DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

40 minutes ago, RIShane said:

And while it was kind of WWE to give him a promo-heavy feud that required little wrestling, they couldn't have given him a crappier one.

Yeah, feel for Zayn getting stuck with shit material on the stick. Shitty end of the stick if you we'lll.

• Like 1

WWECW Christian was somebody who made all his signature spots make sense in the context of the match he was working.

Sucks for Sami but he was dead on RAW anyway. He can come back as face or heel in 2019, and jump to Smackdown in the draft. He might be considered injury prone but I think he has a ceiling anyway. Wish him luck with his ops and rehab.

13 minutes ago, ComingToAmerica said:

WWECW Christian

That show was so good in those days. I should go back and rewatch the 2008-09 eps and see how it holds up. One hour time-frame kept things moving, and we got some terrific matches. Christian, Finlay, Swagger and others (Matt H, Mark H?), going on PPV and stealing the shows. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Generally agree with your point, but do not understand or agree with laying blame at Austin's feet. He's clearly not in a position to influence WWE match layouts and is one of the highest-profile critics of current WWE product.

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard him criticize the “get your shit in” mentality on his podcast as well.

29 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Without it, Brian Cage would have no career! It's half his gimmick! Mr. GMSI.

And all this time I thought “GMSI” was some kind of steroid that he thought he’d use in his ring name to sound tongue-in-cheek.

• Like 1

And the penny drops.  The final straw for C**s being fired apparently was an ugly incident with Carmella:

He went up to Carmella and, according to a well-placed source, caused a scene while asking her to forgive him, apparently in hopes for a reconciliation. Carmella tried to walk off but he grabbed her arm and wrestlers in the area stepped in. We’re told that The Usos and Erick Rowan were the ones to get Cass to back away.

Well, once word got back to management, the call was made to fire him. Vince McMahon called Cass into a room and broke the news to him hours before Smackdown Live in Toledo. This recent incident would also explain why he was not wished well in his future endeavors when WWE.com announced his release.

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/exclusive-incident-with-carmella-was-the-main-reason-why-big-cass-was-released-by-wwe/

On 6/21/2018 at 2:34 AM, Wyld Samurai said:

So.the WWE Network went random on me and threw on a replay of TakeOver Chicago... But with the Spanish commentary. 

Spanish Commentary is soooooooo much better.

This is why NBC Universo rules. If you missed anything you get the replays minus Cole And The Gang. 

What was the deal with Carmella (as in, what was their prior beef)? When both of your former teammates dislike you (and one is a verified, bonafide piece of shit) you must really, really be an asshole.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What was the deal with Carmella? When both of your former teammates dislike you (and one is a verified, bonafide piece of shit) you must really, really be an asshole.

Does she have a reputation for being unlikable? She seems like a sweetheart in the few non-kayfabe videos I have seen of her. Maybe there was some basis in truth for the joke way back on their NXT videos about how she wouldn't fuck Enzo? 

Also, I have been meaning to watch a PPV with Spanish or Japanese commentary. 

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What was the deal with Carmella (as in, what was their prior beef)? When both of your former teammates dislike you (and one is a verified, bonafide piece of shit) you must really, really be an asshole.

Carmella and Cass used to date.  She dumped him.  

That's all the background you need for the story above. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

We’re told that The Usos and Erick Rowan were the ones to get Cass to back away.

And probably piss himself, too.  I would not want those three mad at me at the same time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

On a happy note from such an ugly story, I am pleased to see it was the Usos who jumped in to protect Mella.

They seem like good dudes, and such an action is consistent with how I imagine them to be. 

Am I a horrible person for wishing that Big Cass got into an actual fight with Jimmy or Jay? I'm from Seattle which has a fairly large Samoan population and I've seen these guys fight before, it isn't pretty for whoever is on the receiving end.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I don't get Lawler. Sure he can "work" the crowd without doing much. But if I wanna see a "no bumps given no bumps taken brother" match i'll watch Jimmy Valiant.

Lawler is boring to me, that could also be because i'm the generation that came under the ashes of ECW and the Attitude Era so i'm conditioned to a faster style.

Memphis is also my least favorite style of wrestling. I'd take Mid South and Crockett over Memphis any day of the week when it comes to 80's wrestling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Am I a horrible person for wishing that Big Cass got into an actual fight with Jimmy or Jay? I'm from Seattle which has a fairly large Samoan population and I've seen these guys fight before, it isn't pretty for whoever is on the receiving end.

In my experience, you also have to be a real bastard to get a Samoan dude pissed off at you. Some of the most laid back dudes I've ever had the pleasure of knowing are Samoans. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

I don't get Lawler. Sure he can "work" the crowd without doing much. But if I wanna see a "no bumps given no bumps taken brother" match i'll watch Jimmy Valiant.

Lawler is boring to me, that could also be because i'm the generation that came under the ashes of ECW and the Attitude Era so i'm conditioned to a faster style.

Memphis is also my least favorite style of wrestling. I'd take Mid South and Crockett over Memphis any day of the week when it comes to 80's wrestling.

Kinda with you on this, partly because of all the other stuff you can’t unknow when watching Lawler, and partly because I have a weird aversion to punch-based pro wrestling in general. It’s my deepest held (yet silly and pedantic) wrestling opinion, really: punches are illegal, and should be treated like desperation moves, high spots, or saved for matches where the rules allow and build justifies a brawl. Certainly Lawler and Memphis has their  share of the latter, which mostly work for me, but as a foundation for every match it’s my least favorite template.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Carmella and Cass used to date.  She dumped him.  

That's all the background you need for the story above. 

One of the accounts that went around was that Cass told Mella he had no interest in getting married. Mella wasn't having it. 

40 minutes ago, just drew said:

One of the accounts that went around was that Cass told Mella he had no interest in getting married. Mella wasn't having it. 

Cass is a fucking idiot. Who wouldn't want to marry Carmella?

• Like 2