DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2018 UPCOMING MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Because Ayn Rand reminded me of him, can somebody come up with a biopic of Anton LaVey sometime? He was far more carny and fun than reiterating any of that old hag's yuppie philosophy by adapting her work. 

I think CBS is doing a series with somehow connected to LaVey this fall?  Maybe I'm misremembering a Crowley adjacent series

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The will be a Sonic the Hedgehog movie

James Marsden will star in it

Is James Marsden in some kind of financial trouble or something?

He has played everything from an android in Westworld, to David Summer in a remake of Straw Dogs, to the straight man for an Easter Bunny that shits jelly beans in Hop..

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Is James Marsden in some kind of financial trouble or something?

He has played everything from an android in Westworld, to David Summer in a remake of Straw Dogs, to the straight man for an Easter Bunny that shits jelly beans in Hop..

"I have never seen it but by all accounts it is terrible.  However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific" - Michael Caine on being in Jaws: The Revenge.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

"I have never seen it but by all accounts it is terrible.  However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific" - Michael Caine on being in Jaws: The Revenge.

That's one of my favorite quotes.  I remember hearing that Caine would pick roles by asking "where is it shooting?"  Followed by "how is the weather there?"

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jason Momao and director Corin Hardy have both bailed on The Crow remake

I wish this made me sad, but it doesn't.  They should just fucking do another installment from one of the other more interesting graphic novels and let Brandon Lee's performance stand alone.

In this age of Wonder Woman and Killing Eve and Orphan Black and Ocean's 8 and an all female reboot of Ghostbusters, I am confused as to why no one is trying to adopt The Crow:  Flesh & Blood into a screenplay.

crow-flesh-and-blood-01-27.jpg

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That's one of my favorite quotes.  I remember hearing that Caine would pick roles by asking "where is it shooting?"  Followed by "how is the weather there?"

So THAT explains The Island.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, Betsy Zeidler said:

I think CBS is doing a series with somehow connected to LaVey this fall?  Maybe I'm misremembering a Crowley adjacent series

You’re thinking of Strange Angel, which actually debuts in a little less than 2 weeks. It’s about Jack Parsons, but features Crowley.

5 hours ago, EVA said:

That just reeks of "well-meaning but overreaching."

I believe you meant to say "reeks of 'having no chance to make back its budget'".

6 hours ago, Control said:

Waititi hasn't made a bad film so he gets all the benefit of the doubt.

My friend's theater showed "What We Do In The Shadows" on Wednesday. Place was packed.

Widows

Director: Steve McQueen. McQueen also co-wrote with Gillian Flynn

The cast is insane. All you need to know is that Viola Davis is pissed off.

• Like 1

Michelle Rodriguez AND Cynthia Erivo are in the same film. A career typecast and a woman can literally pull off ANY role (and can sing her ass off FWIW) is some duality. Steve McQueen is putting his fellow black Britons over by getting Get Out guy as well.

11 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Steve McQueen is putting his fellow black Britons over by getting Get Out guy as well.

I thought Daniel Kaluyya was already over? 

Now, Lucien Laviscount.  There is a Brit brotha that could use some career advice..

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

I thought Daniel Kaluyya was already over?

You added an extra Y in his name so apparently not that over. 

Anyway, I was going add that WB has a similar film coming out next year with Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish. Instead of recycling the female gender swap ensemble crime films, why not just buy the real life stories of Thelma Wright and Jemeker Thompson? I know Jemeker has been trying to sell her story ever since she left prison. Hell, Erivo looks like Jemeker Thompson. If you want a real life chick from LA, get Tiffany Haddish to play Jemeker Thompson. I don't know if I'm already tired of some of these films as I am tired of seeing composite characters of Freeway Ricky Ross for two decades (Michael K Williams played him in Kill the Messenger but he was a minor character essentially). When they finally did a Griselda Blanco film, it was a Lifetime film with Catherine Zeta Jones as Griselda so I should be careful.

I don't know. I haven't seen a Transformers movie since the first one but I can get behind a Bumblebee (actual VW Bug) vs Starscream movie directed by the guy who directed Kubo that may or may not have John Cena in it?

Also, Lego Mad Max is great. Hopefully we get a lot of that.

And this: