DVDVR Message Board

2018-19 NHL: Period One

Dolfan in NYC

Another win for Detroit!  From 1-7-2 to 12-11-3 and playing like a real team most nights.  Amazing.  Fun game tonight in Boston.  One fight (gotta answer for clean hits, don't you know) and one big scrum that nearly included a goalie fight.  That featured the usual Brad Marchand stuff of stick swinging (he swung at Tyler Bertuzzi and then slashed Jimmy Howard who was on his way to the bench because a penalty was being called) and then hiding behind the refs.  Unfortunately, the refs broke up the goalie fight that we almost got.  Darn.  First win in Boston in 5 years for Detroit.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:39 PM, odessasteps said:

Higher AAV than I expected. Still wonder how they can fit everyone under the cap once Matthews & Marner sign. 

Probably will ice 4 minimum wage defensemen and 2 lines of nobodies.  That 4.5 a year they are giving Zaitsev will be the gift that keeps on giving.  And no doubt they will be begging someone to take Kadri off of their hands

How bad does the Barclays Center suck? Every single fan is overjoyed about playing in a building where almost all the suites have been boarded up and blocked because they are filled with so much asbestos they are a health hazard.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And Seattle has officially been awarded a franchise

Wysh on Twitter with a great idea: if the team is named the Metropolitans change the name of the Metro division to the Patrick Division. I'll add change the name of the Atlantic to the Adams, award Hartford and Quebec teams and put them in the division and make everyone in hockey so insanely happy they start glowing.

Fun game in Detroit as the Wings continued their "We will never beat Tampa again no matter what" tour. Two different 2 goal leads thrown away, no defense played... ugh. Game-tying goal came on a power play with 5 minutes left as Detroit went with four forwards for no apparent reason. Dumb turnover and some horrible defensive coverage later and the game was tied. Ugh. 

One of the more baffling moments featured AA getting pulled down on basically a breakaway and... getting called for diving. WTF. 

Still, I love high scoring games. Bring them on! 

The big takeaway from last night: it looks like we are officially no longer a punching bag. Playing our 5th game in 8 days, playing all 3 teams in the league above us in that stretch, having played in Nashville 24 hours earlier and missing half our defense we outplayed the Leafs and really deserved to win. The point was an acceptable result because we really aren't competing with Tampa or Toronto but with Boston and Montreal for a playoff spot. If we go NHL 500 the rest of the way we probably make it.

1) Giving up a 2 goal lead
2) Giving up a game-tying goal in the last minute
3) taking a penalty in overtime so you spend it 3 against 4
4) and somehow not losing the game until the shoot out

I think this counts as great game for the Blues. Good job, boys!

• Haha 1

Oilers looked so bad in that first period it's hard to describe in believable language. Shots said 14-5 and that honestly felt kinda generous. Was nice to see a real push back in the 2nd and 3rd, but man, I haven't seen St. Louis much this year. That sure isn't the Blues team of the past where once you were down it was just a vice grip until time expired.

13 hours ago, piranesi said:

1) Giving up a 2 goal lead
2) Giving up a game-tying goal in the last minute
3) taking a penalty in overtime so you spend it 3 against 4
4) and somehow not losing the game until the shoot out

I think this counts as great game for the Blues. Good job, boys!

At this point you should just be wanting the team to implode so you keep your pick in one of the greatest drafts ever and give us your 2020 pick where the draft is projected to be 2012 level toilet water and we end up with someone who tops out as an AHL 3rd liner.

49 minutes ago, Infinit said:

We almost stole one from you guys @Tabe. When I started watching we were down 4-1 and I had no doubt we could come back. Gonna be fun watching this Leaf team with all hands on deck!

When you guys come back to Buffalo in March there will be at least one more Sabres fan in attendance: Me!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Infinit said:

We almost stole one from you guys @Tabe. When I started watching we were down 4-1 and I had no doubt we could come back. Gonna be fun watching this Leaf team with all hands on deck!

What a game! Detroit played their best 40 of the season - with four starters out! - to go up 4-1 and then just hung on for dear life to get to OT. Detroit nearly ended it in the last 10 seconds with a shot that hit BOTH posts. Then an awesome breakaway from Dylan Larkin to snag the win. 

Detroit is a lot of fun to watch right now. 3+ goals in 15 of their last 19 games. I love it! 

So we are basically a one line team (Eichel line) and desperately need a real #2 center (putting Sam in that slot and filling his slot on the top line with Pominville (where Jack is so good he makes him a usefull player) would obviously make way too much goddamned sense and won't be tried). The sound you hear is me banging my head into a wall until I lose consciousness.

Red Wings throw away another win, giving up a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 to the Islanders. Expect Niklas Kronwall to get a phone call from the league for a big hit on Anders Lee. Not a dirty hit per se but a shoulder directly into the face of Lee (who was bent over). No penalty on the play.  I'm off mixed emotions on it - I feel like players have a responsibility to keep their heads up but it was definitely a shoulder to the face. 

Detroit now leads the league in fighting majors. Dylan Larkin fought last night to defend Kronwall after Kronwall got slew-footed in what WAS a dirty play as retaliation for his hit on Lee. The story there is that Larkin felt like he had a duty to fight someone earlier this year and didn't and felt like he'd let the team down. He'll be the next captain (Detroit doesn't have one now) but literally no one wants him fighting,