DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather vs. McGregor (8/26/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, Execproducer said:

Team I don't think you can dismiss a bum shoulder. Conner deserves credit but Floyd wasn't treating him like hè was a real threat.

If you've been calling Floyd chicken for like 2 or 3 years, I don't want to hear about a shoulder problem when the fight actually happens. 

2 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I'd like to thank the streamers tonight. There was no way I'd dish out $100 for this. Good show though. 

The Box Azteca announcers spent the first 3 rounds giggling. Well worth the money saved.

3 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I'd like to thank the streamers tonight. There was no way I'd dish out $100 for this. Good show though. 

A lot of people should be sending christmas cards to Periscope after tonight.  Whether they wanted it to happen or not they got a ton of traffic

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

I had the fight going 5-4 in favor of Conor until he ran out of gas in the tenth. He did way better than anyone expected, but yeah boxing stamina is no joke.

Floyd's stamina is no joke. I think he has been the best conditioned fighter I have seen especially considering the guy has like 3 or 4 retirements/long hiatuses.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, elizium said:

The Box Azteca announcers spent the first 3 rounds giggling. Well worth the money saved.

That guy who was... yelping? ... every time Floyd hit Conor in the face was pretty fun.

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Alright, that's over with.  Go back to MMA and defend your belt McGregor.

Right now, I dunno if Khabib is legit recuperating from that surgery or he is using that to get a direct LW title shot (since he turned down a Ferguson fight). However, that would make sense as the 12/30 headliner.

I dunno if Holm really wants to fight Cyborg so they really need to figure that out in the next 3-4 weeks to get that card built.

FWIW: Based on what I saw tonight and what Paulie turned in his last fight, Conor would beat the holy hell out of him. Not saying much since Paulie should've retired after Porter beat him within an inch of his life, but Conor could make a ton of money off that fight.

Considering the number of casuals in this thread...not a lot of fuckery. Usually,  for any fight of this magnitude, the thread would be on some post apocalyptic wastleland shit.  

I'm happy.

• Like 1

Watching this post-fight presser, did Ellerbe develop the sentence, then pause, then sentence fragment, and another pause speaking style and pass it on to Floyd or was it the other way around? I know they been tight for a long time, but they speak with the exact same rhythm. Floyd at least switches it up when he isn't in PR more to be fair though.

12 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Considering the number of casuals in this thread...not a lot of fuckery. Usually,  for any fight of this magnitude, the thread would be on some post apocalyptic wastleland shit.  

I'm happy.

It is 2 AM, give it time ;)

Conor can definitely come out of the fight with his head high. Once Mayweather started ramping it up around the 5th/6th round I knew Conor wouldn't be able to respond, but he looked pretty competent against one of the best boxers of the last few decades, and can still say he wasn't knocked down (I'm not saying it was an early stoppage, just that he can claim that). He easily lasted long enough that it didn't make MMA look second rate. So all in all everyone wins really. It was a better fight than I expected so fans can't really complain, UFC's fighter looked solid so they are happy, Mayweather won and is rich so he's happy as can be, and Conor didn't get embarrassed and is rich too. A rare win all the way around.

• Like 4

I didn't want Floyd to go out on the Berto fight. That was a flat fight even though I know Floyd's intent was to get Berto a payday. He found a way to get a fight bigger (or at least on very equal footing) than the Manny fight and with less time to build the fight. 

I'm not one for moral victories.  Conor looked better than I thought but he ran out of gas and then Floyd with superior stamina picked the bones. An entertaining bout though, far from the "farce" that a lot of people were claiming.  Floyd is 40 now, nothing to prove to anyone.  Conor answered the UFC question pretty quickly.  But Jim's question was a fair one. Will Conor fight for the same rates? 

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not one for moral victories.  Conor looked better than I thought but he ran out of gas and then Floyd with superior stamina picked the bones. An entertaining bout though, far from the "farce" that a lot of people were claiming.  Floyd is 40 now, nothing to prove to anyone.  Conor answered the UFC question pretty quickly.  But Jim's question was a fair one. Will Conor fight for the same rates? 

He isn't going to get the same rates. Also, at the same time, he isn't going to get a 30 million dollar purse anywhere else. He may get 10 million or so to fight Paulie but even Manny is struggling to stay at 20 million. The best guys in boxing aren't commanding above 2 or 3 million unless it's Klitschko thing or a big superfight. There is a lot of common ground between 5 to 7 million and 10-15 million especially if Conor is a bigger star from this.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

He isn't going to get the same rates. Also, at the same time, he isn't going to get a 30 million dollar purse anywhere else. He may get 10 million or so to fight Paulie but even Manny is struggling to stay at 20 million. The best guys in boxing aren't commanding above 2 or 3 million unless it's Klitschko thing or a big superfight. There is a lot of common ground between 5 to 7 million and 10-15 million especially if Conor is a bigger star from this.

How much are GGG and Canelo getting next month? 

There's no way Conor was ahead after nine rounds, unless you were watching with Irish glasses on. It was even at best after six, and then Floyd started focusing on the head in 8-9-10 after Conor could no longer properly protect himself. A great job by an MMA guy attempting boxing, but unless he landed a knockout punch, he was not going to win.

I really liked the undercard matches. Just a bunch of guys trying to knock people out. As someone who is not a big fan of either MMA or boxing, this was quite the spectacle.

Well, that was fun. Had to watch the first few rounds on a phone because the FightPass stream died a death due to all those late orders.

Conor did much better than I expected, though I never really got the sense that Floyd was in any real serious danger aside from maybe that bodyshot that got him up against the ropes in the 6th or 7th round. When Conor got gassed and Floyd started walking him down, it was pretty much inevitable, but still, aggressive Floyd was a welcome sight after all the sleepwalking he'd done since probably the second Maidona fight.

EDIT: It was round 9. God, I need sleep.

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

How much are GGG and Canelo getting next month? 

Unofficial: Canelo - $15m, GGG - $10 or $15m (I would assume 10m because Canelo is still the A side)

Golovkin's biggest purse before that was 2.5m against Jacobs

• Like 1

I was just curious how Canelo's buy rates do against a down year for UFC. Jones/Cormier 2 did somewhere around 900k and the Chavez Jr. fight did over a million. I know it was on Cinco de Mayo and featured a Mexican legendary name, but how do you think that fight will compare with a far more competitive and interesting fight with GGG? 

And do people think this breaks the record? The delay has to be a good sign. I know the Manny fight had similar issues but I'm guessing they had as high expectations for this one. 

Just now, Oyaji said:

I was just curious how Canelo's buy rates do against a down year for UFC. Jones/Cormier 2 did somewhere around 900k and the Chavez Jr. fight did over a million. I know it was on Cinco de Mayo and featured a Mexican legendary name, but how do you think that fight will compare with a far more competitive and interesting fight with GGG? 

And do people think this breaks the record? The delay has to be a good sign. I know the Manny fight had similar issues but I'm guessing they had as high expectations for this one. 

I think the Mexican Independence day fight can do 1.5-1.7 million but folks having to pay for another big fight three weeks after this is still a lot.

People view Golovkin legitimately as a very entertaining and tremendous fighter. That still hasn't translated into a ton of buys. By himself, he can do the same numbers as the average, run of the mill UFC show or a little lower. Chavez Jr, despite being a very average fighter with some flashes of being a little more than that, still has his name and that's good for 200k or 250k buys before people jumped completely off the bandwagon. So it's hard to really figure out a realistic number especially this close after a megafight.