DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

Is ScarJo that hard up for cash that she's doing movies that would be beneath her 8 years ago? 

No, I think she's figured out that some movies you take to get paid and some movies you take for the artistry.

Netflix has acquired the right to The Other Side of the Wind - Orson Wells' final, unfinished film

Netflix said they will restore it and complete it

Frank Marshall - who was an assistant producer when production first began (oh BTW, in 1970!) - will over see the completing of the film

The Matrix is getting rebooted and the W sisters aren't involved. Keanu is open to returning. Looks like Zak Penn is going to be writing it.

I'm fucking stoked. Yeah, reboots are dumb and I'd almost rather see additional sequels that retcon the shit out of 2 and 3, but I'm fine with more Matrix movies as long as they're done right.

In fact, if Keanu is returning, I don't see why you couldn't just do a sequel that retcons 2 and 3. Have some free folks believe in the legend of Neo who seek out to find him. They eventually find him and Neo is still played by Keanu. I would resist the temptation to avoid there being a new anomaly and still have Neo be the only anomaly. Then they take on a new big bad and the script makes good on the premise set up at the end of the first movie. Nothing happens in Zion.

Hell, I already look at the John Wick movies as Neo just doing random missions anyway. It's like how I can't watch a western without thinking it's a story for guests to play out in Westworld.

I am not really sure if not including the W Sisters in a Matrix reboot is a good thing or a bad thing.   Their track record with everything non Matrix is pretty horrible, but their main complaint about the trilogy was that they felt that the studio rushed them and they didn't have ample time to tell the story.

I'd feel a lot better about the Matrix reboot if:

1) The W Sisters were involved creatively.

and

2) It followed the recent trend of turning movies into television shows. 

This thing could be a tent pole for Syfy or a premium network if done properly.

Telling Neo's story in several hour-long episodes rather than cramming the tale into a single two and a half hour timeframe with years in between installments may be the thing the doctor ordered.

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am not really sure if not including the W Sisters in a Matrix reboot is a good thing or a bad thing.   Their track record with everything non Matrix is pretty horrible, but their main complaint about the trilogy was that they felt that the studio rushed them and they didn't have ample time to tell the story.

I'd feel a lot better about the Matrix reboot if:

1) The W Sisters were involved creatively.

and

2) It followed the recent trend of turning movies into television shows. 

This thing could be a tent pole for Syfy or a premium network if done properly.

Telling Neo's story in several hour-long episodes rather than cramming the tale into a single two and a half hour timeframe with years in between installments may be the thing the doctor ordered.

That's one hell of a post edit. You rewrote nearly everything you said initially. 

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's one hell of a post edit. You rewrote nearly everything you said initially. 

I replaced my gut reaction with more insightful comments.

My dad always said don't engage the mouth before the brain and I failed.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ace said:

Speed Racer was underrated.

To this day, my daughter loves that movie and I was a Mach-Go-Go mark when I was a child, so I cannot speak ill of Speed Racer.

Jupiter Ascending was garbage.

I slept through the parts of Cloud Atlas that did not involve Sonmi-451 walking around in a tiny dress made of blue latex. 

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah - never respond to JT in the first 5 minutes after he posts.

They almost always look different

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - never respond to JT in the first 5 minutes after he posts.

They almost always look different

I am not the only person that goes from GRAAAHHHGGGHGHGH~!!! HAAAATEEEE~!!!! to "Hm, maybe I am overreacting?" over the course of posting to the board.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Kids movie with "Highway to Hell" in the trailer? First time for everything, I guess.

That's a fair point. But I didn't consider that to be out of line for a PG movie.  I didn't mean to imply that I figured it to be a G-rated movie - just that the tone of the trailer was significantly younger than the movie itself.  

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

The only thing I've learned from this thread so far is now BOTH Wachowskis are trans.  No idea how I missed that.

IW8simF.gif

You're not alone. When I read one of the articles somewhere about the reboot I noticed that both of their names changed. I kinda did a double take and wondered for a moment if they had another sister and the one brother just wasn't involved anymore.

I'm hoping they're not involved in the reboot in any sort of way though. I also still think it should just be sequels. The first one is damn near perfect, so what good does re-doing that movie serve? I would assume it's just to lead into sequels that are different, but that shit just doesn't fly. Look at Ghostbusters 2016. I know there are people who liked it, but man, to me, that movie fucking sucked. It just wasn't good. And then you see the stinger at the end and it's like, oh, of course they intended on making more of these without even waiting to see how successful or good the first one was.

I'd much rather see the story continued in some way shape or form, rather than reinventing the wheel. Whether if that's done as a movie or, as JT suggested, a TV series (and I would be more in favor of that), just continue the story and retcon the horribly dumb stuff. Ignoring X-Men: Apocalypse, look at what Days of Future Past did for the X-Men franchise. It is possible to continue the story and do a reboot without actually rremaking a movie. 

Although, if they are going to reboot via remake, a TV series would be the best vehicle for that. I'm far more interested in the 12 Monkeys tv series than the movie. There's always more stories to tell and if you spread your story out over 10 to 13 episodes, you have the time for those more interesting moments that you wouldn't have in a movie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Spending time with Sam Jackson must have rubbed off. 

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back did it best:

Matt Damon: Hey shove it, Bounce-boy. Let's remember who talked who into doing this shit in the first place. Talking me into Dogma was one thing, but this...

Ben Affleck: Hey look, I'm sorry I dragged you away from whatever-gay-serial-killers-who-ride-horses-and-like-to-play-golf-touchy-feely-picture you're supposed to be doing this week.

Matt Damon: I take it you haven't seen Forces of Nature?

Ben Affleck: You're like a child. What've I been telling you? You gotta do the safe picture. Then you can do the art picture. But then sometimes you gotta do the payback picture because your friend says you owe him.

Ben Affleck: And sometimes, you go back to the well.

Matt Damon: And sometimes, you play Reindeer Games.

Ben Affleck: See, that's just mean.

• Like 3

The other Wachowski sibling just came out as trans a few weeks ago, so don't feel too bad about not knowing.

As for a Matrix reboot...

WB actually WAS looking to develop it as a TV show recently but shelved it for new movies instead.

My knee jerk response is to hate the idea of doing this without the Wachowskis involved...but then I remembered that they made exactly ONE good Matrix movie and pretty quickly drove the franchise into the ground.  Yeah, they were under a lot of pressure from the suits to rush those movies into production, but when you look at the movies the Wachowskis have made on their own good time since then, most of them are just as much of a mess with a lot of the same problems as the latter Matrix films.

So with that in mind, I'm cool with the idea of new voices coming on and telling new stories in that universe (the concept certainly allows for it) but they can FUCK STRAIGHT OFF if they intend to just remake the first movie.  That thing is untouchable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'd be down for them making more of The Animatrix.  That was the only non-first movie thing that I didn't hate.

That's a pretty low bar to hurdle, it was the only non-first movie thing in the franchise that was any good.

• Like 2

I wondered why the story of the Matrix was never advanced by way of books, similar to Star Wars. WB just stuck with that really mediocre MMO and if you read some of the lore from it, it's actually interesting. The opportunity was there to do something more with the story and it looked like no one cared.