DVDVR Message Board

2018-19 NHL: Period One

Dolfan in NYC

For the love of God, please fire Jeff Blashill.

Detroit's offensive system:

1) Am I wide open?  Sweet, I'll hang onto the puck until there's a guy in front of me, then shoot so it gets blocked.

2) I'm on a 2-on-1 and I'm wide open by my teammates is covered?  I'll pass to him so it gets broken up and we don't get a shot.

3) I'm wide open and have no one to pass to?  I'll shoot 3 feet wide of the net.

4) Could I possibly get to a rebound or score by going to the front of the net and being gritty or resilient?  Sweet, I'll skate around the perimeter instead.

5) Is there less than 45 seconds left and we're trailing?  Sweet, I'll just fart around and pass the puck instead of shooting even when wide open.

Man it's painful to watch.

I remember a lot of smart hockey people hyping Blashill up prior to his promotion. What do you think he was able to do so well in the AHL but can't in the NHL? And how much of it is due to Detroit's dreadful team on paper? 

18 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I remember a lot of smart hockey people hyping Blashill up prior to his promotion. What do you think he was able to do so well in the AHL but can't in the NHL? And how much of it is due to Detroit's dreadful team on paper? 

I think he had a lot of AAAA-level players. Guys who can score in the AHL but are lost in the big leagues. Teemu Pulkinnen is a great example. Detroit is definitely lacking in talent in certain areas. However, they also don't hold guys accountable for lazy play. Anthony Mantha should be scoring 35 goals but instead drifts and never plays defense. Blashill just lets it go. Lots of others do the same thing. You add that into a defense core that is terrified to be physical and an offensive system that makes no sense and you get 1-7-2.

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

In better Red Wings times...

When those guys were on their game, they were playing a different sport than everybody else. For fun, watch the highlights of Detroit ending Roy's Montreal career. The puck control and skill on display were unreal. 

And Elias Pettersson is actually surpassing the hype built around him somehow. Between Boeser, Bo, and Pettersson, the Canucks may be able to fast track their rebuild pretty quickly. I'm okay with the defence/goaltending being a tire fire because it means the team will be fun to watch and lose a lot. They've got Juolevi doing well in Utica and Quinn Hughes in the pipeline. Oh and Jake Virtanen is starting to at least resemble the player he was supposed to be. I like it. I like it a lot.

Rasmus Ristolinan is AIDS on skates. In the past decade has there ever been a top pairing defenseman who was as big a pile of total worthless suck as him? I can't think of any. He is good for at least half a dozen spectacular defensive fuck ups every game.

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Chicago has fired Joel Quenneville.  

Probably for having the most French-Canadian name in human history. 

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Detroit either.

42 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Sabre, why are your fellow Sabres fans so god damn crazy, being convinced trading O'Reilly was a good idea? Cause jesus christ he the only thing keeping the Blues potentiallyin the playoff race.

We would be maybe 1-12 without him.

2 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Sabre, why are your fellow Sabres fans so god damn crazy, being convinced trading O'Reilly was a good idea? Cause jesus christ he the only thing keeping the Blues potentiallyin the playoff race.

Only some of the lunatics on HF think that. The vast majority of us realizes this is the type of trade that was so fucking horrible it should cost the GM his job. And I am not joking when I say we are keeping Tage (who has no fucking business being in the NHL) on the roster because we think it is better for his development to practice with the varsity and watch video than play in Rochester. Phil and Botts both said this. This is something so insane and ridiculous I thought it could only have happened with the Garth Snow Islanders. Just kill me.

Lou Lams in an interview on SportsNet said groundbreaking on the Belmont arena will take place early next year. Lou has experience with these types of things so if he says groundbreaking is going to take place early next year that's exactly what's going to happen. So the dozen or so nutfudges opposing the arena being propped up behind the scenes by Yormark and Barclays couldn't stop it. I'm shocked.