DVDVR Message Board

NXT - AUGUST 2019

RIPPA

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So either watch NXT to ensure it doesn't get ruined by Vince or watch AEW and see/hear about NXT getting ruined.  Sure sounds like a tough choice.  But I'm sure there's those that'll watch both the same day even on DVR for all we know this could be much ado about nothing.

In defense after all the things I had said, this is not as big a question as well.

It's Vince. He could have the number one show on television that isn't done on his terms and he'd change it to a show literally no one in the world likes but him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Suppose a person just subscribed to the network who had never seen NXT. What are some must-watch shows/matches/wrestlers?

Charlotte's run as women's champ to Sasha's to Bayley's to Asuka's. There are plenty of good matches in all of those runs though the absolute must see would be Sasha/Becky, Sasha/Bayley I & II, Asuka/Cross LWS, & Ember/Asuka II. Stuff right below those would be Charlotte/Nattie, Charlotte/Sasha, Bayley/Nia, Bayely/Asuka I & II, & Asuka/Mickie. Also check out Bayley vs. Eva Marie which is overbooking done well.

Sami's series of matches with Cesaro are must see. As is his final Takeover match with Nakamura. Other's men stuff I would put in the must see category would be Gargano/Almas at Takeover, Ciampa/Dream, Black/Dream, Roode/Nakamura.

For tag teams its  the Revival vs. DIY series.

• Thanks 1

It is a nightmare paragraph all the way around

WWE has been in contact with Enzo and Cass about a surprise return to be top stars on the NXT brand. We don't know if they've accepted, but Cass really hasn't done much on the indie scene and has also made it clear he wants to get back. Enzo, who really knows. He says a lot of things but his rap career isn't exactly going anywhere and he also hasn't done much on the indie scene, but hasn't walked away from wrestling either. We don't know, but the obvious speculation is either a return on the first show or, the way Vince thinks, I could see the third show being the favorite. The crowd in Orlando live would probably go nuts if this happens, and keep in mind we only know they've been talked to, not that they've accepted, but I can also see a lot of social media negativity toward Enzo in NXT as a featured star. But it's a war and you want surprises and there just aren't that many surprises out there. They are also looking at adding to the writing staff for the show, so there will be one major philosophical difference because AEW is not hiring writers for their show. While that won't be a major factor in ratings, because that'll be determined by station and promotion, but as far as a head-to-head show battle each week, it will be a completely word-for-word scripted WWE style show against an old school version of segments laid out but not complete scripting

On 8/24/2019 at 5:37 PM, Zimbra said:

Suppose a person just subscribed to the network who had never seen NXT. What are some must-watch shows/matches/wrestlers?

There was a best of NXT 3 DVD set about a year ago that had most of the good stuff from 2014 - 2017.  also think they have done yearly ones lately if you still watch DVD's (god that sentence makes me feel old )

For people that scream about how much influence Vince is going to have when NXT goes to USA, Enzo and Cass going back really is Exhibit A if it does happen.  As someone on Twitter said, if 2019 Ring of Honor doesn't want them back that should be the best sign

• Like 1

I have a question for all of the NXT devotees around here?  Has there been a single second in your life that you were watching NXT and thought, "You know who they should bring back?  Enzo and Cass."  Nope, me neither.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Even if I was a fan of Big Cass and Enzo (I am very, very not), there are so many people who get no time on the main roster that could slot in to the upper card in NXT. There's absolutely no reason to go out and sign shitty wrestlers with negative buzz at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, w. josh said:

Even if I was a fan of Big Cass and Enzo (I am very, very not), there are so many people who get no time on the main roster that could slot in to the upper card in NXT. There's absolutely no reason to go out and sign shitty wrestlers with negative buzz at this point.

This is why I don't like NXT moving to USA.  They can't be trusted to not fix the parts of the show that aren't broken...or even notice the things that are.

• Like 1

From all reports - Cass has really turned things around and has said and done all the right things to be welcomed back.

The problem for him is still being attached with the other guy

In a vacuum, I'd be fine with those guys coming back and being in a sort of Tyler Breeze role -- returning veterans who put over new acts. 

Knowing what we know, I'd absolutely pass on Enzo. But if Kass has his head straight, why not? He's a recognizable name. He can talk. He has size. I'm not asking him to be in the main event. But he'd be a really serviceable mid-card gatekeeper type. Throw him out for a segment or two with his catchphrases, have him in a seven-eight minute match against whoever you want to put over, rinse-and-repeat. He can be either a face or a heel. You need people like that to chew up time with a two hour weekly show.

• Like 2

Again, though, the main roster is filled with guys with recognizable names who can promo at least as well as Cass and have either size or athleticism, AND don't have the stink of being associated with a garbage person. I'd rather see Apollo Crews do his robot/gymnast act against a fresh set of talent, or No Way Jose eat up time with goofy party segments, or AoP squash local dudes.

• Like 2