DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Looks like there's going to be a Creed III, while II was great it derailed what seemed to be the overall storyline of a trilogy started by I. I wonder if they bring Tony Bellew back as Ricky Conlan but make him more of a Conner McGregor style of jagoff who got super angry and bitter in prison.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/creed-3-taps-king-richard-writer-zach-baylin-1281094

36 minutes ago, happjack said:

Looks like there's going to be a Creed III, while II was great it derailed what seemed to be the overall storyline of a trilogy started by I. I wonder if they bring Tony Bellew back as Ricky Conlan but make him more of a Conner McGregor style of jagoff who got super angry and bitter in prison.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/creed-3-taps-king-richard-writer-zach-baylin-1281094

If anything, they'll put Creed up against some super tough menace who'll beat his brains in and Creed will go get Pretty Ricky to help him train for the rematch and Ricky will do it on the stipulation that he gets a guaranteed title shot in the future.  It will be like Rocky III but with dudes of a younger age.

Bellew and Jordan both have a lot of charisma so I think you could get some mileage out of brotherhood / respect movie that gives Conlan a path to redemption and gives Creed a friend that also embodies his warrior ethos given that Creed's chosen profession will undoubtedly put a strain on his body as well as his marriage and his familial relationships. 

It's the lesson that neither his father nor Rocky really learned.

Edited by J.T.

Creed II used elements of all the Rocky sequels already, so I kind of hope it goes in its own direction. And they’ve exhausted what they can do with Rocky in these movies; they need to sack up and kill him off. The only thing I really still want from this franchise that I’ve been expecting since Rocky Balboa is color commentator Clubber Lang. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the end of Creed II was for last hurrah for Rocky, as he admitted he was past it and his last scene in the movie was reconnecting with Junior and his grandkid.  So you can do Creed III with Donnie striking out on his own now without Rocky and leave Rocky retired in wherever the hell it is his son moved to.

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Creed II used elements of all the Rocky sequels already, so I kind of hope it goes in its own direction. 

When the main character is the son of Apollo Creed, I'm not sure how far in its own direction it can go.  Even worse, it's a boxing movie franchise that is well bound by the tropes of those particular films.

What it can do is make the most of the mythology while building a believable story around its new protagonist.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Creed II used elements of all the Rocky sequels already, so I kind of hope it goes in its own direction. And they’ve exhausted what they can do with Rocky in these movies; they need to sack up and kill him off. The only thing I really still want from this franchise that I’ve been expecting since Rocky Balboa is color commentator Clubber Lang. 

Ever since the Rocky Legends game I've wanted prequels and/or sequels of Apollo, Clubber, Drago, George Washington Duke and the mob guys Rocky used to work for. The Clubber Lang story could have picked up after Rocky V with Clubber doing a George Foreman style comeback or have George Washington Duke trying to set-up a way past their primes Balboa-Lang III fight.

Edited by happjack
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, happjack said:

Ever since the Rocky Legends game I've wanted prequels and/or sequels of Apollo, Clubber, Drago, George Washington Duke and the mob guys Rocky used to work for. The Clubber Lang story could have picked up after Rocky V with Clubber doing a George Foreman style comeback or have George Washington Duke trying to set-up a way past their primes Balboa-Lang III fight.

That game ruled. 

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

When the main character is the son of Apollo Creed, I'm not sure how far in its own direction it can go.  Even worse, it's a boxing movie franchise that is well bound by the tropes of those particular films.

What it can do is make the most of the mythology while building a believable story around its new protagonist.

Off the top of my head, I love the 24/7 segments in the Creed movies. They could just do half of the movie like that, and it’s presented like Creed’s turned into a shithead and his challenger is a beloved underdog. Then intersperse it with scenes showing the actual events around the fight buildup and how it was manipulated by the  makers of the show to character assassinate Adonis and turn a fresh face into a commodity. I don’t think HBO would play ball with that, so you’d have to create a fictional comparable docuseries. 

Basically the Rashomon of sports movies. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

Off the top of my head, I love the 24/7 segments in the Creed movies. They could just do half of the movie like that, and it’s presented like Creed’s turned into a shithead and his challenger is a beloved underdog. Then intersperse it with scenes showing the actual events around the fight buildup and how it was manipulated by the  makers of the show to character assassinate Adonis and turn a fresh face into a commodity. I don’t think HBO would play ball with that, so you’d have to create a fictional comparable docuseries. 

Basically the Rashomon of sports movies. 

I mean HBO Boxing doesn't even exist anymore. So they probably will use Brian Kenny and/or someone like that and create a fictional network in the mold of a DAZN or something. 

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm pretty sure the end of Creed II was for last hurrah for Rocky, as he admitted he was past it and his last scene in the movie was reconnecting with Junior and his grandkid.  So you can do Creed III with Donnie striking out on his own now without Rocky and leave Rocky retired in wherever the hell it is his son moved to.

In an interview last year, Stallone talked about possibly doing another Rocky with another 'Rocky befriends new young fighter' story. 

Creed II really did squander the perfect trilogy setup from the first movie. II building to yhe fight against whatisname that knocked Donnie out at the gym in Part I (instead of throwing it away in the first few minutes of the sequel) and Donnie winning the title, leaving a rematch with the just out of prison Conlay for Creed III.

There were moments I really liked in Creed II, but making it functionally a sequel to Rocky IV was a very strange decision. I mean, I get that Drago killed Apollo, but "revenge my dad's death by beating his killer's son in a boxing match" is a weird turn.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There were moments I really liked in Creed II, but making it functionally a sequel to Rocky IV was a very strange decision. I mean, I get that Drago killed Apollo, but "revenge my dad's death by beating his killer's son in a boxing match" is a weird turn.

Eh, there was similar psychology going on with Drago as well with Drago using his son as an instrument of vengeance against Rocky whom he blamed for his reversal of fortune following his defeat so Drago sent his protégé to smash Rocky's protégé.

I didn't really get the sense that Adonis wanted revenge so much as he had a chip on his shoulder because everyone was writing him off under the assumption that since Drago killed his father, Drago's kid was a shoe-in to beat him down and take his championship.  

Even his wife wanted him to quit the game and not take the rematch because of the baby on the way and IMO she didn't believe Creed could win, but warriors gotta do what warriors gotta do.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Eh, there was similar psychology going on with Drago as well with Drago using his son as an instrument of vengeance against Rocky whom he blamed for his reversal of fortune following his defeat so Drago sent his protégé to smash Rocky's protégé.

I didn't really get the sense that Adonis wanted revenge so much as he had a chip on his shoulder because everyone was writing him off under the assumption that since Drago killed his father, Drago's kid was a shoe-in to beat him down and take his championship.  

Even his wife wanted him to quit the game and not take the rematch because of the baby on the way and IMO she didn't believe Creed could win, but warriors gotta do what warriors gotta do.

Wasn't a lot of the Drago and his kid stuff due to Stallone trying to work out his own issues with his late son Sage? 

Monster-Hunter-Movie-Posters-Siliconera-

Monster Hunter first look

Yes its being directed by Paul W.S. Anderson

Yes it also has Ron Pearlman and Tony Jaa

Yes it will do a billion dollars internationally

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Monster-Hunter-Movie-Posters-Siliconera-

Monster Hunter first look

Yes its being directed by Paul W.S. Anderson

Yes it also has Ron Pearlman and Tony Jaa

Yes it will do a billion dollars internationally

Look, it can't be worse than the last couple of Resident Evil movies she did, right?

Right?

Connected

There is A LOT going on in this trailer.

It's Phil Lord/Christopher Miller produced but directed by the Gravity Falls folks

The voice cast is led by: Abbi Jacobson (Broad City) as Katie Mitchell, Danny McBride (Despicable Me, The Angry Birds Movie) as Rick Mitchell, Maya Rudolph (Big Hero 6) as Linda Mitchell, director Mike Rianda as Aaron. It will also feature the voices of Eric Andre (The Lion King) as tech inventor Mark Bowman and Oscar winner Olivia Colman as Siri-like voice assistant called PAL.

Apparently this was originally called The Mitchells vs. The Machines

Has anybody heard of this movie? It kind of snuck up on me while looking at the Right Stuff sale, and they had it on pre-order. I love samurai flicks, and I said “what the hell” before ordering it. It’s directed by Bernard Rose(director of the original Candyman) of all people. But it looks gorgeous with its spacious cinematography, and has quite a unique plot. I’m putting this here because it looks to be so under the radar that I don’t believe it had a press screening in the states(or no one showed up). So this Blu Ray might be a new discovery for it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs