DVDVR Message Board

Game of Thrones Maesters Thread

elizium

For the life of me, I don't remember at all who the girl with the bow and arrow with Ramsey Snow and Reek is.  And I want more Reek sleeping with the dogs in the kennels. 

Shouldn't Balon be dead by now?

She's one half of the Dreadfortettes [who seduced Theon last season right before he got his dick cut off].  Their quarry was the other half.  They're not in the books.

Balon died first in the book -- Robb receives the report right before the Red Wedding.  I assume they changed the order because going in order would tip their hand on offing Joffrrey and they wanted this to be a surprise.  Same reason why they didn't show Tommen at all in season 3, I suppose.

Balon probably won't die until they're ready to follow it up with the Kingsmoot/focusing on The Iron Islands/cast the roles of Euron, Victarion, and Aeron, when the ramifications of his death will be more clear.  Or that there can even BE ramifications for that matter. 

• Like 1

Clayton.  Here's whodunnit..

The events of how Joffrey was poisoned are sketchy, but Oleanna and Petyr Baelish were the ones that hatched the plot to assassiate Joffrey.

Sansa being the patsy is an important part of the plan.

If the plot is discovered, then suspicion falls on Sansa and she will be forced to align herself with House Tyrell and House Baelish and flee the South before the Lannisters execute her for treason.

Remember that Petyr wants to unify the North either under his own banner or under House Arryn's banner wth himself as a power behind the throne. 

Petyr has tried to broker a marriage between Sansa and House Arryn before and tried to marry Sansa himself and failed on both occasions.  On a philosphical note, the assumption is also that Petyr's motivation for the plot is so that he can avenge the murder of Catelyn Stark.  It is no coincidence that Joffrey dies on his wedding day.

What do the Tyrells get out of the deal?  They gain more sway over the Iron Throne as Margaery sinks her hooks into Tommen and becomes more influential with the new king than Tywin (whose days are numbered) or Cersei (who couldn't lead wolves to raw meat) would be.

• Like 1

The Tyrells also get to protect their beloved child from an sadistic abusive monster husband.

Yeah, *ahem* attempts at seduction don't have the affect on Joffrey that you'd usually expect to see on a normal guy.

Margaery ain't exactly the ingenue waiting for a chivalrous knight to defend her, though.  She's just as shrewd her grandma is with the added benefits of youth and hotness.

IMO, it is obvious that Margaery was in on the plot.  Margaery couldn't have avoided drinking from the same cup as her husband as per tradition on their wedding day, so I believe that Oleanna got her an antidote to The Strangler so that she could drink freely and avoid scrutiny.

As muich as I want to believe that Margaery was genuinely concerned about Sansa and wanted to befriend her, I still think that Margaery gaining Sansa's trust was all part of the plan.

• Like 1

Diana Rigg as Emma Peel in the infamous "bondage club ep" of The Avengers that was deemed too racy for US television.

emmaleather.jpeg

Wow.....

So rumor and urban legend has it that there was talk of the producers of the Avengers and Diana Rigg filing a lawsuit against Marvel Comics because:

Black+Queen.jpg

• Like 1

I'm just dropping by into this nightmarish "word"-scape to ask a question about the Olenna thing...that I was spoiled by io9 for:

Why does she need to hide the little crystal in Sansa's necklace?  Like, no one is patting down the grandmother of the bride at the wedding...why not just have it in her pocket?  It seems unnecessarily risky and like a caper for the sake of a caper to involve a bunch more people than need be.

• Like 1

Why does she need to hide the little crystal in Sansa's necklace?  Like, no one is patting down the grandmother of the bride at the wedding...why not just have it in her pocket?  It seems unnecessarily risky and like a caper for the sake of a caper to involve a bunch more people than need be.

Sansa is the scapegoat in case things go wrong and the assassination is botched or foiled.  She's got the poison on her, she's got the motive to want Joffrey dead, she's got no political allies.  Also, the average Westeros courtier could, not knowing Sansa personally, be led to believe that Sansa is jealous of Margaery "taking her spot" and thus would want to take Marge out too, and presenting Margaery as also being an intended victim keeps the Tyrells above suspicion and their hands clean, so they can try again later.  In the books, the poisoned cup is not an ordinary goblet as seen last episode; it's that massive and gaudy crunk chalice Margaery's dad Mace Tyrell gave as a wedding present.  A cup that Joff and Marge would be expected to share and drink jointly from during the ceremony to symbolize their new union because it is so large as to be impractical for normal uses.  Thus "they wanted to kill Margaery too!" is plausible.

Mace's crunk chalice would, of course, be an unwieldly prop for all the cup shenanigans that go down in that wedding scene, so it's understandable they would use a normal goblet instead.

This is as far as I can go without knowing how much you've been spoiled on.  You're welcome to PM me if you want.

• Like 1

What Bobby said.  Setting up Sansa supposedly was Petyr Baelish's idea, but not because he wants her to take the fall. 

He wants to give Sansa no choice but to align herself with House Baelish.  No one knows the fate of Arya or Bran, so Sansa is assumed to be the only surviving member of House Stark. 

Anyone who marries her pretty much has a legitimate claim to most of the Northern holdfasts, including Winterfell and The Aerie.

• Like 1

Game Of Thrones director Alex Graves has claimed that the finale of series four will be the "episode to end all episodes".
He added: "Episode 10 of the season is, you know, as David and Dan will tell you, it's the first true finale they've ever done and it's really the episode to end all episodes. It's the largest episode they've ever made."
Read more at http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/game-of-thrones-director-teases-huge-series-final/336967#bRoSuixZjKwSOsXr.99

How does book 3 end again? 

Game Of Thrones director Alex Graves has claimed that the finale of series four will be the "episode to end all episodes".
He added: "Episode 10 of the season is, you know, as David and Dan will tell you, it's the first true finale they've ever done and it's really the episode to end all episodes. It's the largest episode they've ever made."

Read more at http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/game-of-thrones-director-teases-huge-series-final/336967#bRoSuixZjKwSOsXr.99

How does book 3 end again? 

LIttlerfinger with the "Only Cat" kick wham Moon Door on Lysa Tully

Epilogue is the Lady Stoneheart reveal.

• Like 1

'Kick Wham Moon Door' will be the funniest thing I read today, and it makes me really want to see SCSA as Littlefinger.

Since they moved back the Balon Greyjoy death, does anyone think they will move up the Kingsmoot stuff, or does this season end with Crow's Eye being introduced?

'Kick Wham Moon Door' will be the funniest thing I read today, and it makes me really want to see SCSA as Littlefinger.

Since they moved back the Balon Greyjoy death, does anyone think they will move up the Kingsmoot stuff, or does this season end with Crow's Eye being introduced?

Littlefinger did give Ned the "DTA, sumbitch!" speech, after all...

I can't see them doing The Kingsmoot until season 5, so they don't have to worry about casting Vic/Euron/Damphair (and paying those actors) until then.  Balon's death will probably be his only scene this season, and that could come as late as episode 10 since there's no need to follow up on it beyond Yara hearing about it (or maybe she doesn't hear about it until it's too late.  Yara's in "No longer following the books" territory with this Chasing Ramsay plot so there's no longer any predicting what she does.)

Pretty much everyone (who's read the books) at my usual Sunday screening party was SUPER pissed that they changed the character and feel of one scene tonight.

So Jaime rapes Cersei instead of their last time being consensual? I really don't understand what purpose that serves from a narrative or character perspective. it was just super uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Yeah, it didn't feel right at all. The entire episode tonight was a placeholder for future things to come. In the future, we will have Tyrion's trial. In the future, we will see the Wildlings attack the Wall.  In the future, they will go to Craster's Keep. In the future, we will see Tommen become King. In the future, we will see Arya and the Hound get somewhere. In the future, Tyrion will talk to Jaime. In the future, Stannis will do something. In the future, you will see the assault on Mereen. I know that episodes like this are necessary but after watching all of Season 1 and Season 2 in marathon sessions and halfway through Season 3, there are very few placeholder episodes. 

Yeah, didn't really like the Jamie change in the Sept.  Also, I don't think Davos went to the Iron Bank for help, they were still using what army Stannis had left.  Its also annoying that they hotshotted that scene last season of Davos giving the note from the raven that the Wall needed help, and Mellesandre agreed and it looked like they were gonna go kick ass, and then... nothing.  They're holding for when they finally kill off Balon and and Wildlings attack.  Although it looks like its gonna be one assault instead of two.