DVDVR Message Board

A General RIP Thread

RIPPA

Adrian Joseph Cronauer, the U.S. war veteran portrayed by Robin Williams in the 1987 hit movie Good Morning, Vietnam, died on Wednesday aged 79, an obituary has confirmed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/adrian-joseph-cronauer-dj-robin-williams-played-in-good-morning-vietnam-dies/ar-AAAilV8?li=BBnbfcL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John McCain served this country in the Navy, was a prisoner of war, and spent decades as a congressman and senator. I did not agree with his politics, but I wouldn't wish brain cancer on anyone. RIP

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I didn't agree with most of his politics either. But then again, neither, it seems, did half of his party. I would never have voted for him to be President, but he would have been very, very far from the worst of them. And I don't know if 1 in 10,000 of us would have endured what he did in Vietnam, to the point of refusing to be sent home in order to avoid being a propaganda tool and breaking faith with his fellow POWs. Rare stuff, indeed. Saw this on Huffpost and thought it was a good way to remember a genuine hero.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-mccain-stories_us_5b82ac96e4b0348586015e56

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Execproducer said:

I didn't agree with most of his politics either. But then again, neither, it seems, did half of his party. I would never have voted for him to be President, but he would have been very, very far from the worst of them. And I don't know if 1 in 10,000 of us would have endured what he did in Vietnam, to the point of refusing to be sent home in order to avoid being a propaganda tool and breaking faith with his fellow POWs. Rare stuff, indeed. Saw this on Huffpost and thought it was a good way to remember a genuine hero.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-mccain-stories_us_5b82ac96e4b0348586015e56

That first story from the guy who worked for Ted Kennedy was great. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

DmVb0amXoAAF27i.jpg

R.I.P. Rachael Bland, a BBC news reader and presenter in the UK. Rachael was only 40, married and has a two year old boy. I've listened to her for years. Rachael wrapped birthday presents for her son as he grows up. Cancer is such a horrible bastard. Thoughts are with Rachael's family and friends xxx

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, The Natural said:

R.I.P. Rachael Bland, a BBC news reader and presenter in the UK. Rachael was only 40, married and has a two year old boy. I've listened to her for years. Rachael wrapped birthday presents for her son as he grows up. Cancer is such a horrible bastard. Thoughts are with Rachael's family and friends xxx

That made me stop in my tracks.  Holy shit I can't even think what that will be like for his subsequent birthdays but that is just really, really sad

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That made me stop in my tracks.  Holy shit I can't even think what that will be like for his subsequent birthdays but that is just really, really sad

Yeah, that about the birthday presents got me choked up and again as I type this. Desperately sad.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Whitey Bulger was killed this morning in prison.  He was 89.

Good. 

Golly, gee whiz... You write a book and have a couple of films done about all the people that you so cheerfully fucked over and the street remembers. Fancy that. Seems to me that there's a Southie rule about that sort of thing...  "Snitches get something... Help me out here, it's something that rhymes with "snitches", another noun, perhaps... It's right on the tip of my tongue, but I can't quite recall it...

Anyway, everyone on the list of "Embarrassments to the Irish People" gets to move up one spot. Conor, how's it feel to be in 1st place of something with no controversy involved? 

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Whitey Bulger was killed this morning in prison.  He was 89.

Good. 

What Craig said.  

The alleged rat bastard finally got his then, eh?

• Like 1

Apparently he had both of his eyes gouged out and was then clubbed to death with a padlock in a sock. That must have taken a while, to fatally injure someone with a weapon like that.