DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/6/2019

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

In one of the earlier shows, the commentary team were promoting tickets on sale for upcoming shows. I liked that, but I don't think they've done it for a couple of weeks.

They do it like on every show. They did it during the women’s match. If tickets aren’t moving, they aren’t moving. They’ll have to find different ways to fill those seats. Papering is a viable option at this point. At least the Champaign show sold well. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 minutes ago, Count of Monte Cristo said:

Actually just a long time lurker.

I do remember that Thibs did predict that exactly this would happen to AEW promoting a giant meltdown on your part. 

You upset that he was right?

Could you be more obvious. Next time, when you do this post a bit around, and then act like a prick with your alt. Now use your real account, and act like this with it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, you're going on ignore.

Wow how sensitive we are. Over someone pointing out AEW’s numbers. Jeez.

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Could you be more obvious. Next time, when you do this post a bit to around, and then act like a prick with your alt. Now use your real account, and act like this with it.

Instead of picking fights with me why don’t you engage and discuss why AEW is already bleeding viewers and attendance a month in?

6 minutes ago, Count of Monte Cristo said:

Instead of picking fights with me why don’t you engage and discuss why AEW is already bleeding viewers and attendance a month in?

I’m an elite. I don’t discuss things with shy “longtime lurkers”.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Longtime lurker and you finally start an account, to have this discussion?

Doesn't seem legit.

Fell out of wrestling for a while and would check in here and there. Was excited about AEW hoping they would be a legit alternative but am now disappointed they decided to make a product for hardcore fans in their little circle  and shun everyone else.

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’m an elite. I don’t discuss things with shy “long time lurkers”.

Oh boy you’re elite alright. Jesus.

You and the rest of their dwindling fanbase. 

Edited by Count of Monte Cristo

40 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Who’s alt account is this? 

As Martin Luther would say....

"Nailed it!"

(Yes I have a BA in History, how did you guess?)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Count of Monte Cristo said:

Fell out of wrestling for a while and would check in here and there. Was excited about AEW hoping they would be a legit alternative but am now disappointed they decided to make a product for hardcore fans in their little circle  and shun everyone else.

Cool, it's not for everyone, click it off and go find wrestling that you enjoy.  From lurking here for years you probably know most of the posters on this board try to watch stuff with an open mind and discuss their likes and dislikes of what they saw. 

For the anger and vitriol hawt takes I think you'll find twitter.com is much more receptive to such things. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

It is interesting that Charlotte is one of their biggest markets TV wise, but they didn't sell out. It's not even like the tickets are all that expensive. I would assume the prices here are the same or lower than Chicago/Hoffman Estates. Our floor seats are $125 each. Ticket prices for good concerts are more than that for shittier seats and tickets to WWE in that price range don't put you in the 4th row. At least I don't think they do.

The cheapest seats were $22 or so before fees, and they’re a really good deal because the Bojangles Coliseum is not that big, so there aren’t any bad seats. I sat in the very last row there for a Nitro once and the sight lines were basically perfect. It was kind of funny how when we first entered our section, it was pretty empty until we walked up a little higher and it became packed. People were definitely choosing the cheapest seats versus paying a little more for just a slightly better view. 

3 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

EIwGmMjX0AEjIlZ?format=jpg&name=medium

You can’t tell from this picture, but the floor seats on the left had a huge gap of space between the last row and the upper sections where you see the black tarp wall. They probably could have put twice as many people on the floor over there. Honestly, I was surprised to hear how hot the crowd sounded and am guessing it was a combination of acoustics and good mic’ing. It was clearly a good crowd, but having been to pretty loud 90s-era Raws and Nitros, at no point did I think it was anything special. In fact, there was a point or two where I thought it seemed dead (I’m looking at you Spears). I was even a little surprised when they announced after the show that they would be back.

28 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Pretty great username for a socko account though. 

I laughed when I saw the name shortly after UNC was mentioned, because there was a twitter account with that name that catfished NC State fans and a local journalist pretty hard during UNC’s academic scandal a few years back.

Edited by JonnyLaw

56 minutes ago, Count of Monte Cristo said:

Actually just a long time lurker.

I do remember that Thibs did predict that exactly this would happen to AEW promoting a giant meltdown on your part. 

You upset that he was right?

Hello ignore list.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I was even a little surprised when they announced after the show that they would be back.

Probably optimism, and maybe Cody wanting the Carolina’s to be viable for them. They really believe the south is where they’ll find their fans. I don’t know if that’s the right idea, but they are trying.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

You're aware that the only audience that's watching wrestling are the hardcore fans, right? Joe Shithead that used to watch WCW in 1998 when he was in college that works at your local Walmart isn't turning on the USA Network on a Wednesday night to watch that fat fuck Adam Cole.

I don't know what you expected out of a group of guys who formed their own promotion, have a meta webseries, and have a PPV coming up this weekend that's named after a running gag in said meta webseries about wrestlers always wearing their gear at the dumbest of times.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

You're aware that the only audience that's watching wrestling are the hardcore fans, right? 

That’s my point and the fucking problem. And instead of addressing that and trying to grow he audience again, AEW doubles down, tells the majority of fans to go F themselves and caters to their little club of fat bearded dudes and purple haired chicks. 

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't know what you expected out of a group of guys who formed their own promotion, have a meta webseries, and have a PPV coming up this weekend that's named after a running gag in said meta webseries about wrestlers always wearing their gear at the dumbest of times.

Well I expected them to maybe not lose almost half their audience in 5 weeks.

But point well taken on the rest of that. No argument from me that this promotion is a giant jerk off vehicle for 5 dorks. 

Now I'm just super curious as to what you think would make their ratings go back up, build and sustain their audience, etc.

Surely it's not something stupidly vague like "appeal to the mainstream".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Now I'm just super curious as to what you think would make their ratings go back up, build and sustain their audience, etc.

Surely it's not something stupidly vague like "appeal to the mainstream".

Well we know what DOESN’T build an audience.... a product based around workrate between talents with poorly defined/non existent characters involved simplistic/non existent storylines. Aka AEW right now. 

What I think would make the numbers go up is what’s always made the numbers go up... drama and a laser focus on characters (not just in the main event but up and down the card) with workrate being the backdrop not the entire main course. And no, what WWE does isn’t that at all... it’s  a poor imitation of that at best.

Now I could be wrong and maybe wrestling is pretty much dead anyway. But it sure as shit is worth a try instead of continuing to do stuff that CLEARLY doesn’t appeal to half of the audience that they literally has five weeks ago. 

Edited by Count of Monte Cristo

Why are we engaging with this reactionary? Ratings declining and leveling out after a highly-promoted premiere is pretty standard, even on highly successful shows. TNT is happy with the results and they've exceeded expectations. If they want to clutch their pearls and collapse on a fainting couch, that's their business.

As for ticket sales in the south, who knows. Maybe a lot of people are busy that time of the year. Maybe their support in the south is softer than they'd like it to be. Doesn't mean the sky is falling. People need to chill out. 

That's all you get out of me if you're going to be ranting about "workrate" (what year is it?), fat dudes and purple haired chicks. Enjoy.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, if you go back in the old AEW threads, we all wondered/worried about where they'd be after the initial wave died down and we are seeing that now. The Corpus Christi sales are bad but they're doing better than I expected. I was hoping for a bigger bounce back after last week's game 7 competition but 822k is still good and hopefully the young audience is something that they can nurture and grow.

• Like 3