DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Caught up with my sci-fi shows.

This week's Star Trek: Lense Flare was a big improvement over the first two, primarily because of Jason Isaacs as the new captain. He's trying something different - a genuinely creepy captain - while injecting some much needed gravitas. The rest of the episode was pretty blah. I've come to the conclusion the biggest problem is Michael isn't as interesting as they think she is.

Meanwhile, Orville hit it out of the park this week. Best episode yet and one that would've fit right in during the prime years of TNG. T-Bag was great and we had the cameo of the year. The last two weeks Macfarlane has really gotten the balance between silly and serious just right. 

• Like 1

Is anybody watching the TGIF stuff on Hulu? As a kid I loved TGIF, it was a nice appetizer for my weekend of cartoons and wrestling. 

Now my natural inclination is to start with Urkel and then skip to the crazy science business. instead I have been watching Step By Step. Has more dick jokes than I remember. 

• Like 1

Holy shit, Neftflix's Mindhunter,  you guys. It's incredible. I'm a big time fan of The Last Podcast on the Left, and it was fascinating to see such an accurate portrayal of Ed Kemper. The two leads are so good too. All in on this.

They cover so many varieties of subjects, so it's really all down to listener preference. I loved all their episodes on Crowley (55, 197 and 199). Some of their best stuff is covering cults like Aum Shinrikyo (218-221) and Hubbard (261-264). If you're okay with people respectfully poking fun at black metal, then 100% start with the recent series on the Norwegian black metal scene. I don't think I've laughed as much at their stuff as I have listening to that batch. For aliens, I love the Roswell 2 parter (216-217). For the heavy hitter serial killer episodes, I think the job they did on Dahmer (122-124) was spectacular. They're currently covering Pickton, which is a big deal for me because I live in a Vancouver suburb and was in high school when that stuff was coming to light. 

And if you ever get the chance to see them live, do it. They're a blast. Only other time I laughed so hard was seeing Mr. Show live all those years ago. They also do a mostly regularly weekly stream on adult swim's site that is fun. Just taking calls and watching silly videos. 

On 10/12/2017 at 7:38 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

Bill Goldberg guest starred on this week’s The Goldbergs. It was pretty great.

It was the one we have been waiting for. Apty titled "Goldberg on the Goldbergs". I think he has good comic timing. 

Apparently he is coming back for a second appearance. 

I'm kinda torn on MINDHUNTER.

On one hand, it commits all the cardinal sins of streaming shows, taking forever to actually get to the point, leaving in scenes that would've been quickly cut from a "regular" TV show because they served no purpose, etc.  The 1st episode in particular was brutally dull, and even David Fischer didn't seem all that interested in directing this material.  In the 2nd episode, Jonathan Groff and Holt McCallany have the basically the EXACT SAME CONVERSATION in the car three times.  In summation:

"We need to interview these killers!"

"I'm here to play golf."

Later...

"We REALLY need to interview these killers!"

"I told you I just want to play golf!"

Even later...

"But the killers!"

GOLF

End of the episode:  "You know, I think you're onto something interviewing these killers...."

But the guy who shows up as Ed Kemper is REALLY good, and once they actually start solving crimes in the 3rd episode, it's a perfectly acceptable police procedural.  So I guess I'll watch a few more.