DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

New Japan kicking off the G1 in Texas seems like a really odd choice. Was there some kind of demand for New Japan in Texas? Sure, I'm bias being in New Jersey, but I think MSG would have been the best choice to have the G1 in the US. I can only speak for myself, but I assume most people at the NJPW/ROH Supercard were there for New Japan. 

In non G1 news, Southern Showdown is finally up on New Japan World.

I'm pretty sure it's in Dallas because AXS is based there. Probably got them a good arena deal.

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I'm pretty sure it's in Dallas because AXS is based there. Probably got them a good arena deal.

That's what I figured, since Mark Cuban owns it and also owns the Dallas Mavericks.

I'm in a hotel in LA so I can fly across the world to watch this shit in Japan and I can't watch this shit right now. Fuck you Mark Cuban, fuck you with Dirk Nowitski's seven-foot retired dick (the dick has a championship ring on it).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was outside pressure washing the deck but I came in for the last 5 minutes of SANADA/ZSJ and there are few who are as fluid together as those two. I could watch those two wrestle for days. Unbelievably cool finishing sequence that builds on all of their shit and past meetings.

Then Zack goons the referee. ?

• Like 4

Really liked KENTA vs Ibushi although I think KENTA still has some rust on him.  Luckily he has a guy in Ibushi who have NO issues beating the shit out of someone and taking it as well.  I hope that Ibushi selling the ankle was just a work

Edited by hammerva

Ospreay/Archer was amazing, loved that... great stuff from both guys and my favorite match of the night. Always glad to see Archer get a chance to shine. Awesome finishing sequence in Sanada/Sabre. Kota/KENTA was pretty good and Tanahashi/Okada always delivers the goods. Okada is the man, dug the post-match promo. Loved the opening video with little intro bits to each wrestler in block A, felt Tekken esque. Something minor but super effective in introducing each guy and getting over their motivation quick and simple.

Edited by DreamBroken

I guess this is the best place for this.

https://www.f4wonline.com/new-japan-news/njpw-coming-east-coast-fighting-spirit-unleashed-tour-287396

New Japan at the Hammerstein and the ECW Arena!!! Tickets go on sale July 26th. I will be at one or both shows.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of Ospreay/Archer.  Maybe Archer can take Fale’s spot of monster getting a title shot.  I really love ZSJ as a cocky prick!  Not sure if he is truly like that, but it’s believable.  It looks like I am in the minority, but I didn’t like the Kenta/Ibushi match.  Didn’t seem to have a great flow and felt like Ibushi was slowing things down so Kenta could keep up.  Didn’t hate it, but was well below the Archer/Ospreay, ZSJ/SANADA and Tana/Okada matches for me.  

• Like 5

I'm coming into this on the replay. 

The Cobb/Ishii/Young Boys match was RIDICULOUSLY fun. The crowd might not be as big as they should be but they are on fire for this, Cobb and Ishii immediately instigate a rivalry, the youngins get beaten on and show a little style. You give this five more minutes of beatings and it'd be up there with any WAR match ever. DEAN needs to see this. 

White looks better with his grown out beard (he looks like an adult now. Seriously, some people just look better with proper facial hair), and him tagging against Goto and Yoshihashi feels... right. Sadly. I still love Goto for no reason and he takes his status in the NJ hierarchy out on Chase Owens admirably. White does the same to Yoshi. 

Juicey Boy's attire is something else. Him, Liger, and Yano have to be the most colorful trio ever. It's a close match for LIJ's badassery, but not quite. Shingo is gonna be fun in the G1; Liger, though, is gonna be who you're gonna miss. He needs one more fucking classic with Dick Togo in Bolivia or an Osaka parking garage or somewhere before he hangs it up. 

Meanwhile, Archer's sick metalpunk look is way too hard for his horrible theme. Probably the best ridiculous wrestling hairstyle since Tenzan, though. Him pulling the rope walk was slick. I usually don't have a problem with Ospreay but wasn't feeling his hippy-flippy stuff here against Archer. Maybe it's some childhood love of a Razor Ramon type that is affecting me? Ospreay does do the best Code Red of all time on the ramp though, and the always shitty Os Cutter is kicked out of. Another notch in Archer's belt is using the Iron Claw in Dallas. If he had done it on Tiger Hattori and Tiger bladed this would have cracked a top ten of the year despite any highspottery. 

EVIL'S MASK HAS NAILS STICKING OUT OF IT. He officially wins the New Japan Fashion Show that is this card. And then you have a Bad Luck Fale match, but the crowd is super behind EVIL. He does the smartest thing ever and kicks the chair square in the face of Fale as Marty is trying to grab it away. Finish is about as as best to be expected. 

Sanada and ZSJ was fucking awesome. Lucharesu meets UWFi, great stuff. Sanada still needs to work on his facial expressions (far too much dead-eyed stuff) but aside from that this was killer. 

KENTA/Ibushi was MEAN. Kenta might as well have been Koji Kanemoto in this one. I just hope Ibushi's ankle is okay. And that he doesn't get his brains scrambled any further, because seriously, how much do you need to get kicked directly in the head? It makes me feel gross loving this while hating the head-drop fest that was Ibushi/Naito because this really wasn't much better as far as potential head injuries go. 

Tana/Okada y'all can contemplate. I will question why the stadium is so bright. You'd think you wouldn't want to underline the lack of fans...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Agree with that assessment of Kota/KENTA. Was slow as molasses and never really got firing like we were hoping.

I think it was fine, reminded me of a Tenryu/Hashimoto kind of bout if that makes any sense. You don't need Ibushi to be moving at an vs. Omega speed with this, or even a vs. Ospreay or whoever. This was a KENTA match. Let it be one. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 1:55 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

New Japan kicking off the G1 in Texas seems like a really odd choice. Was there some kind of demand for New Japan in Texas? 

Okada wanted some Whataburger. If you were here, you'd understand.

• Like 2

I actually liked the bright lighting for the event. I thought it looked great on TV. It's just that the arena had like no one in it, LOL. 

I think NJPW going to Texas was a fine idea, just focus on doing more realistic venues that you can fill up and make look cool on TV. 

Archer vs. Ospreay was a lot of fun. I think one of the good things about the exodus is that it's allowed guys like Archer to step up into the spotlight more. I've always felt Archer was underrated going back to his TNA days as Lance Hoyt. Glad he seems to be finding a second wind on his career now in New Japan.

Thought Okada vs. Tanahashi was great. I think that was my favorite bridging Dragon Suplex ever. 

EDIT:

NJPW going to Dallas and American Airlines Center surprised me because NJPW seemed so cautious when they first started this US touring thing back in 2017. So it seems after starting a slow crawl they moved to running too quickly. If they weren't selling out the Cow Palace last year in San Francisco, not sure why they thought it was a great idea to do American Airlines in Dallas this year, especially with a depleted roster.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Ospreay/Archer was, in my opinion, way better than their NJ Cup match and was pretty fun with small guy high spots vs big man high spots type of match. I wouldn't mind if we got a third singles match between them this year where Ospreay manages to hit stormbreaker in the middle of the ring.

Fale/Evil was whatever. Fale sometimes can be still fun, like in matches against Okada, Tanahashi and I think his match against Juice was fun as well. But I wouldn't mind if I never saw him again in G1. If Archer has a good run I would prefer him as the resident "big guy who can beat anyone" spot that Fale has occupied so far.

Sanada/ZSJ was great, they are now 2-2 and I hope that NJPW continues booking them against each other. They work great with each other and I like that you never really know when the match is going to end due to now 3 matches ending with a roll-ups/bridges/whatever. I think that at some point they need to do something like 3 minutes match where one of them picks up a roll-up victory to make their opening and mid-match sequences even hotter.

KENTA/Ibushi was good I thought, but I (and many others I think) had very high hopes for it and it wasn't MOTN. Hard to really judge it to be honest, I think it might look better after some time.

Tanahashi/Okada was great as always.

My personal MOTN is Sanada/ZSJ, mainly because I was 100% sure that Okada was going to win this and with Sanada/ZSJ I could see it going either way. Due to that I was a bit more invested into it.

This looks cool, but I'm not 100% that it is real:

In post match some smart guy decided to ask Okada about TNA and they cut off the feed. Wonder if they just ran out of time or decided to not bother with this bullshit.

• Like 3