DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Just watched Rudy. It's pretty dull to begin with, they take forever getting to Notre Dame. And the one overlying theme appears to be how far up it's own ass Notre Dame as an institution is. But they payoff was good I guess, with the faceless, nameless other players who are barely given a line suddenly lining up behind the little guy.

Just watched Rudy. It's pretty dull to begin with, they take forever getting to Notre Dame. And the one overlying theme appears to be how far up it's own ass Notre Dame as an institution is. But they payoff was good I guess, with the faceless, nameless other players who are barely given a line suddenly lining up behind the little guy.

Well the movie wasn't about them and they should be nameless and faceless while Rudy is set apart. Maybe the only other player who should have had a line was Joe Montana, but then that shifts the focus onto Montana. In any event, Rudy being carried off when no one else was or has since breaks big ND traditions and rules about the importance of the team, as opposed to the player. This is a big reason why ND players don't wear names on their jerseys, unless it's for a bowl game. All of this shows the impact Rudy had for being carried off and having the spotlight placed on him when it's always about the team as a whole.

Well the movie wasn't about them and they should be nameless and faceless while Rudy is set apart. Maybe the only other player who should have had a line was Joe Montana, but then that shifts the focus onto Montana. In any event, Rudy being carried off when no one else was or has since breaks big ND traditions and rules about the importance of the team, as opposed to the player. This is a big reason why ND players don't wear names on their jerseys, unless it's for a bowl game. All of this shows the impact Rudy had for being carried off and having the spotlight placed on him when it's always about the team as a whole.

I guess, I just think it would have been a bit more powerful if these guys had been in the movie at all prior to that. It's almost backwards in the sense that the story sets up a bunch of people early who all fade out, and then at the end when the "yeah Rudy you did it" stuff happens, there's a bunch of nobodies that never really meant anything to the story at that moment. Favreau and "Vincent Vaughn" are the only guys that have any priors with Rudy.

Yeah, I see your point, which is why I guess Charles Dutton is there at the end as well. I always saw the football team as this machine while Rudy is the spring bouncing around inside of it.

If you want to see a sports movie where the team has more of a focus, you should watch Hoosiers. Same director, but reading your comments, it should give you what you're looking for.

Yeah, I see your point, which is why I guess Charles Dutton is there at the end as well. I always saw the football team as this machine while Rudy is the spring bouncing around inside of it.

If you want to see a sports movie where the team has more of a focus, you should watch Hoosiers. Same director, but reading your comments, it should give you what you're looking for.

There don't appear to be many about Michigan sports teams. It's quite disconcerting.

So I get to take Annie Hall out of my Hall of Shame list after today. It actually made me angry to realize the billions of movies I've seen that are aping this movie so blatantly and, now in retrospect, very poorly. It's not my favorite Woody Allen so far, but I it does carry some funny insights that still ring true today, which makes it worth the time.

• Like 1

Are there any movie nerd sites that have tried to do a power ranking of every Tarantino film character ever? I'd be keen to look at such a thing, even though I like the time, effort and motivation to watch Jamie Foxx "act" in "Django Unchained" to do one myself.

You know I can kinda understand turning down The Matrix since it probably did sound too weird/complicated on paper, but Smith turning down Django Unchained because he didn't think Django was the true hero of the movie was so frigging stupid. Up there with After Earth in terms of horrendous decisions.

You know I can kinda understand turning down The Matrix since it probably did sound too weird/complicated on paper, but Smith turning down Django Unchained because he didn't think Django was the true hero of the movie was so frigging stupid. Up there with After Earth in terms of horrendous decisions.

Django was buried 40 ft deep by Leo and Waltz. Sir Will probably didn't feel like getting upstaged.

• Like 1

All the JFK 50th anniversary stuff led to me to getting the special edition JFK. Not getting into THAT discussion again, but Oliver Stone's commentary is fascinating. Guy is legit obsessed. There is something strangely addictive about the whole "Who Shot JFK?" thing which is why it's lasted longer than any other conspiracy and still gets talked about.  Even the people who insist there wasn't a conspiracy, like Vincent Bugliosi, are still completely obsessed (Bugliosi spent 20 years writing a book about it.)

There could really be a Room 237 type movie about this. Just get everyone in a room together and hear their theories.

Also, this movie is probably the best Kevin Costner's ever been.

I like Smith.  There is probably nobody else in his generation with as much pure, natural charisma.

I like Foxx.  I think he's a better actor, overall, but he's much more understated low key, and he definitely does not have the same presence.  He's also very prone to phoning it in for a paycheck when he gets a bad script.

I love Leo, but I don't think I'd have him higher than 4th in terms of performance in Django.  Waltz eats him alive.  Jackson gives his best performance in years.  And Foxx is so brilliant at showing that restrained rage.  Really, though, the acting in that movie was just off the fucking charts great.  Except that Aussie dude.  ;)