DVDVR Message Board

Raw is You Making the List - 10/3/2016

Dolfan in NYC

Look at that, a Raw that was well-written and it was one of the best post-split weeklies. Having a hot crowd helps a lot too.

TJP/Kendrick was better than their match at the Clash. I guess they get one more at HIAC. I thought Nese looked the best he has in WWE too. He had that one cool sequence at the beginning of his match that totally got the crowd into him.

I wonder who Braun's "real competition" will be. I liked that they actually had a payoff to the constant squashes.

Seth's interview and run-in with Steph was the first real effort they've put into making him a face. He didn't pretend he wasn't an asshole, but they set up the lone wolf (sorry Baron Corbin) narrative to give the crowd a reason to get behind him.

The only direction that didn't make sense on this show was Gallows and Anderson. They're way past being credible threats, and Cesaro and Sheamus will be a better version of them anyway. I've gotta give them credit for making me interested in Sheamus again, though. The bickering is funny, and you know they're gonna be badass once they get on the same page.

Jeri-KO was great as usual. That break-up tease was so hot and well-timed. New Day was good in this segment too, and it's a testament to all 4 guys that they were able to keep mostly the right face/heel reactions for the whole promo and match. The 70s guys were something. You could tell they were wrestling fans at least, and the line about Jericho losing to Fandango at Mania was pretty good. Too bad they clowned Corey, but Byron needed someone to stand up for him. For some reason, I imagined Vince getting really mad when he heard them call a "non-title contest" a "friendly."

Emma-Lina? ... Ok.

The Sasha/Charlotte stuff was great. That was some creative editing of their NXT feud to make Charlotte look like the heel the whole time, lol. Other than that minor complaint, though, everything was perfect. Bayley snapping was a very efficient use of 2 minutes. Made Bayley look good, and got Dana out of the picture. I don't know if this match was better than the 7/25 one, but I love that they continually build on each match they have, just like Zayn and Owens. Charlotte's dive was amazing and totally unexpected. Sasha had some nice moments too like not being denied on her opening dive, the timing on her double knee drop nearfall, and the la mistica version of the Bank Statement. I really hope the re-match is in the cell. They absolutely deserve it, and that video package made it feel like the most cell-worthy feud on the roster. It's probably too much to hope that it would be the main event, even though this would be as good a time as any to pull the trigger on that.

• Like 1

I was going say how silly it is to give Emma this new gimmick and not put her on Total Divas but then I realized someone probably only thought of it last week.

And most likely while they were killing kittens on her Instagram account

Great match between Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks as Banks regained the WWE RAW Women's Championship. The first RAW women's main event since Lita beat Trish Stratus for the WWE Women's Championship in December 2004.

Very funny segment between Jeri-KO and the New Day with the former making it. Like the tease of Jericho challenging for Owens' WWE Universal Championship for that and KO saying they would go for the New Day's WWE RAW Tag Team Championship as he was originally reluctant to Jericho's idea.

Holy shit, that women's match.  That Sky Twister Press.  The Bank Statement that nearly folded Charlotte in half!

Braum cut a fucking promo.  HE HAS MIC SKILLZ, TOO~?

Damn, just as Ashton Kutcher comes up with the genius Jerk-O taunt for Owens and Jericho, booking is beginning to tease the eventual split.

Kendrick as grumpy elder statesman cruiserweight continues to kick ass.

I like the pairing of Cesaro and Sheamus.  They actually sound like they are becoming real life friends.  It makes the muddled 3-3 booking of the Best of Seven start to make sense now, what with battle turning men into brothers and you don't really know a person until you fight them all that kind of grudging respect warrior speak. 

The problem is that the tag champs are the babiest of baby faces and they are so fucking over and there is only one heel tag-team of merit on Raw, so what do you with Cesaro and Sheamus as baby faces? 

Either Anderson and Gallows are going to have to FINALLY win the belts and fend off challenges from face teams or Mick is going to have to bring in some heel opposition to balance the tag division.  Turning New Day into heels right now is completely out of the question.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Sasha is great for wanting to try for bigger and bolder things in her matches, but her execution of them has always been off and something that damn near scares the shit out of me every time.

This. Everytime she goes for any sort of dive or top rope move, I'm scared as shit lol 

Having said that, as tired as I have been of this storyline, I did enjoy the main event. Loved that the WWE made it feel important, something that they couldn't be bothered to do for any women's match before this Revolution/Evolution. And Charlotte has truly come into her own as a heel. She has to be one of the true NXT success stories. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

All I know is that apparently losing multiple title matches to New Day makes you the most dominant tag team on RAW

That was the dumbest thing I've heard on RAW segment in recent memory.

The worst thing about Cole's "Swann just loves to have fun" line was that it came just after Corey Graves did a nice spot of commentary building up Swann as a competitor and why he's legit rather than just a happy dancing dude. It was like Cole was correcting Corey, like "No, no Corey. None of that. Swann just loves to have fun. That's it. No more is needed"

• Like 2

When you look at Jericho compared to the rest of the roster it is pretty amazing the chasm between him and every other regular when it comes to experience. He was in the original ECW and both WCW and WWE during the absolute searing peak of pro wresting in the last 25 odd years.

I really think they could have something nuclear in a one off for Survivor Series in Canada between him and Owens.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

When you look at Jericho compared to the rest of the roster it is pretty amazing the chasm between him and every other regular when it comes to experience. He was in the original ECW and both WCW and WWE during the absolute searing peak of pro wresting in the last 25 odd years.

I really think they could have something nuclear in a one off for Survivor Series in Canada between him and Owens.

I expect Owens vs. Jericho for the WWE Universal Championship at Survivor Series. Hope so but I'm enjoying the Best Friends together.

I missed it but they actually said "fans" and "crowd" last night and not "universe"

Meltzer said on the radio show that it might not be a permanent change but at least for now they are "taking stock on some things"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonteCarl said:

The worst thing about Cole's "Swann just loves to have fun" line was that it came just after Corey Graves did a nice spot of commentary building up Swann as a competitor and why he's legit rather than just a happy dancing dude. It was like Cole was correcting Corey, like "No, no Corey. None of that. Swann just loves to have fun. That's it. No more is needed"

You could almost hear Cole gritting his teeth, begrudgingly say it as Vince was screaming in his ear. 

• Like 2

He was played out though. It's not as if there aren't peaks and valleys in a nearly 30 year career. Like, remember that time Orton hit him with an RKO as Jericho was going for the top rope belly flop and then he claimed it was such a creative spot never seen before only to throw a fit when people called him out for that? Valley. This run is certainly his finest work since the Michaels feud.

• Like 2

Speaking of Jericho - originally he was supposed to be done in November but it might be longer now as I guess Fozzy's schedule has changed.

But anyway - for those thinking they are rushing the Jeri-KO breakup, it is because they want to make sure it is done before Jericho leaves again

• Like 1

Imagine the crowd if they did Jericho/Owens at Survivor Series. Two Canadians in a WWE Universal Title match in Canada. It would be amazing. And I don't think you'd have to turn either guy face or heel against the other. Both of their characters work either way for either of them to get fed up with the other and lead to a match. Maybe one day Jericho catches Owens' disregard for his $750 scarf so Jericho puts him on The List. Boom. Owens is pissed off. Jericho is pissed off. Title match. And what's funny is that I think that's all that would really be needed to build those two to an epic match as both their character's have been built perfectly the last few months that it would make total sense AND the crowd would get it and be right along for that ride.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Nobody mentioned what Kevin Owens did before New Day vs. Jeri-KO? Jericho unraveled his scarf, folded it and passed it to KO. As soon as CJ turned his back, Owens' threw it in the air over himself. Hilarious.

Best wishes, @Greggulator.

He did that last week as well and it cracked me the hell up. It's the opposite of the Perfect tossing the towel to Heenan. He tosses the scarf and Owens just throws it away. When Owens turns on Jericho, oh man it's gonna be good.

JERICHO, I NEVER LIKED THAT STUPID SCARF.

• Like 2