DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

With Home Alone. if I go somewhere, I make sure every kid under ten is accounted for by me or another adult. I do not let a teenager do a head count and call it a day. 

The parents should have been riding with the little kids any way. Just terrible people and Daniel Stern. 

A couple things. 

1. I have lived around/with alcoholic vegetarians for years. It will make you love any cheese pizza. ANY.

2. My yearly Jackie Brown viewing just occurred recently and Jae is a god amongst men for his review

3. I saw Home Alone as well recently (for the first time in years. saw it in the theater as a kid. the Roberts Blossom subplot always makes me cry). The writer said in the facts crawl at the bottom of the screen that cell phones would have made the movie a non-event, as noted above, so it's not like they don't know. And Culkin has a band called the Pizza Underground that takes all the Velvet Underground songs and makes the lyrics about pizza. So he's relatively grounded. 

FULL CIRCLE BABY~!

• Like 1

I watched Out of the Furnace. I wouldn't say its a great film, it is a solid movie with an insanely great cast. It kind of reminds me of Training Day where the movie itself is pretty generic but the acting raises its quality.

Denzel and Cliff Curtis in Training Day >>>>>>> any performance in Out of the Furnace

It was an okay movie with great cinematography, but it wasn't much to it. The problem is it fell into the same trap as Killing Them Softly with the "bad economy/Obama change" message. We even got the obligatory watching the Obama campaign trail speech in the bar scene (also featured prominently in Killing Them Softly). Dafoe's character didn't make much sense. He was forcing Rodney to fight, but in the same breath, he said Rodney was a good kid. Good kids don't become a part of an illegal, underground fighting ring to pay off copious amounts of debt. They had to show that he was a bad guy, but he wasn't the BAD BAD guy like Woody's character. WE NEED TO BE GRITTY!

The only time I really gave a shit was when Christian Bale and Woody did a scene, which was few and far between. They had some onscreen hero-villain chemistry, but it was saved for two and half scenes. I wanted more of that instead of exposition and Russell (Bale) walking around town with his uncle. This movie could have been so much more, but it was just film festival fodder.

Recorded all 4 Lethal Weapon movies on the box yesterday. Haven't seen any of them in 15-20 years. Probably gonna make a run at watching all of them this week. Anyway, watched the first one. Riggs busts out a triangle choke on Gary Busey's bad guy for the win.

With Home Alone. if I go somewhere, I make sure every kid under ten is accounted for by me or another adult. I do not let a teenager do a head count and call it a day. 

The parents should have been riding with the little kids any way. Just terrible people and Daniel Stern. 

Doesn't get mentioned as much, but the fact that the parents pretty much turned a blind eye to Uncle Frank verbally abusing their child and humiliating him in front of everyone is really just as bad. Or the mom giving a visibly upset Kevin no sympathy whatsoever in the next scene and casually telling him to wish for another family if he felt that unhappy. Who in their right mind would act like that?

IMO, Harry and Marv aren't the true bad guys of this movie. The parents and uncle Frank are.

• Like 1

Had the best family movie-watching Christmas Eve ever!

Jingle All the Way:  Man, I wonder what it was in Jake Lloyd that George Lucas saw in (presumably) this film and went "That's my star!"  I forgot how awesomely creepy Phil Hartman is in this and also forgot about the Paul "The Giant" Wight being in it, too.  Best scene is still the inexplicable use of 'We don't like you f--' when the kids beat the shit out of the inexplicably gold thong-clad Booster.

Elf: Which is still great.  I still believe that Will Ferrell should have received an Oscar nom. for this, as there's no other actor in the world...maybe ever who could have pulled off that role without being overly obnoxious or knowing.  Also, man, what a cast: Ferrell, James Caan, Bob Newhart, Ed Asner, Mary Steenbergen, Zooey Deschanel, Amy Sedaris, Kyle Gass, Andy Richter, Jon Favreau, Artie Lange, and Matt Walsh.

Christmas Vacation: Which is just the best.  Favourite weird detail I never noticed in my previous 8,000 viewings: the weird asparagus sculpture/dish in the center of the table!

It was Chris Columbus, the director, who said that cell phones would make the movie a non-event. Plus 9/11 made sure the McAllisters aren't running through the airport and making it to the gate in time either.

A smartphone would have made Die Hard into a 40 minute movie.

I'd love to see how little Apple Paltrow would handle the situation. Today's parents are soft, the McCallisters raised Kevin to handle his business.

I will give them that. Most parents today take the easy route and just get a gun to protect themselves and their property from robbers. The McCallisters, on the other hand, raised a devious sociopath who could set up sadistic traps that would make Jigsaw from the Saw movies proud.

• Like 2

I've seen lots of stuff from Sea World talking about "setting the record straight" since the film came out.

If they were so determined to do that, I have to wonder why they didn't just agree to participate in the documentary.

I guess everybody is watching that one.

Did anybody else feel like Sea World is just a cover for breeding an army of psychotic killer whales? When Waterworld comes, those guys will rule the seas.

Aquaman will save us!