DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Haven't looked forward to a film as much as Three Billboards in ages. In Bruges is one of my all time favourite films, I've watched it probably once a year since it was released and I laugh at something different in it every time. If Three Billboards is anything like that in a hilarious one scene, dark as fuck kick you in the balls in the next scene kinda way, I will love the everliving shit out of it. I read that about McDormand too but also heard that Rockwell steals the show but then Sam Rockwell gonna Sam Rockwell.

Best cast of the year, although The Death of Stalin (ISAACS/BUSCEMI/TAMBOR/CONSIDINE/PALIN/WHITEHOUSE) might try its best not to make it a total squash match in Three Billboards favour.

Judging from the trailer, The Death of Stalin is gonna have to have them all punch up real hard. Looks like there's no middle ground for that one. I'm not sure if the tone is gonna match the performances personally (also considering you're dealing with making a comedy of the Stalin regime... would that do that for Hitler?)

FWIW, The people who saw The Current War at TIFF and didn't like it REALLY dislike it. It's at 20% on Rotten Tomatoes, and I don't expect it to get much better in 2 months. On the other hand, Hostiles is getting positive buzz from what I've seen.

On 01/09/2017 at 8:57 AM, J.T. said:

YES~! 

I will require a spoiler free review from you when you get back!

(This is for "mother!")

Probably better if I err on the side of saying less rather than more.  Very burnt out right now anyway.

It's very good.  I didn't love it.  Feels like a low-end top 10 for 2017.  Just didn't tick enough of my boxes.  YMMV.

The sound design was an unexpected highlight.  Lots of subtle but ominous creaking in the house, along with... other noises.  A big chunk of the movie is either tight close-ups of Lawrence, or shots that are from her POV.  Sort of typical horror stuff, but very well done.

It gets very crazy in the third act, as you may have heard.  100% bonkers.  Crazier than the end of Requiem.

There was a Q&A with Aronofsky afterwards, and he was unexpectedly open about explaining things.  So it seems like he wants people to be in the dark going in, but once they've actually seen the movie, he'll tell you all about it.  Which probably means word will get out pretty quickly about certain things.

Everyone who attended the screening received this card (spoiled for size):

900x900px-LL-b48fefa1_IMG_1896.jpeg900x900px-LL-d803cb3a_IMG_1898.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Louis CK premiered a "surprise" movie at TIFF, I Love You Daddy. He stars in it along with Chloe Grace Moretz, Charlie Day, and John Malcovich. The essential conceit is what would happen if an apologist fan for a sacred cow director with a soiled reputation in the vein of Polanski or Allen were to meet their hero and discover they have designs on their teenage daughter. It sounds spicey, especially since it sort of acknowledges that CK has developed his own baggage that his fans ignore. I'm not sure if it's found distribution yet, but I'm assuming it'll make its way to Netflix. 

23 hours ago, (BP) said:

The essential conceit is what would happen if an apologist fan for a sacred cow director with a soiled reputation in the vein of Polanski or Allen were to meet their hero and discover they have designs on their teenage daughter.

To be clear, the director has designs on the apologist fan's teenage daughter.  I read it the other way around on my first look at your post.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

To be clear, the director has designs on the apologist fan's teenage daughter.  I read it the other way around on my first look at your post.

Yeah, I rewrote it a few times and it was still a poorly constructed sentence.

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Seemed pretty accurate to me. I can't wait for it. 

To be clear - I wasn't saying it was bad or, as you said, inaccurate

Just "God - a whole movie of it...."

Yeah, I'm already calling it, if the reviews are halfway decent (and so far, they've been glowing), Disaster Artist is going to be a huge favorite to win Best Picture and we may have "Academy Award winner James Franco" in our lives.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:21 AM, RIPPA said:

Fifty Shades Freed

So I guess there is a third one

I am amused that the trailers always come off like they are promoting a horror movie

Seems about right to me.  I find the idea of actually watching one of the movies horrible.

I'm grateful my wife hated the book and basically hates the themes behind the story.

Even with the little head start I'm getting from TIFF, I'm starting to feel like if I see one movie in theaters per week for the rest of the year, my dance card is already close to full.  Shape of Water, 3 Billboards, Disaster Artist, Death of Stalin, Lady Bird, Woodshock, The Snowman, The Square, Suburbicon, Murder on the Orient Express, Call Me By Your Name, Happy End, The Work, etc.