DVDVR Message Board

Raw is You Making the List - 10/3/2016

Dolfan in NYC

Jericho is basically the David Ortiz of Raw. Just blowing everyone out of the water at the age of 45. So impressive.

This may just be me but I didn't get any vibes of a Bayley heel turn. After the talk by Meltz and others a few months back of her "outgrowing" her gimmick the longer she stayed in NXT, I get the vibe that they are pushing the fact that she's "young and little" down our throats now to counter that.

The Young/Backlund deal been dropped already?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Zac_Fu said:

That time when the two dudes from the 70s Show come around and make your whole broadcast team sound like shit.

That was fucking brutal. In a perfect world, Corey Graves smacks the shit out of them, doesn't get arrested, doesn't get sued, yada yada yada. 

I cringed when Michael Cole dropped the "Rich Swann just loves to have fun". I knew it was coming and I was dreading it. 

• Like 2

Sasha isn't the cleanest wrestler around, but her big-match layouts more than make up for that, to me. They're unique, ambitious, reference previous work, and build towards more. I care more about those things. Charlotte was amazing tonight too. Not just athletically, but in conveying a desire to hurt Sasha--which ultimately cost her the win. While they're setting milestones, let them blow this off in the cell.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

We've all seen Sasha and Charlotte do these moves before in NXT,  or did some of you not watch NXT?  I'm confused on this.  Let them work their match.

Sasha lacks body control. I remember she pulled the tope on Bayley during that epic match. Her head nearly hit the apron. For comparison sake, she did the same move with Naomi and Naomi has noticeably more lift and safely away from the apron. Sasha nearly hit her neck again. It is not that she is not athletic enough. She does not have the power in her legs to do that safely and with body control. She is damn near killing herself. Every time Sasha dives she is floundering in the air with her feet flailing and shit. Sure she has gotten lucky sometimes(Wrestlemania she got super fucking lucky), but it is a matter of her luck running out. She either does some heavy squats and I mean ass to grass, or she stops doing the dives before we see something fucking horrific like Cesaro. I honestly think that the ropes are higher in the main show because even Adrian Neville has made adjustments to his dives(he used to do the 180 front without touching the ropes, now every time he tries that dive, it is a handspring)

And Cesaro is way too lanky trying to squeeze in those ropes, and he does not need to do dives at all.

Just now, Beech27 said:

While they're setting milestones, let them blow this off in the cell.

I wouldn't mind seeing Sasha/Charlotte work an old school style cage match, chop the shit out of each other and work limbs like Garvin/Flair  BUT the cell...   man, I just don't like the cell anymore. I can't remember the last time I watched a hell in a cell and it blew me away.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Sasha/Charlotte work an old school style cage match, chop the shit out of each other and work limbs like Garvin/Flair  BUT the cell...   man, I just don't like the cell anymore. I can't remember the last time I watched a hell in a cell and it blew me away.

I don't disagree with any of that. But I'm (foolishly?) optimistic they could make it a fun brawl, rather than keep escalating dives and counters. It would also fit the narrative since a) Dana is theoretically kept away; b) Charotte can make good on her promise to put Sasha out of action in a match that's sold as very dangerous. So both have a reason to offer/accept the match, and the crowd would treat it like a huge deal. 

Glad to see Reigns vs. Rusev will be in the cell. Jeri/KO & new Day's segment was great fun. The match itself wasn't bad either though I thought Kutcher & Masterson talked maybe a little too much. At the same time they weren't nearly as bad on commentary as I thought they would be.

Charlotte/Sasha was fantastic and possibly their best match yet. It did feel weird seeing no shenanigans during or after the match. I guess I kept expecting Nia to bulldoze through both at the end.

37 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This isn't really true.  Sasha did those spots all the time in NXT.  It just so happens that on RAW for whatever reason she isn't hitting them as cleanly of late.

Well, no, she didn't. She saved them purely for big matches and tended to nearly kill herself on them each time in NXT as well. Sasha is great for wanting to try for bigger and bolder things in her matches, but her execution of them has always been off and something that damn near scares the shit out of me every time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

I remember she pulled the tope on Bayley during that epic match. Her head nearly hit the apron.

I'm just not seeing it dude. If I thought she nearly hit the apron I'd say it but this looks cleanly executed to me.  Should Sasha chill a bit? Maybe, but that can be said for a lot of people.  I think Charlotte needs to be more careful with her opponents too but they are all pretty young too.. they will continue to progress.  It's amazing that they are all in their 20s having great matches on the main roster.

3yryUGf.gif

49 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

There are constant talks of what the women can't do that men can't, but I always point out that Submission wrestling always tends to be better with women, and that finish is a prime example why. Women are much more bendy (that's a pro term) and can make a move like the Bank Statement look like god damned death.

I've always disagreed with this because women being more bendy is such common knowledge and so commonly observed in cheerleading and what not that I never buy into those deep, dramatic submissions. 

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

tended to nearly kill herself on them each time in NXT as well.

I don't have anything to add to this really. I watched her in NXT just as everyone else did and I never felt her dives to the outside were off. She did one against Becky while selling an arm and it was executed clean as well and I remember everyone here loving that spot.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That was fucking brutal. In a perfect world, Corey Graves smacks the shit out of them, doesn't get arrested, doesn't get sued, yada yada yada. 

I cringed when Michael Cole dropped the "Rich Swann just loves to have fun". I knew it was coming and I was dreading it. 

What was awful was that Cole said it correctively, as if some mysterious figure suggested through his ear piece that it needed to be said.

Guys, I'm like a little schoolgirl excited for how over Jericho is and the job he's doing. And how everyone on the roster respects him so much that they're all just playing along. I'll probably be pissed if they water it down with a face turn, but for now, just drinking in the gift.

• Like 4

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm just not seeing it dude. If I thought she nearly hit the apron I'd say it but this looks cleanly executed to me.  Should Sasha chill a bit? Maybe, but that can be said for a lot of people.  I think Charlotte needs to be more careful with her opponents too but they are all pretty young too.. they will continue to progress.  It's amazing that they are all in their 20s having great matches on the main roster.

3yryUGf.gif

That looks pretty damn close to me. Too damn close. My rule of thumb is that if you are not past the ring steps when you Tope, you are too damn close. Her head is literally right next to the apron.

I linked it right where we see her do the same dive. Same result. She needs to work on it. And yeah, I can give it time, but right now, she needs body control.

Great match, but Sasha gives me a heart attack every time she dives.

3 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

I linked it right where we see her do the same dive. Same result. She needs to work on it.

Nah I agree that the one you linked from the main roster was close but the one from NXT Brooklyn she got a lot more air. Maybe she's hampered with injuries on the main roster and can't get the same air. She seems to be moving a bit slower on the main also so that could be the case. Didn't Meltzer just say the other night that she's still working hurt?

You know what was weird for a Raw?  Everything on this show made sense.  

I think this Sheamus/Cesaro team is going to be a lot of fun when they just tweak it a bit.  The first time Sheamus actually saves Cesaro, the place is probably gonna explode.  BTW, that move Cesaro attempted (jumping off Sheamus' sweaty back) was probably more dangerous and closer to causing serious injury than anything in the women's match.

Also, I loved this crowd.  They chanted "This is wrestling" and "This is awesome" during the main.  They marked OUT for Nese's dodge of the clothesline and striking combo.  They laughed at the right times.

29 minutes ago, caley said:

Also, I loved this crowd.  They chanted "This is wrestling" and "This is awesome" during the main.  

Wow.  Those two sentences don't go together at all.

You should probably avoid all NXT/ROH/TNA/Indie shows. Their love might induce a seizure.*

*I know what you mean.   That was a good crowd.  But some of these fucking chants REALLY need to be retired...  "This is awesome" has become absolutely meaningless. 

The fans are turning Jericho face and the WWE will be in a perfect position to capitalize on it after Owens puts Rollins away.

Really enjoyable Raw (only fast-forwarded through Strowman and the Anderson-Gallows vs. Golden Truth match). But the problem at the top of Raw is that no one really gives much of a damn about their two top faces, Rollins and Reigns. Owens is SO great in his role, but he's got no one even half as worthy to dance with - for now. The New Day-JeriKO match was fantastic fun despite the Hollywood guys' best efforts and Cole's constant plugging of their Netflix series.

The run to the finish of the women's match, starting with that insane dive by Charlotte, was great, but up until then, I kept thinking "is that what she meant to do there, or did that get messed up somehow?" It just didn't seem smooth. I was too worried about Sasha getting hurt to get into the match. Dunno that Bailey's thing is as much of a heel turn as it is her standing up for herself and not letting people push her around.

Does no one else like Nese? I think he's a cool cocky heel with some slick moves. I thought for sure he'd lose to Swann, so I was very pleasantly surprised.