DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I used to listen to a bunch of wrestling pods at work whether it was Between the Sheets or Titans of Wrestling,  I wish they had carried it into the late 80s because that was still a very interesting time in WWF but I digress...   it's just too much content out there now between pods and the actual wrestling it's hard to decide how to spend my time. 

I would much rather listen to podcasts than watch any contemporary program outside of CMLL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I would much rather listen to podcasts than watch any contemporary program outside of CMLL. 

Funny thing, I was going to bring this up in my last post. Meltzer would hate me because I haven't moved on. Give me anything pre-1994 whether it's watching it or listening to knowledgeable people talking about it forever. I'm giving this AEW thing a chance but I seriously doubt it's going to move me out of the stone age. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

83 Weeks, and Edge & Christian might be my favorite of the wrestling podcasts. Jericho is decent. If you love history then the Ron Fuller one is fascinating. 

Christian really does love being a dick. 

I'm probably alone on this but I usually prefer most non-wrestler podcasts to wrestler podcasts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You mean non wrestler wrestling podcasts?

Yeah,  I just feel they offer more historical background and insight into what was going on in a specific time and place. Wrestlers are often forgetful or just discuss their own career as opposed to the entire promotion. 

• Like 1

I think it depends.

The best historical pods in my rotation are prob the Exile shows Kris does with people like Beau James and Barry Rose, who were first hand witnesses to their various areas. 

I think wrestler pods are best with a knowledgeable co host, like Reedy with Jarrett and Last with Cornette and Fuller. 

The best wrestler only pods for me are the ones more about personality (e&c, austin) and not so much about history. 

• Like 1

I finished up Fight for the Fallen last night. I thought it was a really fun show with some exceptional wrestling featuring. That being said it was a very long show that with main show and pre show went about 4 hours and 20 minutes. 

The venue looked incredible I really liked the ascetic. The way that place is set up it looked like there was more than the 5,000 in attendance it looked more like 10-20 thousand to me. IDK if they should go there for the first TNT show but its should definitely be 2nd or third episode.

While the venue is awesome, the problem with running there is that it's hot as balls and you're relying on mainly locals going there. They could maybe run that place once or twice a year, but they're always going to be at the mercy of the climate in Jacksonville, which is probably going to be shitty most of the time.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

While the venue is awesome, the problem with running there is that it's hot as balls and you're relying on mainly locals going there. They could maybe run that place once or twice a year, but they're always going to be at the mercy of the climate in Jacksonville, which is probably going to be shitty most of the time.

January, or February would be a good time to go back to it. Cooler climate during that period depending on cold fronts. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AxB said:

Does anyone else feel like Kenny Omega is no longer enjoying doing his "Goodbye and Good Night" deal? Seemed like he was really into it as a Bullet Club concept, but now he's not in the Bullet Club it's an obligation he's grown to resent a little.

That could have because it was a gun violence show and Kenny didn't feel it was appropiate there.  That said, he could dump it and I don't think fans would care all that much. 

• Like 1

He wasn't that into it at DoN either though. Compare his Bid You Adieu at All In, where he was really going for it, to any of his AEW versions and you can tell he's not feeling it any more.

46 minutes ago, AxB said:

He wasn't that into it at DoN either though. Compare his Bid You Adieu at All In, where he was really going for it, to any of his AEW versions and you can tell he's not feeling it any more.

He had his nose broken in a match and was still selling getting dumped off a stack of giant sized poker chips.

Like WNBB said, maybe don't read into it so much.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

January, or February would be a good time to go back to it. Cooler climate during that period depending on cold fronts. 

It was interesting to learn on the Studcast that the Florida office didnt run in the summer, in the days before many of the buildings had AC. 

4 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I finished up Fight for the Fallen last night. I thought it was a really fun show with some exceptional wrestling featuring. That being said it was a very long show that with main show and pre show went about 4 hours and 20 minutes. 

Rob Van Dam to AEW confirmed! (Okay, that was the last one.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Oh god, the Control Center.

Wasn’t bad, I actually thought that was the best part of this “Road To”. Would’ve loved more of that. I guess we’ll see more in the coming weeks. Just needs better production on Tony’s part of the video. It sounded like it was shot in front of a green screen at Tony’s apartment.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Good video. I liked the Control Center stuff and that's something that's been missing from wrestling at least on cable. NXT does this to an extent and I like it there as well. If I were to nit pick anything, it's something about Tony's appearance. He wasn't dressed super casually, but he just kinda looked...pretty basic? I would take a cue from how dudes on the various UFC talk shows (not Ariel's show) or post-shows dress. That applies to JR as well. Those little touches can go a long way.

Spears interview was good as well, but he's the very definition of a good hand. He had a very, very small window where he looked like a star and that was right about when he debuted in the Royal Rumble. Even then, his gear made him look like a geek. I always thought his NXT and WWE gear with the gigantic collar looked silly. Anyway, that window closed and I just don't know how much they're going to get out of him. Plus, the situation they've put themselves in is one where I think Cody has to lose so I really hope they wind up successful in getting Spears over.

For those wondering, Meltzer said Kylie Rae's sudden disappearance from social media and pulling out of bookings (and being replaced at Fyter Fest by Allie) are all because of a "medical issue, it's been kept quiet and she'll be back soon".

• Like 2