DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

I’m pretty glad about Boba in his own series. One thing that’s been disappointing about Mando following the first set of episodes is that he isn’t really a bounty hunter anymore once they got stuck with the baby. This new series might be a nice way to have a re-do since they’ve reestablished that Boba is alive. I’m also excited about reading that Robert Rodriguez is involved with this. 

Is it going to be a separate series?  Checking online, it seems Mandalorian season 3 starts next December, same as Book of Fett. Would they have two series like this going on at the same time?  Maybe Mandalorian season 3 will be split between Fett's underworld dealings and Mando's conflict with being the King of Mandalore.  Or "Book of Fett" is a Disney+ movie, maybe? 

Book of Fett was rumored to be a series around two years ago or more. And then it presumably got shelved around the time they shelved a bunch of Star Wars projects after Solo was a mess. I'd imagine it's still a series, but probably a one off mini series. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

After watching a video this morning about how someone yielded the Darksaber to Bo Katan I'm now confused about why she now wouldn't accept it. 

She might have if Gideon hadn’t been there to stir shit up. Also, we don’t know how he got it in the first place and how public that might have been.

Plus, can you really trust Sasha Banks not to go heel again if you don’t cross your t’s?

• Like 2

Looking back at this season, I still mostly enjoyed it, but it was a clear step down from season 1, and I imagine we’re going to look back at this as the IRON MAN 2 of the SW TV universe (hmm, what do these things have in common?), where there was just so much energy invested in setting up other stuff without ever figuring out how to pull it all together into a cohesive story.

I kind of have mixed feelings about various directions the show could be going in the future.

I feel like “Mandalorian GOT” would be an interesting premise for S3, but given how breezy the show’s approach to plotting is, I can’t imagine it playing out as well as it could in theory.

And they’ve put themselves in a weird situation with Grogu.  The show is what it is because of the Mando/Grogu dynamic, and it’s very difficult to imagine a plausible scenario that would put them back together now that You Know Who is in the picture.  Like, there is no possible situation where Mando is a necessary or better protector for Grogu than Him.  And obviously we’re a long way off from that guy bugging out to the butthole of the universe.

And that CGI did NOT work well enough for that character to be a regular thing on the show.  (Which is weird, because we know from the Marvel films that the Mouse has access to the technology to do that stuff a lot better.)

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

After watching a video this morning about how someone yielded the Darksaber to Bo Katan I'm now confused about why she now wouldn't accept it. 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

She might have if Gideon hadn’t been there to stir shit up. Also, we don’t know how he got it in the first place and how public that might have been.

Yeah, the way Bo-Katan kept looking at both Gideon and Bank's character makes me think she made some loud promise/pronouncement/shit talk that bit her in the ass after she lost it, and now her pride won't let her do it any other way.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

And that CGI did NOT work well enough for that character to be a regular thing on the show.  (Which is weird, because we know from the Marvel films that the Mouse has access to the technology to do that stuff a lot better.)

I'm wondering if it's the difference between seeing it on the big screen (Rogue One had me forgetting Tarkin's actor had died ages ago) and the small screen (that looked very plastic).

22 minutes ago, EVA said:

Looking back at this season, I still mostly enjoyed it, but it was a clear step down from season 1, and I imagine we’re going to look back at this as the IRON MAN 2 of the SW TV universe

God damn, that's harsh!  ? I found Iron Man 2 to be dull and meandering from beginning to end.  While this season started off dull and meandering, it at least had a great ending run.

19 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I'm wondering if it's the difference between seeing it on the big screen (Rogue One had me forgetting Tarkin's actor had died ages ago) and the small screen (that looked very plastic).

It looked fake to me but maybe I'm the opposite of you here, as I knew Cushing was long dead.  How about the Leia CG from Rogue One?  I think I put Deepfake Luke on about the same level as those two in terms of looking pretty fake and uncanny valleyish.  Not that I cared at all. 

Now I'm trying to figure of where these compare to the young versions of Kurt Russell and Michael Douglas from GOTG2 and Endgame, respectively.

Edited by Technico Support

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Is it going to be a separate series?  Checking online, it seems Mandalorian season 3 starts next December, same as Book of Fett. Would they have two series like this going on at the same time? 

I'm guessing S3 of Mandolorian actually comes in 2022. Its sounds like filming will begin right after they finish shooting Book of Fett based on Favreau's comments on GMA.

• Like 1

I mean, is the Fett arc in Clone Wars not canon no more? I've only seen two or three episodes but I thought he was fleshed out pretty well, the revenge angle and I think there was some stuff with Cad Bane?

Maybe they bring the kid from AotC back to play young Boba in flashbacks, I dunno? By now I think he's old enough to play young man Boba in the Rogue One/Solo era. If they'd do flashbacks i mean.

I say this with zero idea of what Book of Fett would've been about, honestly. Just fantasy booking tbh.

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

I thought someone here mentioned this, but it could have been Twitter where I saw that Sabine found the Darksaber and gave it to Bo Katan with the blessing of all of the Mandalore clans. The speculation was that since Sabine found it instead of winning it from someone in combat, and the clans approved Bo Katan as it’s rightful owner, it was a unique one-off situation that’s different from Mando winning it from Gideon.

9 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

I thought someone here mentioned this, but it could have been Twitter where I saw that Sabine found the Darksaber and gave it to Bo Katan with the blessing of all of the Mandalore clans. The speculation was that since Sabine found it instead of winning it from someone in combat, and the clans approved Bo Katan as it’s rightful owner, it was a unique one-off situation that’s different from Mando winning it from Gideon.

OK, but that does seem to be a very flimsy explanation. How do people accept how Sabine got it? She basically stole it from Darth Maul's cave on Dathomir...so...yielding that way is more acceptable than someone who actually won it combat yielding it to someone else? 

Edited by TheVileOne

Also, what if Mando just throws a fight to Bo Katan. That's why ultimately the whole needing to win the Darksaber in combat is dumb. It was the one thing I didn't really care for about the finale.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm guessing S3 of Mandolorian actually comes in 2022. Its sounds like filming will begin right after they finish shooting Book of Fett based on Favreau's comments on GMA.

2022 sounds about right. Streaming shows tend to have irregular release periods. 

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm looking forward to where Mandalorian goes next season.  I think it's pretty damn cool that a guy who was unknowingly raised by the ISIS of Mandalore is now the rightful ruler of (whatever is left of) their entire planet.

It's interesting that Bo Katan gave Mando a hard time about being in a relic of a cult, when she herself was introduced as being a member of Deathwatch, a literal terrorist organization bent on returning Mandalore to it's "old ways"

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, what if Mando just throws a fight to Bo Katan. That's why ultimately the whole needing to win the Darksaber in combat is dumb. It was the one thing I didn't really care for about the finale.

Does he seem the sort to throw a fight?

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Seriously, who is going to break the lie? Is the Mandalorian clan authority going to a New Republic prison to verify Moff Gideon's story?

34 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

OK, but that does seem to be a very flimsy explanation. How do people accept how Sabine got it? She basically stole it from Darth Maul's cave on Dathomir...so...yielding that way is more acceptable than someone who actually won it combat yielding it to someone else? 

Maybe because Maul isn't a Mandalorian, taking it from him is considered reclaiming it from an outsider. That left possession up in the air and Sabine rightfully claimed it when she defeated Saxon in combat.

As for Bo Katan accepting it from her after that, I can only say I don't know?