DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I found the first season of The Wire excruciatingly dull, tapped out half way through the season 2 premiere. Such an overrated bag of reheated cop show standard events. Ugh. And McNulty was just hateable in the bad way.

That said, the first two seasons of The Sopranos is all-time great tv, and the rest is generally pretty good.

• Like 1

The final season of Scandal is very fascinating if your political philosophy is somewhat liberal.  Every episode is pretty much an Op Ed piece from Shonda with just enough trashy narrative to satisfy the masses.

I really like the Wire, but I think it's a fair criticism that they focus the show too much on McNulty when he's by far the least interesting character, at least in the first season.  His arc gets a bit better once he gets busted down and meets Bea.

Holy Shit -

Youtube Red is making a Karate Kid sequel called Cobra Kai starring Ralph Macchio and Billy Zabka.

“revolves around a down and out Johnny who, seeking redemption, reopens the infamous Cobra Kai dojo. It reignites his rivalry with a now-successful Daniel, who has been struggling to maintain balance in his life without the guidance of his mentor, Mr. Miyagi.”

I don't need to pay for another streaming service, but man I need to see this. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 4:45 AM, PetrolCB said:

Man, Nathan For You is such a great show. This episode was ridiculous as usual and was awesome in every aspect.

Most underrated show on TV imo.

The Anecdote was fantastic.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

House of Cards has been cancelled 

It was heavily implied that this season would be the last one anyway.

It's slightly disingenuous of them to say that Spacey's harassment allegations was the impetus to cancel the program.

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Red Band due to language (which is really weird for a show that is technically CBS)

I think we've all noticed a spike in the use of adult language in network shows that run after 9PM.  Most of the time they bleep out the worst of the bad words and let some go.

Then the networks run the shows uncut on demand.  The number of f-bombs that Elliot drops in one episode of Mr. Robot is astounding.

Wendy Williams had an overheating spell and fainted on live television.

That is fucking scary..

I am doing my best not to laugh at the tasteless MK ULTRA~!, TOTAL RECALL  /  TWO WEEKS~!, and THE CUBANS HAVE SONIC WEAPONS~! jokes.

It is hard because they are very funny and I am an idiot.

Get well soon, Wendy. :(

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Wendy Williams had an overheating spell and fainted on live television.

That is fucking scary..

I am doing my best not to laugh at the tasteless MK ULTRA~!, TOTAL RECALL  /  TWO WEEKS~!, and THE CUBANS HAVE SONIC WEAPONS~! jokes.

It is hard because they are very funny and I am an idiot.

Get well soon, Wendy. :(

This last month for Wendy has been quite...um..trying. Her husband buying his mistress a house, the photos on the beach, the back and forth with 50 Cent, getting caught hating on Angie Martinez for getting her own syndicated talk show, and now this. This is some really bad juju but if anyone has earned it maybe, it would be Wendy Williams.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This last month for Wendy has been quite...um..trying. Her husband buying his mistress a house, the photos on the beach, the back and forth with 50 Cent, getting caught hating on Angie Martinez for getting her own syndicated talk show, and now this. This is some really bad juju but if anyone has earned it maybe, it would be Wendy Williams.

The ride home after work should be interesting.  Hughley should have jokes for days.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic