DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

Just finishing the show earlier tonight, think I liked it more than the last one. Love the venue, great visual. Skipped the preshow based off the last two, but didn't realize the womens tag was on that though I've heard mixed reviews so I guess I'm going back for that.

Shawn Spears still does absolutely nothing for me.. just corny from the moment he walks out on. Actually liked Brandi/Allie and the post match. Still don't care about dark order. Hangman/Sabian was ridiculously long. The booking thus far has not done Page many favors. Lucha Bros/SCU and Omega/Cima were good. Liked the main event but agree it could've been shorter. Edit: going back and watching the preshow tag, loved it.. thought everyone involved looked pretty good and the rana finish came off excellent.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CSC said:

I thought everything about this show went too long, and then I popped on Extreme Rules and I’m sitting here 17 minutes still waiting for a fucking match to actually start and nothing about Fight for the Fallen feels too long anymore.  

Catching up on the thread, this was my favorite, cracked me up

Just getting to the end of this and I enjoyed it, however the one thing that remains a mystery to me is that every other form of entertainment in the world is trying to get shorter and wrestling seems to be going the other way. There is no reason any of this should be more than 3 hours long.

• Like 1

Jim Ross stated that the WWE invited him to the RAW Reunion but he declined.

He said that Tony Khan left the decision completely up to him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Jim Ross stated that the WWE invited him to the RAW Reunion but he declined.

He said that Tony Khan left the decision completely up to him

Luckily, WWE creative leaks like a sieve now, so we'll soon know exactly what they had planned for him. I'm guessing it wasn't going to be "JR and Lawler call one last match together for old times sake". I mean, it could have been, that could have been what they told him, but when he showed up it would turn into Dolph Ziggler makes fun of Jim Ross for being old, or something along those lines.

7 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

Just getting to the end of this and I enjoyed it, however the one thing that remains a mystery to me is that every other form of entertainment in the world is trying to get shorter and wrestling seems to be going the other way. There is no reason any of this should be more than 3 hours long.

Is this true? Comic book movies going 2 hours plus and the endless hip hop 'playlists' and albums to help quantify numbers for charts.  And the mass amount of music festivals.  I think it's in fact a problem with all entertainment.  

Looking forward to this Spears interview.  I can see he hasn't quite won the crowd, but I expect Spears to take the ball and run with it.  

16 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Is this true? Comic book movies going 2 hours plus and the endless hip hop 'playlists' and albums to help quantify numbers for charts.  And the mass amount of music festivals.  I think it's in fact a problem with all entertainment.  

All forms of entertainment believe that content is king.  Hey,  let's saturate the shit out of the market.   There's a line.  Yes,  you need content but do I want two hours of great content or do I want 4 hours of mediocre content?  I think the answer to that is simple.  

But there's streaming wars going on here and it's happening in TV and it's happening in music.  The only thing they care about is if there is more content available then theoretically more content should be streamed.   WWE is the same way,  they throw a ton of shit out there and feel like well there's more eyeballs right?  No,  actually it's the same people watching all the content and that audience is dwindling. 

• Like 1

I was thinking, "this is the same trend with wrestling podcasts."  I stopped listening to the Conrad shows 1) because Prichard is garbage and 2) because I just can't deal with a 2+ hour podcast featuring the same people talking about the same stuff.  Then, for fun, I looked up Between the Sheets because I had heard its length was similar...... 

THEY HAVE 6-HOUR SHOWS? 

Seriously dudes, wtf.  I enjoy wrestling but no way can I listen to the same show for 6 hours.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

As someone that's done probably 98 episodes of a 116 episode podcast that went 2-3 hours EVERY FUCKING TIME and sometimes more, we just put everything out there with our conversation.  If we got tired or bored we stopped.  We never thought about the length of the show because people were actually watching us do it live and shit and we were interacting with them and stuff; we had a few people complain about the length but our answer was always "do it in more than one sitting, do it on double speed, or you know, you could just not listen at all if length is an issue".  Well, actually, it was usually a joke about dick size and then we'd say that later.  But you guys know what I mean.

But the thing is, we weren't paying anyone.  We also weren't getting paid.  Doing these long-ass shows has to be costing a shitload of money that could be spent better elsewhere, like one sort of shitty three hour show could be two really good 90 minute shows.

• Like 1

I got a couple of months behind on BTS (I have added too many podcasts to my rotation). So I get them loaded onto my phone so I can listen to them whenever, and only one of the 9 most recent episodes goes under 4 hours. There's two episodes going 6 and 3/4 hours. I am going to need to listen all day at work for the next week to catch up. 

I always give Kris & Bix credit for being able to do monster length shows. My old.man bladder could never do it. 

Philosophically, I try to shoot for 45-60 minutes for our show. In the beginning, I wanted 2 guests for a 90 minute show. But given the problem getting guests, that would make the show even more irregular than it already is.

BTW, today's Super Stud Cast guest is Dutch. Dutch is always great but I'm a little burnt out on hearing stuff about Brodys death. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 2

Does anyone else feel like Kenny Omega is no longer enjoying doing his "Goodbye and Good Night" deal? Seemed like he was really into it as a Bullet Club concept, but now he's not in the Bullet Club it's an obligation he's grown to resent a little.

• Like 2

The difference with podcasts or whatever is I can listen to them while I'm cutting my grass or driving to work. For me to enjoy wrestling I generally have to be in front of a tv or a computer and I'm not really into even that. 

I see wrestling as more of a sport. I want to watch it when it's happening. Almost every other sport is currently being mindful of event length and almost none routinely go over 3 hours except mlb, and they know it's a problem.

Does anyone else feel like Kenny Omega is no longer enjoying doing his "Goodbye and Good Night" deal? Seemed like he was really into it as a Bullet Club concept, but now he's not in the Bullet Club it's an obligation he's grown to resent a little.

I get that.  Makes  no sense to me who has never seen it before.  But certainly it's quick and inoffensive.  It does feel like another example of them assuming everyone loves everything they do.  

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

As someone that's done probably 98 episodes of a 116 episode podcast that went 2-3 hours EVERY FUCKING TIME and sometimes more, we just put everything out there with our conversation.  If we got tired or bored we stopped. 

Sounds like your show is more of a hobby for you then delivering a high quality show, and that's a-okay. I wonder tho, and not specific to your podcast (what is your podcast?) but if podcast producers were conscious of keeping an audience invested they'd take out the cutting tool and keep the quality not quantity.  

I stopped watching WWE programming a long time ago, and reading about Raw being a 3 hour show plus all their other shows, and how Mania will go 4-5, I can't even imagine sitting thru that.  Seems like absolutely torture.  Has there ever been a show that went over 3 and a half hours that felt like it was worth it?  Geez, has WWE ever produced a strong 3 hour Raw?

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I used to listen to a bunch of wrestling pods at work whether it was Between the Sheets or Titans of Wrestling,  I wish they had carried it into the late 80s because that was still a very interesting time in WWF but I digress...   it's just too much content out there now between pods and the actual wrestling it's hard to decide how to spend my time. 

Take the G1 for instance. This will be my 4th or 5th year in a row watching every single tournament match and I love it but it's a chore once you miss a night and now you are two nights behind.  I end up skipping all the tag matches etc. and just watching the round robin. 

37 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I get that.  Makes  no sense to me who has never seen it before.  But certainly it's quick and inoffensive.  It does feel like another example of them assuming everyone loves everything they do.  

Sounds like your show is more of a hobby for you then delivering a high quality show, and that's a-okay. I wonder tho, and not specific to your podcast (what is your podcast?) but if podcast producers were conscious of keeping an audience invested they'd take out the cutting tool and keep the quality not quantity.  

I stopped watching WWE programming a long time ago, and reading about Raw being a 3 hour show plus all their other shows, and how Mania will go 4-5, I can't even imagine sitting thru that.  Seems like absolutely torture.  Has there ever been a show that went over 3 and a half hours that felt like it was worth it?  Geez, has WWE ever produced a strong 3 hour Raw?

My podcast where I talked wrestling was Masks, Mats, and Mayhem.  We don't really do that anymore.  The archive is here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7EntxTVEhayZjaC6_1-Kog

Some of the older ones are audio only and can be found on whatever podcast service you use.

My current podcast, which is edited down for quality, is called Another Miserable Podcast and is about horror movies (sometimes movies in general - we did a John Wick episode).  

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/another-miserable-podcast

As for your last question, a lot of PWG shows.  That one BOLA that me and @Robert and @S.K.o.S. were at was that long each night and worth it, though by the final night I might not have REALLY felt that way because it was really hot and I felt like I was going to die some of the time.  But I got to meet Robert and SKOS

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I used to listen to a bunch of wrestling pods at work whether it was Between the Sheets or Titans of Wrestling,  I wish they had carried it into the late 80s because that was still a very interesting time in WWF but I digress...   it's just too much content out there now between pods and the actual wrestling it's hard to decide how to spend my time. 

Take the G1 for instance. This will be my 4th or 5th year in a row watching every single tournament match and I love it but it's a chore once you miss a night and now you are two nights behind.  I end up skipping all the tag matches etc. and just watching the round robin. 

Dude, last year's G1 I was all in.  Watched every goddamned match, and then my least favorite guy (as in least favorite guy with a chance of winning, eat shit Yoshi Hashi) ended up winning.  It felt like I did it all for nothing.

Not having Suzuki in it this year kept me from doing this again.  Fool me once, shame on Gedo.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

Edited by Tromatagon