DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Speaking of Pam Grier, guess who just rewatched Jackie Brown tonight for the first time since it came out?

are you going to guess? It was me. You weren't going to get it anyway.

The scene between Pam Grier and Sam Jackson where he's turning the lights off and she turns them on is the best part of the movie. Quentin kind of stuck in his time warp stuff, when it wasn't really necessary early on, and it felt too much like hand holding. But it's a far superior film to Inglorious and Django. DeNiro is kind of an unsung supporting guy... at first he looks like he doesn't know what the fuck he's even doing in this movie, then it becomes clear that he has no idea what he's doing period. There was a look he gave Bridgette Fonda in the clothing store that was ice cold deadly, though. But Pam Grier OWNS with some king sized deliveries and facial expressions. Just point the camera at her and it'll work.

• Like 1

Speaking of Pam Grier, guess who just rewatched Jackie Brown tonight for the first time since it came out?

The scene between Pam Grier and Sam Jackson where he's turning the lights off and she turns them on is the best part of the movie. Quentin kind of stuck in his time warp stuff, when it wasn't really necessary early on, and it felt too much like hand holding. But it's a far superior film to Dogs, Fiction, Bill, Death Proof, Inglorious and Django. DeNiro is kind of an unsung supporting guy... at first he looks like he doesn't know what the fuck he's even doing in this movie, then it becomes clear that he has no idea what he's doing period. There was a look he gave Bridgette Fonda in the clothing store that was ice cold deadly, though. But Pam Grier OWNS with some king sized deliveries and facial expressions. Just point the camera at her and it'll work.

FTFY

• Like 1

The scene between Pam Grier and Sam Jackson where he's turning the lights off and she turns them on is the best part of the movie. Quentin kind of stuck in his time warp stuff, when it wasn't really necessary early on, and it felt too much like hand holding. But it's a far superior film to Inglorious and Django. DeNiro is kind of an unsung supporting guy... at first he looks like he doesn't know what the fuck he's even doing in this movie, then it becomes clear that he has no idea what he's doing period. There was a look he gave Bridgette Fonda in the clothing store that was ice cold deadly, though. But Pam Grier OWNS with some king sized deliveries and facial expressions. Just point the camera at her and it'll work.

This x1000. Jackie Brown had the right mix of elements and that's why it's the best Tarantino movie (written and/or directed). His recent stuff needs to have fucking citations during the end credits to fully enjoy everything.

The scene where Ordell kills Beaumont and then shows Louis the body in the next is possibly the best 1-2 scene combo I've seen. If it's not, it is definitely in the top three. Fuck, three scene combo if you count Ordell trying to get Beaumont to "help" sell the guns to the "KOI-REE-AHNS".

Jackie Brown also didn't feel like it was four days long either. I fucking REFUSE to watch four hour television edited Pulp Fiction on Bravo on a Saturday afternoon.

To borrow from Mark Kermode, Jackie Brown is the only Tarantino movie that doesn't feel like his usual fanboy filmmaking.

I don't know, I mean, it's still clearly got his blaxploitation fanboyism, and some Elmore Leonard fanboyism to it. 

But it's more restrained and focused.

(This, by the way, isn't me hating the other films.  He's done nothing I don't at least like, and quite a few I love.  But Jackie Brown is on a different level, and I'd love to see him be more low key again at some point in his career.)

• Like 1

Forster is such a strange anomaly because he seems so white bread innocent, and yet he works in an industry that should have killed that out of him long ago. So it must be a defense mechanism. And when he really tries to reach out to one of these people, for perhaps the first time in his life, it ends in murder. That moment when he's looking down at Sam Jackson, you know it was over and he and Jackie weren't running off together into the Tequila Sunset. A line was crossed for him, and he had to keep that cosmic balance.

The theme of age and growing too old, is good unifier among characters, the line "What the fuck happened to you, man? Shit, your ass used to be beautiful!" may be one of the most honest lines in the entire Tarantino's oeuvre.  On the one level it's a beautifully delivered line from Sam Jackson, who discards his machismo for his character's only moment of true reflection and vulnerability. On another it's Tarantino looking back at all of his heroes and icons, manifested by this aging, bumbling Robert Deniro, and he's screaming "What the fuck happened to this industry?" He went from being a rebel-rouser with his Band Apart compatriots, he got successful and tried to become kind of  American Proto French New Wave. Then he realized he was in the machine, and that if he was going to be another gear he was just going to make his pastiche films. 

I think it's an maybe the most important film in his filmography because after this moment his influences became less like homages, like the camera angles in Reservoir Dogs, or the references in Pulp Fiction, and more like suits of garish armor. It's his way of dealing with big issues - Holocaust and Slavery, while being able to go "It's just a movie you guys look at all the silliness and blood."

That doesn't mean it's my favorite to watch, I'd rather watch Reservoir/Pulp/Kill Bill instead - but it's maybe him at his most vulnerable and it may be the last time for a while. 

• Like 4

I think it's an maybe the most important film in his filmography because after this moment his influences became less like homages, like the camera angles in Reservoir Dogs, or the references in Pulp Fiction, and more like suits of garish armor. It's his way of dealing with big issues - Holocaust and Slavery, while being able to go "It's just a movie you guys look at all the silliness and blood."

Also:

"I saw Mandingo and Boss N***** growing up and you guys should go wiki that shit when you leave the theater. Seriously."

I say it every time it comes up - Tarrantino's best film. Easily,

Is it just me or does Home Alone get even more disturbing every time you watch it?

-The emotional abuse towards Kevin at the start, which is genuinely pretty uncomfortable.

-The parents negligently leaving the kid behind.

-The dad, upon finding out that his young son is all by himself, remains hilariously relaxed about the whole thing.

-Kevin turning into such a sociopath by the end, you end up feeling a bit for Marv and Harry (yeah, they were robbers but they weren't actively trying to hurt anyone).

-Child services and the cops letting the parents get off scot-free, probably because they're white, rich and privileged (nothing happens to them in the sequel when the exact same thing happens either.)

• Like 3

Everyone in the movie is a creep. Except for Daniel Stern, whose name I could not initially remember and refused to google it. 

Everyone knows when dealing with a bunch of kids you secure the littlest ones and move up. Not have your idiot teenagers do a half assed job counting heads. 

I probably would have went off on Kevin for pitching a giant fit over a fucking cheese pizza, instead of a pizza a human might want. 

After reading everything I could about Heaven's Gate and decided to try and watch it last night. Netflix has the 219 minute cut up. I'm 90 minutes in and so far the only thing that has happened is Kristofferson slapping the fuck out of Sam Waterston. Otherwise I'm bored to tears. I'll finish it up tonight and hope it picks up. I will say some of the visuals are just beautiful.

James

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Jackie Brown

That's my top three and I'm sticking to it!  It's weird. If I was flipping through the channels I would be more likely to stop on the first two, but if a friend hasn't seen Jackie Brown I would be more likely to show it to them.  It really puts the rest of Tarantino's work in a whole different light. 

Yeah, you know not of kids pizza tastes.

Yeah Yeah, I have had this out with my nephews. Going all the way back to the brawls over not wanting sausage on their pizza, yet happily eating sausage biscuits. 

But for gods sake who the fuck wants a cheese pizza. Should have refused to order it in the first place. 

They should just get cheesy bread with pizza sauce. In the families I grew up around, if you didn't put at least a pepperoni on it, you were out of the fucking pizza discussion.

• Like 4

The first scene of Inglorious Basterds is probably the best single thing he's ever done, but I think the rest of the movie is "merely" good, and not great.

It's uneven, but the hits are hits.  The first scene, the basement bar, the massacre in the woods man.. I need to watch it again right now. 

Christoph Waltz in Inglorious has to be a top 3 performance in a Tarintino film.  That's an interesting topic unto itself, I wouldn't even know where to begin on putting together a top 5.

The first scene of Inglorious Basterds is probably the best single thing he's ever done, but I think the rest of the movie is "merely" good, and not great.

The bar scene with Fassbender and the strudel scene are both incredibly awesome also.

RE: Home Alone. I've had this discussion a couple times with people but the McAllisters are fucking filthy rich. Look at the house and his father paying for a vacation like that for 15-20 people...  Kevin was a spoiled brat. For the longest time I thought the "Filthy Animal" film was a real movie.. I'd sad that it's not.