DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Ace said:

Got my tix in the cheap seats. Section 110, Row T, Seat 12

The problem for me is that the "cheap seats" is still a $50 ticket. As much as I would like to support them, I'm driving down from Northern CA, and I have an 8 year old that wants to go along. Our limited entertainment budget puts us out in the cold. If they ran a bigger building, or had a $25 tier it would make things a lot easier for us. I'll have to stick to giving them $10 every month and hoping they run San Francisco at some point in the future.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

The best currently active commentary team is Excalibur and Chuck Taylor.

I guiltily admit that I have seen way less PWG than I should have but I'm a really big fan of everything I've seen Chuck Taylor do. That Best Friends interview show with he and Trent Baretta is insanely funny, I could see him being great on commentary. Isn't he their world champ right now??

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - the latest update on Rousey is that she will debut at Mania

It will be Rousey and ??? vs. Triple H/Steph

I await the big who is the best real fake fighter feud between her and Shayna Bazler.

I also predict that Rousey will quit as soon as someone potatoes her in the nose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, matt925 said:

Hope everyone got their Long Beach tickets. That was fast. They need to announce they are moving to the forum, today. They are fools if they go through this again and still don’t learn what their ceiling is. 

One would expect that the next time they come to the US they would be in a larger arena. The forum holds 17,500 people full bowl and 8,000 half bowl. New Japan seems to be playing it safe. So it's likely that they'd do half bowl and then come back for a fourth time and do full bowl. Although I wonder if you could get 17,500 fns to a New Japan show in the U.S.

3 hours ago, Cristobal said:

Am I the only one who thinks Coach is an improvement over Booker T?

Me. Where do I send WWE money for correcting this horrible problem that's persisted over the last few months? 100% improvement, I'm very happy to get Booker T off my fucking TV.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

One would expect that the next time they come to the US they would be in a larger arena. The forum holds 17,500 people full bowl and 8,000 half bowl. New Japan seems to be playing it safe. So it's likely that they'd do half bowl and then come back for a fourth time and do full bowl. Although I wonder if you could get 17,500 fns to a New Japan show in the U.S.

I highly doubt they could sell that out, but I specifically suggest it because it’s an old venue that is likely very cheap compared to current nba/nhl arenas. Even selling 8,000 tickets would be profitable I’m sure. The point is they should run a large venue and figure exactly how many people they can draw. When your show sells out immediately you are leaving a lot of money on the table. Tickets are too cheap and the venue is way too small. And when they come back they will have the same questions all over again. 

They need to announce that due to overwhelming demand, they are moving to a larger venue. Find out just how many tickets they can actually sell right now. The Forum has history too. They can do do a video package to show in japan with all the major events that happened there. It’s a no brainer to me. 

Here's a question since we're now heading towards Roman vs Brock - Has WWE successfully rehabbed Roman's persona? I was talking to a friend about Brock and Roman earlier and I weirdly found myself not being anti-Roman anymore. I'm at the point where I don't really care and given what we saw with Jinder as champ, there are far worse options than Roman to be the top guy. I still think Roman looks like a doofus, I still like Braun more than Roman, I still think Roman should drop the title to Braun this year, but I wouldn't be disappointed or put off by Roman beating Brock. A year ago I would have said "fuck Roman" and blah blah blah, but now...eh...he's not so bad.

40 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Here's a question since we're now heading towards Roman vs Brock - Has WWE successfully rehabbed Roman's persona? I was talking to a friend about Brock and Roman earlier and I weirdly found myself not being anti-Roman anymore. I'm at the point where I don't really care and given what we saw with Jinder as champ, there are far worse options than Roman to be the top guy. I still think Roman looks like a doofus, I still like Braun more than Roman, I still think Roman should drop the title to Braun this year, but I wouldn't be disappointed or put off by Roman beating Brock. A year ago I would have said "fuck Roman" and blah blah blah, but now...eh...he's not so bad.

Great wrestler, awful character.  They've never figured out how to make him likeable or sympathetic as a babyface.

55 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Roman's great.

74042e07745eb2473e6680ec005e877d.gif

4 hours ago, matt925 said:

Hope everyone got their Long Beach tickets. That was fast. They need to announce they are moving to the forum, today. They are fools if they go through this again and still don’t learn what their ceiling is. 

Got lucky and picked up front row on the south side.  Woop woop.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I'm hoping AXS airs it life again. and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get Jericho vs Naito. 

Meltzer reported it was stated that the show will air live on njpw world everywhere outside of the US, and would air on delay in the US, which suggests that AXS already secured the rights to the live broadcast. 

If you haven’t seen it, here is an interesting interview with Mark Cuban where he discusses all of the new japan axs stuff. I always wondered how they paid for the live broadcast last year and here is the answer. They went all in on wk too, and look to be all in on the Long Beach show. 

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2017/12/13/wrestling-news-mark-cuban-vince-mcmahon-new-japan-pro-wrestling

5 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Tonight on Raw
Matt Hardy vs Elias
John Cena vs Finn Balor
Strowman vs Kane in a Last Man Standing Match

All 3 are Elimination chamber qualifying matches. 

Big possibility they will all be on the Hulu cut then, so I don't have to sit through the 3 hour live broadcast.

2 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

The big deal on moving to a larger building might be rent.  What does it cost to book venues?  I heard Meltzer say once that the larger the building the much higher the rent so I don't think it is a straight line move.

When the show sells out right away there is a lot of money left on the table. I’m not saying they should book staples center, although I bet they would win if they gambled and did book staples center (as far as at least breaking even and getting mainstream attention). 

But for an older rundown venue, they could book it for very cheap. APW did two shows last year  at the cow palace outside of San Francisco. Both shows were successful and they only drew like 2k fans with way lower ticket prices than the njpw show. The Forum would not be expensive. 

Hell, last year when they were at the Long Beach convention center, there is an arena there which seats 13,500, and would definitely not be expensive to rent when you know you are selling thousands of tickets. They messed up by not moving over there 6 months ago. Don’t make the same mistake again, and come in a third time again having no idea how ticket sales will go.