DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Got roped into seeing The Secret Life of Walter Mitty this afternoon. Holy cow, this was so much better than expected. It had some nice funny moments and was generally just a nice entertaining movie. 7/10.

So I'm watching Django Unchained again, for the first time since I saw it in the theater. I totally forgot about it until now, but man, this is one of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen. Just some really great photography throughout. There's a scene early on where Django confronts the Schaffers/Brittles and the Brittle that was also in Lost has his whip that he's cracking underneath a weeping willow tree that's blowing in the wind. Just little shit like that sprinkled in throughout the movie.

So I'm watching Django Unchained again, for the first time since I saw it in the theater. I totally forgot about it until now, but man, this is one of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen. Just some really great photography throughout. There's a scene early on where Django confronts the Schaffers/Brittles and the Brittle that was also in Lost has his whip that he's cracking underneath a weeping willow tree that's blowing in the wind. Just little shit like that sprinkled in throughout the movie.r

Credit three time Oscar winning DP Robert Richardson for that. Probably should have won another one for Django Unchained.

Additional thought about Django Unchained: I'm happy Will Smith was dumb enough to pass on this so Jamie Foxx could take the part.

Yeah because that was a huge fucking upgrade. Jesus. Will Smith would have owned this movie. Jamie Foxx is one of the worst actors in Hollywood.

Yeah, he really owned After Earth instead.

Additional thought about Django Unchained: I'm happy Will Smith was dumb enough to pass on this so Jamie Foxx could take the part.

Yeah because that was a huge fucking upgrade. Jesus. Will Smith would have owned this movie. Jamie Foxx is one of the worst actors in Hollywood.

You want to use Will Smith's only shit movie to compare with Jamie fucking Foxx?

He turned it down and went to work on After Earth instead. It also isn't his only shit film. Seven Pounds, Hitch, Bagger Vance, Wild Wild West, and MiB 2 are all pretty awful. Then you have shit like Ali, which is boring, Hancock, which is bad, and I Am Legend, which has an incredibly stupid ending to go along with it's rote plot.

Speaking of beautiful cinematography I just watched Prisoners. It was very good. It's at least better than Rush (which I did like quite a bit..) so I can safely say that this probably deserved to be nominated at the Golden Globes.

Now, I don't want to spoil anything so I will just say that Hugh Jackman's performance was great with his range of emotions and for me, it's difficult to find fault with anything his character did.. but that's one of the things we are obviously supposed to discuss.

As good as Jackman was..  Jake Gyllenhaal may have been even better. Holy shit was he great in this.

I never felt the film veered off into "that would have never happened!". It was raw and realistic throughout. Everything the characters did made sense.

You want to use Will Smith's only shit movie to compare with Jamie fucking Foxx?

"Wild, Wild West", "I, Robot", Hitch", "I Am Legend" and "Hancock" want to say Hi!

The twist in Hancock ruined what was a serviceable/boring movie. I, Robot I actually like quite a bit. MiB 3 I like quite a bit as well. It's a little overly sentimental, but I thought it was pretty good. As good as the first and way better than the second.

WWW though, wow, that's a pretty horrible movie. It's even worse after hearing Kevin Smith talk about his time meeting with Jon Peters and seeing Peters' coke fueled ideas pop up in WWW.

And I Am Legend fulfills the "if it's on TV I probably won't change the channel and it's ok enough to leave on in the background" role. It's not a very good movie, the entire premise is thrown out the window midway through, and he could have left with the woman and her kid, but chooses to blow himself up instead. FFS, he could have still pulled the pin on the grenade, left it there, and still dashed out with the woman and her kid. Same effect and now humanity has a better chance of winning the war because they have the most brilliant scientist in the world with them.

Those first few scenes of Hancock promise a really great movie that never surfaces.  A surly, alcoholic, total fuck-up with Superman powers who tries to do the right thing?  Yeah, I want to see that.

20 minutes in, and they are doing stupid stuff like cleaning him up and shit and the rest of the movie ranges from dull to awful.

I should clarify: WWW is also up there with the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. MiB2 was just simply bad. MiB3 was also borderline very good until

Kay adopted Jay

Terrible ending.

I'd go so far as to say the first MiB is a future classic, neither of the sequels touches it. I mean, come on.

Marbles~!

I should clarify: WWW is also up there with the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. MiB2 was just simply bad. MiB3 was also borderline very good until

Kay adopted Jay

Terrible ending.

I'd go so far as to say the first MiB is a future classic, neither of the sequels touches it. I mean, come on.

Marbles~!

Oh shit, I totally forgot about the thing in your first spoiler, maybe because I blocked it from memory. I may have to reconsider how I feel about MiB3.