be the next movie he worked on.

They then didn't start filming until mid-2018. Everything else seems like was normal delays.

9 hours ago, happjack said:

Is it just me(half Sicilian) but these English dudes trying to play Italian-Americans is just wrong and always comes off as a caricature. 

I mean I have the same problem with a lot of black UK actors/actresses playing African-American characters cause it's very one note in most cases.

Ironically, Hardy just came off doing Taboo with Stephen Graham...whose most famous role arguably is playing Al Capone on Boardwalk Empire. I dunno if you saw the show when he was on there, but if you did, how did you like his take? I thought he was pretty damn good because he wasn't doing a caricature.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It wasn’t until I saw an interview with Stephen Graham about The Irishman that I found out he was an Englishman. Somehow I’ve never seen a single thing from the UK with him in it and like everything where he’s doing his gruff Italian American accent. Oddly enough, he’s apparently in Venom 2 with Hardy. 

• Like 1

I really liked him in Boardwalk Empire. It was weird thinking of him as the sidekick in Snatch and then there he is playing Al Capone, but he worked it in that role. Especially coming in after Bobby Cannivale as a totally OTT villain, he had a more controlled sense of menace and almost likability to him. 

17 hours ago, (BP) said:

It wasn’t until I saw an interview with Stephen Graham about The Irishman that I found out he was an Englishman. Somehow I’ve never seen a single thing from the UK with him in it 

You need to watch This Is England.

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I mean I have the same problem with a lot of black UK actors/actresses playing African-American characters cause it's very one note in most cases.

Ironically, Hardy just came off doing Taboo with Stephen Graham...

Stephen Graham has a black (Jamaican) grandparent.