DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

I like Smith.  There is probably nobody else in his generation with as much pure, natural charisma.

I like Foxx.  I think he's a better actor, overall, but he's much more understated low key, and he definitely does not have the same presence.  He's also very prone to phoning it in for a paycheck when he gets a bad script.

I love Leo, but I don't think I'd have him higher than 4th in terms of performance in Django.  Waltz eats him alive.  Jackson gives his best performance in years.  And Foxx is so brilliant at showing that restrained rage.  Really, though, the acting in that movie was just off the fucking charts great.  Except that Aussie dude.  ;)

No. Just no. Sam is a great shout, but Foxx is dogshit as always.

Waltz was unbelievable in Django but I feel is even better in Inglourious Basterds. Shame he's 57. Amazing actor.

In a movie where Sam Jackson was reminding everyone that he is a great actor, Waltz nevertheless made it clear he had replaced Jackson as the actor best suited to QT's style.  It's mesmerizing.

And god that first scene in Basterds. 

• Like 1

Is that really a win?

Yes.

And even if you somehow don't think it is, we have Robocop.

Robocop is the infinitely better answer. Another good pick (though not nearly as good as Robocop) would be Grosse Pointe Blank.

For TV, you have Freaks and Geeks.

Trust me, I wasn't throwing shade at Michigan. Just American Pie, because....ugh....

Tarantino does have this tendency to get great performances out of people. Uma Thurman is an average talent at best, but she's amazing in Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction.

Not to mention single handily reviving Travolta's career.

Tarantino does have this tendency to get great performances out of people. Uma Thurman is an average talent at best, but she's amazing in Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction.

Foxx's career between Ray and Django Unchained ain't exactly anything to brag about.

He also made Darryl Hannah seem like one of the best villains ever in Kill Bill, and you can count on one hand the amount of times she's been decent in a role. 

It was Look Who's Talking that did that. Tarentino got him some acting cred back but the career was revived by frigging talking babies.

Saw Saving Mr. Banks tonight. Very good movie. Nothing great but a good story told well. Tom Hanks does a good job as Walt Disney. Emma Thompson is fine as PL Travers. For those not familiar, the movie is the story of the making of Mary Poppins. It was a difficult process thanks to Travers' huge attachment to the characters she created. Thankfully, her difficult personality led to all the scripting sessions being tale recorded so a full record of them remains. Anyway, good movie. 8/10.

It was Look Who's Talking that did that. Tarentino got him some acting cred back but the career was revived by frigging talking babies.

Interestingly, I remember reading at the time that while it made a ton of money, people in Hollywood still refused to take his comeback seriously. Probably because of the whole "talking babies" thing.

Back to BLACKFISH: THE BRYNDEN TULLY STORY for a minute...

That trainer who survived being dragged to the bottom multiple times (think his name was Peters) was a boss. A stone cold boss. Ice water in his veins.

Y'know what really surprised me in Blackfish?  I always thought folks that worked with the animals in those shows (and at the park taking care of the animals) were like some uber-educated marine biologists or something.  While they didn't specifically address this in the film, it was pretty clear that wasn't the case... seems more often than not these were just folks that randomly ended up in a show with killer whales. 

I was interested in seeing Wolf of Wall Street, but hearing it's basically three hours talking about how great a time was had by a guy who helped fuck up the world's economy is a real turn off. I mean, I'm not asking for strong moral judgements in every movie I see, but come on.

And you can't tell me Smith is the problem with WWW (a movie I love) or whatever other nonsense opinions you have.

Fucking hilarious. And for shits and giggles, here's a list of watchable movies Jamie Foxx has a sizable role and does a good job in:

Ray

Jarhead

Collateral

Any Given Sunday

Miami Vice

The Kingdom

Law Abiding Citizen

Django Unchained

Of those, he's acting his ass off in Ray, Jarhead, Collateral, and Django.

I can't comment on The Kingdom or even White House Down because I haven't seen either, but I heard The Kingdom is boring and WHD is dumb, goofy fun.

I think I wrote something about Law Abiding Citizen to the extent of "Jamie Foxx's performance is the very definition of collecting a paycheck."

Terrible Movie.

I'm with you on some of the other ones. I probably need to watch both again, but I am in the minority that finds Collateral to be a superior film over Heat. I actually enjoyed The Kingdom, but I can tolerate Peter Berg films thanks to Friday Night Lights.

Foxx is really good in The Soloist as well, which was another role that he had to completely embody his character.