DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber VIII - 2/25/2018

Dolfan in NYC

I appreciate the Alvarez sentiment because we've been on the same treadmill for literally years where they won't actually strap the rocket to Roman Reigns and so he doesn't actually get elevated to the rarefied air where he actually belongs.  Roman should already be the guy and we should be working to move Braun up there also.  But Brock's era of boring nonsense must continue until I finally die from drinking a liter of Mountain Dew a day.

Also don't listen to the crowd.  You tell the crowd what it wants.  Crowds are fickle and capricious (which may mean fickle, I don't know!).

Alvarez isn't wrong. I thought that for sure Braun would be eliminated after everyone pins him or everyone hits their finisher on him and then they do one more super finisher to put the big man down because that would do more for the guy than having him eliminate everyone except for Roman. At least Braun looks strong and it shows you basically have to kill the guy to beat him. Instead, nope, he beats everybody, which is still awesome in the moment, but just not when it comes to what they do with the guy moving forward.

If they don't do Braun vs Roman at Summerslam and have Braun win the title, where does this failure rank in terms of WWE pissing away easy money? Near the top, right? It has to be up there with fucking up the invasion.

1 minute ago, Raziel403 said:

They had it right in 15, then got cold feet and decided on Rollins instead.

Yep. Roman was even turning the crowd on his side. It was a main event so many people dreaded and midway through with Roman doing the whole Tommy Dreamer thing of taking a beating and getting back up people started cheering. I still love the Rollins finish, but if they went with Roman at WM 31, things likely aren't as bad as they are now.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

They had it right in 15, then got cold feet and decided on Rollins instead.

That was a hindsight is 20/20 scenario. No one expected the match to be that hot and Roman to win the crowd over. It seemed like a smart way out of a booking conundrum. Obviously it's caused nothing but headaches for them since. 

It really is the clear self consciousness of the booking more than who they're pushing that's their problem. Either have the balls to unabashedly push whoever you want to build the company around straight to the moon or don't pull the trigger. 

They're still able to audible. Vince is supposed to have this insane ability to read an audience and he's the boss. Tell Seth, sorry kid, this is too important, we're managing to not fuck up Roman at the moment.

Hell, give Seth his moment, but maybe have Roman beat Seth for the title within the next month or two. Instead, I think they went with Orton or some shit as #1 contender and then Roman fucked around with Big Show and Bray Wyatt for however long. 

Jesus. I just went to Cagematch to look at Roman's 2015 and man, that was the worst booking ever. Non-stop feuding with the Authority, Roman jobbing because they were trying to make him into Daniel Bryan 2.0 and make him into this underdog, and losing to Seth on the rare chance he would have against him. Whoever said that the booking plans were messed up because Roman pissed hot completely misses that they had tons of opportunities to keep Roman as a badass and take the title from WM in 2015 up until July and they did NOTHING.

Also, say what you will about hindsight being 20/20, but it was clear as day how poorly everything was booked in 2015 after WrestleMania. Wow is this bad.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=9967&page=4&s=400

I was confused about the booking of both the Chamber matches. Not with who won really, but how they got to those winners and how the others were eliminated and such. They were decent matches, but that booking was not that great. For example, that was basically a heel turn for Sasha in the Chamber. But then Bayley is eliminated leaving the crowd to decide who to cheer for - either the one who just turned heel on her best friend or the champ who has been weaseling her way through matches for months. The crowd would've been much hotter if Sasha were pinned and eliminated after the belly to belly from the ropes and then Bayley was fighting to win. Sasha could've laid in the ring or off to the side selling the belly to belly for 5 or so minutes while Bayley and Alexa have a good back and forth, but then Sasha can come to and cost Bayley the match. The heel champ Alexa doesn't win cleanly, and it sets up the new rivalry between Sasha/Bayley heading in to Mania.

And then Braun eliminates every other person in the match, but Reigns wins. But then he gets beat up by Braun. Not a great way to build a challenger to the title. I understand keeping Braun strong, but why would anybody truly get behind the guy who barely won after the other guy did all the work in eliminating everybody. Braun should've been pinned after taking that powerbomb, and then everybody else hits their finishers on him right after, and then they all pin him, and then he still kicks out at 3 1/2, and then he destroys everybody before leaving the ring. Then the match can continue with everybody else and Reigns can win by beating Cena or Rollins at the end.

It just seems like they are overcomplicating these things that shouldn't be that complicated

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

I was confused about the booking of both the Chamber matches. Not with who won really, but how they got to those winners and how the others were eliminated and such. They were decent matches, but that booking was not that great. For example, that was basically a heel turn for Sasha in the Chamber. But then Bayley is eliminated leaving the crowd to decide who to cheer for - either the one who just turned heel on her best friend or the champ who has been weaseling her way through matches for months. The crowd would've been much hotter if Sasha were pinned and eliminated after the belly to belly from the ropes and then Bayley was fighting to win. Sasha could've laid in the ring or off to the side selling the belly to belly for 5 or so minutes while Bayley and Alexa have a good back and forth, but then Sasha can come to and cost Bayley the match. The heel champ Alexa doesn't win cleanly, and it sets up the new rivalry between Sasha/Bayley heading in to Mania.

And then Braun eliminates every other person in the match, but Reigns wins. But then he gets beat up by Braun. Not a great way to build a challenger to the title. I understand keeping Braun strong, but why would anybody truly get behind the guy who barely won after the other guy did all the work in eliminating everybody. Braun should've been pinned after taking that powerbomb, and then everybody else hits their finishers on him right after, and then they all pin him, and then he still kicks out at 3 1/2, and then he destroys everybody before leaving the ring. Then the match can continue with everybody else and Reigns can win by beating Cena or Rollins at the end.

It just seems like they are overcomplicating these things that shouldn't be that complicated

Plus they repeated a lot of stuff throughout the show: both Chamber matches had similar moments, when Sasha dummied Bayley and then Rollins dummied Reigns...and both times the announcers are all "but they're friends! ZOMG!"

Plus, Nia/Asuka and the Chamber end the same way, with the monster heel taking the fall only to get up and kick ass after. Don't they have agents and writers to avoid this?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Plus, Nia/Asuka and the Chamber end the same way, with the monster heel taking the fall only to get up and kick ass after. Don't they have agents and writers to avoid this?

Braun isn't a heel at this point. Other than that still too similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

Plus they repeated a lot of stuff throughout the show: both Chamber matches had similar moments, when Sasha dummied Bayley and then Rollins dummied Reigns...and both times the announcers are all "but they're friends! ZOMG!"

To be fair - when Sasha kicked Bayley Cole did say "How many times does it have to happen before Bayley will learn?" and then brought up Sasha eliminating Bayley at Rumble

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - when Sasha kicked Bayley Cole did say "How many times does it have to happen before Bayley will learn?" and then brought up Sasha eliminating Bayley at Rumble

Long live the Queen...

GloriousAcceptableDoctorfish-size_restri

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's gonna be so cool when Bayley wears all black and starts carrying a ball bat.

Sister Abigail is right there.....

Well, it would be, if Bray's career wasn't deader than Bayley's.  

Besides, Bayley was very entertaining in NXT and can work.  I still want her to succeed on the main roster.  She'd have to run over my dog, back up over the dog, get out of the car and fling feces at me, then insult my mother before I'd wish Bray on her.

(I'm kidding.  She'd have to do worse than that before i'd want to see her paired with Bray.)

• Like 2