DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

6 hours ago, iowanole said:

I really love ZSJ as a cocky prick!  Not sure if he is truly like that, but it’s believable. 

Can't speak for the rest of the time, but when I met him he was a really nice bloke. Very approachable. I loved the Sanada match, ZSJ is such a throwback, but at the same time he seems totally new and fresh. 

Juice has the worst gear in the biz right now. That is some seriously hideous shit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

Fuck I want Ishii to take this whole thing.  

I love that dude.

Be nice if Tomohiro Ishii gets a IWGP Heavyweight Championship reign as a thank you equivalent. I wanted same for Minor Suzuki. Doubt it happens for Hirooki Goto booked as a fucking choker.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I buy Ishii’s act entirely.

As much 90s NJPW juniors hooked me.  I had fallen off watching during the period pretty much every one else did.  Lesnar laid an egg and Nakamura wasn’t quite what he would become.

But between a couple of podcasts I caught doing recaps of New Japan.  They sold me on some match Ishii had with Honma.  I watched it and my jaw hit the ground with how unapologetically stiff it was.  Instant fan and it got me back into NJPW. Just brutal.

Kevin Kelly put over the idea last night, that Ishii has wins in the tournament over reigning World Champions.  That can be the seed.  

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

Can't speak for the rest of the time, but when I met him he was a really nice bloke. Very approachable. 

He just seems immature for a guy who should know better, or at least surround himself with smarter wrestling people. Like remember the twitter thing with Vader that got setup into a match? Everybody with half a brain would tell you that Vader was going to work that young punk by refusing to job to him after agreeing to it, but him, and his people still booked the match. ...Guess what? Vader refuses to do the agreed to job, and probably wanted more money to do it. So they put Vader over, and then Will sat in the ring, and broke kayfabe because he got out hustled by a vet. 

Its been a long while, but I’ll never forget that. I remember some fanboys were saying “How dare Vader do something like that...”. Yeah “How dare” a nearly retired on his last legs independent wrestler who isn’t under contract use this to his advantage.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

NJPW going to Dallas and American Airlines Center surprised me because NJPW seemed so cautious when they first started this US touring thing back in 2017. So it seems after starting a slow crawl they moved to running too quickly. If they weren't selling out the Cow Palace last year in San Francisco, not sure why they thought it was a great idea to do American Airlines in Dallas this year, especially with a depleted roster.

My wife knows little about wrestling and the first thing she noticed on television was the empty arena. Her response, "Why didn't they book the (Kay Bailey) Dallas Convention Center? It's just a few minutes down the road?"

The DCC seats 9-10,000 and would have been much cheaper, I'd imagine.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

My wife knows little about wrestling and the first thing she noticed on television was the empty arena. Her response, "Why didn't they book the (Kay Bailey) Dallas Convention Center? It's just a few minutes down the road?"

The DCC seats 9-10,000 and would have been much cheaper, I'd imagine.

NJPW didn't book the venue, AXS TV owner and massive source of American Airlines Center's profits Mark Cuban did. A deal was made.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He just seems immature for a guy who should know better, or at least surround himself with smarter wrestling people. Like remember the twitter thing with Vader that got setup into a match? Everybody with half a brain would tell you that Vader was going to work that young punk by refusing to job to him after agreeing to it, but him, and his people still booked the match. ...Guess what? Vader refuses to do the agreed to job, and probably wanted more money to do it. So they put Vader over, and then Will sat in the ring, and broke kayfabe because he got out hustled by a vet. 

Its been a long while, but I’ll never forget that. I remember some fanboys were saying “How dare Vader do something like that...”. Yeah “How dare” a nearly retired on his last legs independent wrestler who isn’t under contract use this to his advantage.

I think original post was about Zack, not about Ospreay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Be nice if Tomohiro Ishii gets a IWGP Heavyweight Championship reign as a thank you equivalent. I wanted same for Minor Suzuki. Doubt it happens for Hirooki Goto booked as a fucking choker.

It's probably too late for Goto, but they've got enough secondary singles titles that they ought to just give him one and let him keep it for a couple of years to build his credibility back up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

NJPW didn't book the venue, AXS TV owner and massive source of American Airlines Center's profits Mark Cuban did. A deal was made.

I've heard about this and Cuban probably gave them a good discount or deal on American Airlines. But is it really worth it to see a more than half empty arena on TV when you're trying to put on an epic live TV special for your G1 tournament? 

At least the crowd that was there were really into it. Strange but positive atmosphere if you can get past all of the empty seats. Their expansion has been so odd anyway so it fits in that sense. 

• Like 4

First, I thought the venue looked really good on camera, and kudos for their having no qualms with showing they didn't sell out. Kind of refreshing compared to the TV companies blocking their buildings to appear sold out. The empty seats made me wish I was closer to Dallas. No shame in a company not heavily promoted in the US not selling out a major arena. 

Ospreay-Archer was fantastic. I thought this improved a great deal on their previous bout.  This may in part be due to my now being used to Ospreay's sometimes goofy/weak flips (JR's 'no wasted motion' call certainly does not apply to the very talented Will). Archer looked a lot better here too. I like seeing misused yet talented guys like Archer get another kick at the can. I know from the little I saw of him in TNA that his weaknesses were not being hidden, but a man of his size with his athleticism should not have failed. He may very well end up walking away from NJPW as a coveted free agent, or stay and become an impressive lifetime gaijin. 

6 hours ago, Archibald said:

KENTA/Ibushi was good I thought, but I (and many others I think) had very high hopes for it and it wasn't MOTN. Hard to really judge it to be honest, I think it might look better after some time.

Tanahashi/Okada was great as always.

My personal MOTN is Sanada/ZSJ, mainly because I was 100% sure that Okada was going to win this and with Sanada/ZSJ I could see it going either way. Due to that I was a bit more invested into it.

This looks cool, but I'm not 100% that it is

This one seems to have split the crowd. Perhaps the expectations? I was reading a lot about worry whether KENTA could still hang.  So going in, this was more a question mark on KENTA.  I certainly wasn't expecting it to be the standout.  Not that it was, but I really liked it. Everything except what looked to me to be a pretty weak looking GTS to finish.   

Agreed, Tanahashi-Okada was great! I'm newer than most to this rivalry, so this match-up is still very fresh.  The Tanahashi dive to the outside looked very hard on the knees. 

I too loved Sanada/ZSJ. I think ZSJ may be my favorite wrestler in 2019.  Loved his heel arrogance here. I completely agree with this poster...

6 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

ZSJ is such a throwback, but at the same time he seems totally new and fresh. 

I would love for the business in general to embrace more of his athletic chain style.  

Those were the only matches I saw. I'd love to see the Cobb-Ishii tag. Cobb is so ready to enter the top of the card with either NJPW or maybe dare I say AEW. From what I gather his availability is open soon.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

At least the crowd that was there were really into it. Strange but positive atmosphere if you can get past all of the empty seats. Their expansion has been so odd anyway so it fits in that sense. 

I can't think of any NJPW show that wasn't well received by the audience there.   If they do the G1 next year in the US for any part of it (Okada hinted at it in his victory speech) , I've decided I'm going - especially now that I'm getting the other thing I always wanted to do out of the way in a few weeks.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

mIsvD6z.jpg

Every time he makes a face like this I hear Fred Willard from A Mighty Wind saying "Wha' happened?". This could be why I've been enjoying Ospreay matches more these days (it isn't, it's because he's improved a lot).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I guess this is the best place for this.

https://www.f4wonline.com/new-japan-news/njpw-coming-east-coast-fighting-spirit-unleashed-tour-287396

New Japan at the Hammerstein and the ECW Arena!!! Tickets go on sale July 26th. I will be at one or both shows.

I’m definitely trying to get Philly tickets. I just hope Liger is on the show since it’s probably my last chance to see him live before he retires.

I loved this show. While I wish the crowd was larger, they were loud and into everything. 

Cobb/Narita vs. Ishii/Umino got me really looking forward to Cobb vs. Ishii. I can't wait to see them throwing bombs at each other. I expect this to be up there with Ishii's matches against Taichi and EVIL.

I like Lance Archer's new look and introduction of some new moves. I feel like it will help put KES behind him sooner than later. I can't recall a better Archer match than this one vs. Ospreay. I was surprised to see Ospreay drop his first match.

I was also suprised EVIL dropped this match against Fale. You know what you're going to get in a Fale match, so I wasn't expecting much. I would have preferred if someone else, say Minoru Suzuki got Fale's spot.

I really liked SANADA/ZSJ. I like Zack being such a cocky, little prick that knows just how good he is while making it look effortless. Him throwing a trantrum like a petulant child is exactly how he should react to those rare losses. SANADA is another one that is so smooth he makes everything look effortless. I thought they matched up really well together.

Kota/KENTA was better than I expected. KENTA looked super motivated. I'd love to see another match between them somewhere down the line.

How does it get any better than Okada vs. Tanahashi on the opening night of the G1? I liked Kevin Kelly pointing out they had never beaten one another in G1 matches.

15 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

I’m definitely trying to get Philly tickets. I just hope Liger is on the show since it’s probably my last chance to see him live before he retires.

I hope you get to see him. I got that out of the way at MSG. I had seen him in 2004 in ROH as well.